-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 63 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 62 63
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I changed the flash hider on the Mk12 to see if that would make a difference. And put copper anti-seize on the threads. It worked smile

I bought some blue Loctite, and will try it first, after I clean off the anti-seize blush

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just wanted to give this a bump for those feeling confident in their gear.

wink

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
yep I got to change out a Noveske barrel and shoot this again with a BHW barrel sitting on my bench. We will be waiting for Deere2320 to shoot this all day long with his all day long MOA DD.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've got a load developed that has potential to place my CLE barreled SPR in the top 3........."if I do my part" grin

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Still deer season around here for a few weeks, no way I'm shooting until we are clear and all my 10s have survived and are doing fine... and then we've done the spring thing and made sausage... but the box of 75 amax are still in the mule... LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by wareagle700

wink

700, I vote to close the thread while I still have good standing in the rankings and my ego in tact. Thanks sir whistle

Seriously tho, and I'm not talking shiyut to anybody.... but it is interesting how often you hear about rifles that can do the proverbial 1" all day. But when a test like this comes along lots of shooters get quiet.
This is the first time I've done two tens to see what's what and its light years apart from hittin that .300 group from your best bolt gun and feeling smug about it.
My biggest question is I feel I'm doing a pretty good job as the shooter, but I don't think I possess the fine tuning skills to KNOW that I'm maximizing the potential of my rifle/ammo..

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was a fun and interesting thread, I learned some things from it.

I've noticed lately the Daniel Mk12 and the AR10 seem to be doing better. Maybe the barrels are starting to get broken in a touch more, or I'm getting smarter about technique, loading, etc.

I have a Noveske 18" SPR barrel on hand, need to finish the install and get the rifle running. That would give me a couple of medium-weight 5.56's to play with.

What sort of accuracy challenge should be we try next? Calibers other than 5.56? Bolt guns? smile

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Certifiable, I think my visual skills are going as well but with good humor and humility let's press on!

I recollect shooting 3 shot groups just a few years ago and calling them "good" thanks to our friend War Eagle we have all been to the re-education facility. Deer season is over here, so back to burning powder.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A bolt gun challenge would be fun. Not just a challenge for bench accuracy, one that test the shooters skill also.

I'll work on getting something together, any ideas are welcome.

Last edited by wareagle700; 01/15/16.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Certifiable

wink

700, I vote to close the thread while I still have good standing in the rankings and my ego in tact. Thanks sir whistle

Seriously tho, and I'm not talking shiyut to anybody.... but it is interesting how often you hear about rifles that can do the proverbial 1" all day. But when a test like this comes along lots of shooters get quiet.
This is the first time I've done two tens to see what's what and its light years apart from hittin that .300 group from your best bolt gun and feeling smug about it.
My biggest question is I feel I'm doing a pretty good job as the shooter, but I don't think I possess the fine tuning skills to KNOW that I'm maximizing the potential of my rifle/ammo..

NO matter the position you are trying to improve, IMHO one of the best things you can do is dry fire a ton. Gets you used to the rifle. Makes you relax more or totally if thats possible on the gun. You and the gun become one. From years of competition, while I can tell you about when my gun is going to fire, I"ve never actually fired a gun in years.... it goes off when things are still right at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later, but again, IMHO, thats a sign that you are relaxed and doing things right.
To me the worst things we can do to make our guns not shoot up to their potential is what we do to them and thats most often muscling in one form or another, even if its only tight muscles and not even pushing on the gun.

See what the BR guys do... don't touch the gun basically... free recoil, only touch the trigger as much as you have to, to get it to go bang....

Which, funny as it may seem, is often why you can't get 10 shot groups to stay small... most often the driver wobbles....

Ice in the veins is a good corollary in many ways... seems stupid, but in reality calm and relaxed and things are much better.

The ways we learn this is by firing the guns a lot. And dry firing them a lot...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Let me add one other thing, even with a perfect shot break, if I find my gun recoiling other than straight back and up, at least with an AR, which ever way it recoils, left or right, thats where that bullet is going to end up... muscle tension created that issue of recoiling to the side generally...FWIW

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yep, I enjoyed the challenge, it made me rethink my equipment and mostly my technique (if you can call it that).

I caught a few things in my loading as well, one being bent rims that might have more to do with "flyers" than the bullets. I need to segregate some brass as well cause I load for my shortest chamber which leaves my longest with too much headspace. Still safe but not the best for accuracy.

It's plenty of fun to argue on the net about stupid stuff but things that make you learn are even funner.

Just remember on the bolt challenge, all of mine are pencil barreled Montucky's... Maybe heavy and light categories?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The bolt gun challenge won't be a high volume challenge. I'll keep it sporter barrel friendly and no long strings of fire.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That sounds fine. I vote for single shots allowed as well, even if they aren't tacticool grin

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Rost, I rekkon all that to be true in spades...

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Rost, I rekkon all that to be true in spades...
Maybe , maybe not, but its what Carolyn and I found over the years to be the truth for us at least.

Hopefully it helps others...

One of the best things I did for bullseye pistol rapid fire strings was sit on the couch just cock the hammer and drop it repetitively... just so I could get quick and smooth on the rapid strings....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Include irons and offhand in the new challenge please.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My plan is to include multiple shooting positions that people use in the field, in the same challenge. It would be tough to include irons without making a whole different target. I'm trying to keep it simple and on 1 piece of paper that people can print out. An irons only challenge would be fun though.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A bolt gun challenge would be fun. Not just a challenge for bench accuracy, one that test the shooters skill also.

I'll work on getting something together, any ideas are welcome.

Shoot different field positions, something like the Carl Ross postal shoot... I like the idea of shooting bolt guns. One day I'll get an AR, but until then I'll play along with my old bolt rifles...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Keep an eye out in the hunting rifles section for the bolt gun challenge. Rules and directions to follow.

Target:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w4u857gcu0ijatb/Bolt%20Target.pdf?dl=0

Page 25 of 63 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,686
Posts18,456,386
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.