Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Breakfast is perhaps my favorite meal, and one of my favorite summer breakfasts is my version of a broiled tomato.

Cut a deep crater at the stem end of a large tomato. Salt and pepper the crater. Sprinkle with some oregano and slivers of fresh basil leaves. Nestle the tomato on a slice of toast. Fill the crater and the edges of the toast with cheese (cheddar, mozzarella or asiago are great. Today I used Mexican Four Cheeses.) Drizzle the tomato and toast with olive oil. Now microwave for 90-120 seconds depending on size of tomato.

Voila!

[Linked Image]

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks and sounds better than just my cup of coffee. Will have to give it a try soon.

Sean
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
While very creative and certainly attractive, I just can't wrap my mind around tomato and cheese with basil for breakfast. Give me bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes, waffles and, Cane Syrup, toast and marmalade any day. smile

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Stay tuned for tomorrow then. I plan to have British beans on toast - "w'if a egg."

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I love beans on toast, but I can no longer buy Heinz canned beans which are what I prefer, and the brand I buy while in the UK.

Not long from now and I will be enjoying a Great British fry up at my favorite little place there. Bacon, sausages, eggs, fried tomatoes, fried mushrooms, fried bread and baked beans. Fried blood pudding is also available, but not for me thanks. Once a week while I am there I will eat like this, the rest of the week I eat yogurt, fresh fruit, tea/coffee and toast (whole grain bread), like I do here at home. I seem to favour a larger breakfast on Sunday mornings.

Like Sam, I have a heart condition, along with diabetes, and staying well means staying in shape and balancing wonderful and sinful with wonderful and downright healthy.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Breakfast is perhaps my favorite meal, and one of my favorite summer breakfasts is my version of a broiled tomato.

Cut a deep crater at the stem end of a large tomato. Salt and pepper the crater. Sprinkle with some oregano and slivers of fresh basil leaves. Nestle the tomato on a slice of toast. Fill the crater and the edges of the toast with cheese (cheddar, mozzarella or asiago are great. Today I used Mexican Four Cheeses.) Drizzle the tomato and toast with olive oil. Now microwave for 90-120 seconds depending on size of tomato.

Voila!

[Linked Image]

I am wondering how that would taste with a nice smoked cheddar or smoked provolone ?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Use cheese of choice, Miss Lynn. It's all delish. I like asiago best, but don't have any in the fridge right now. I've used pepper jack, cheddar, feta, queso fresca, parmesan, and mozzarella.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stay tuned for tomorrow then. I plan to have British beans on toast - "w'if a egg."

I believe you are supposed to have bangers with that, right? And sliced tomatoes and mushrooms? laugh

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not really. BoT is actually a British evening meal dish. I make it breakfast by adding the egg.

What you describe is a "fry up" and it is indeed THE classic Brit breakfast. Egg, sausages, beans, broiled tomato, mushrooms, and black pudding.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Living abroad for the past 11 years where the British breakfast was as good as it got I am damn happy to be home where I can have a proper breakfast. This from someone that eats breakfast maybe twice a week and usually a bagel or sourdough toast.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I believe you are supposed to have bangers with that, right? And sliced tomatoes and mushrooms? laugh

If you do, the banging comes 2 to 5 few hours later, depending on your digestive tract. eek smile

John

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Plans for "BoT w'if" are on short hold. Wife has her Mahjong group coming today and she doesn't want me to cook eggs. (What, women have never smelled eggs before?)

Anywho, it means I'll be playing golf after a bowl of cereal or something. But tomorrow...

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As promised, here's my version of BoT w'if. Toast, buttered and with a skim of Marmite; then good old baked beans; and finally an egg on each piece of toast. Yum.

(Oh, my apologies: I forgot to white balance - and it's too late now!)

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good enough !!

But, I would swap out the marmite (crap) for vegemite, like a good Aussie bloke.

wink

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
And I'd be delighted to do so, also. It's hard enough to get Marmite - I had to import the dang jar and it cost a fortune.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Isn't that interesting !

I'm in a small town in the middle of nowhere, & our Walmart stocks Marmite in their "English" section.

Not so lucky for the vegemite, though.

Have to wait for friends or family to bring it over.

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Paul.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have seen Marmite on the shelves at the Walmart near the house in Enterprise, Alabama, and not far from the house here in Canada is a Fish and Chip Shop that sells Marmite and several other British Foods.

I wonder in the end how Walmart picks the places to sell such unique items ? Southeastern Alabama seems like an out of the way place, but I have seen it on the shelves there. Strange.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Huh. Guess I'll have to check my local Wally. Whoda thunk?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 70 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,356
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.