Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
It's great that 29/629 fans are happy with 44 so loads, but the op specifically asked about heavy loads. Again there is a stark difference in strength between the two guns.

Exactly. When the 44 mag first came out Winchester had a 240 grain load they advertised at 1650 fps and chrono'ed about 1600 fps from real world revolvers. Remington followed suit according to Brian Pearce. A M-29/629 will not stand up to those loads by a RedHawk. Will without a doubt.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like a bit more beef on the cylinder between the chambers.

Just reduce the caliber a bit. wink

Nothing wrong with a .41

[Linked Image]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The S&W is Carrie Underwood.

The Ruger is Janis Joplin.

Both have great music, but.....

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
The S&W is Carrie Underwood.

The Ruger is Janis Joplin.

Both have great music, but.....

Not a good comparison. Janis Joplin died young, so that doesn't really work. The Smith more or less looks like Carrie Underwood, with the longevity or mortality of Janis Joplin. grin

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Stay with light loads if you want your smith to live. With heavy loads Ruger is simply a better gun for this. Love smiths and Ruger. Smith may have better lines and triggers along with forged frames but the redhawk is stronger, a lot stronger imo, has a better lock up and was made for this type shooting. Never had problems with my 629s till I went over about 260 grains, then not so good. Stay with what it was designed for and most likely you'll never have any problems. If u wanna go heavy get a x frame, Ruger or freedom. How bout smith equals a f150 and Ruger equals dodge cummins 3500 for a better comparison.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
The Smith more or less looks like Carrie Underwood, with the longevity or mortality of Janis Joplin. grin

Well done!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Heavy billets are not good in the S&W. They can take pressures and 24 gr of 296 with a 240 and 22 gr of 2400 with the 429421 can be eaten all day. Whit and I found top is 265 for the S&W for weight. Over that and they are subject to parts inertia damage from recoil. The gun is strong and it is a design issue. If you want 300 gr+ get a Ruger.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
Heavy billets are not good in the S&W. They can take pressures and 24 gr of 296 with a 240 and 22 gr of 2400 with the 429421 can be eaten all day. Whit and I found top is 265 for the S&W for weight. Over that and they are subject to parts inertia damage from recoil. The gun is strong and it is a design issue. If you want 300 gr+ get a Ruger.

Shooting this level of load with 240-250s will in my experience loosen a Smith in a few thousand rounds, a Redhawk or Super Redhawk in double or triple that. I have yet to shoot loose a Super Blackhawk and have shot 10s of thousands of max loads through them.

With that said, I imagine a Blackhawk will blow up at a lower pressure than a Redhawk. Nevertheless, I think Blackhawks stand up to .44 mag pressures better long term.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
Whit and I found top is 265 for the S&W for weight. Over that and they are subject to parts inertia damage from recoil.

Bummer, I wanted to get a mold cut that would drop slugs at 266 grains for one of my Smiths.

Does this .405 Winchester make my butt look big?
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thank you guys. So what is a good cast load for elk without breaking the wrist?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Fotis

to answer the question, just about anything in reality, i really don't think you need to have a super heavy bullet at light speed velocities. Not according to pearce anyway, who has written about shooting clear through a elk with a .44special.
I know in my case i shot a cow elk a few years ago with a 210grain gold dot in .41magnum out of a six inch smith.
Which i posted before. It hit her so hard at the base of the skull it bulged her eyes out, and smoke coming out of her nose.
instant lights out.
I would have no qualms about any hard cast 250grain whatever in a .41, .44, or 45colt.
that bisley colt saa in .38wcf i just had worked on has an inscription on the inside of the grip, "this gun killed a grizzley sierra madre mountains mexico, two shots 1910. and a typical 38wcf load was 180grains at about 950fps.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

to answer the question, just about anything in reality, i really don't think you need to have a super heavy bullet at light speed velocities. Not according to pearce anyway, who has written about shooting clear through a elk with a .44special.
I know in my case i shot a cow elk a few years ago with a 210grain gold dot in .41magnum out of a six inch smith.
Which i posted before. It hit her so hard at the base of the skull it bulged her eyes out, and smoke coming out of her nose.
instant lights out.
I would have no qualms about any hard cast 250grain whatever in a .41, .44, or 45colt.
that bisley colt saa in .38wcf i just had worked on has an inscription on the inside of the grip, "this gun killed a grizzley sierra madre mountains mexico, two shots 1910. and a typical 38wcf load was 180grains at about 950fps.
Oh man Ron, that is cool.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

instant lights out.
Oh man Ron, that is cool.

people underestimate these ol guns all the time, until you fool with them. That colt hadn't been shot since the 50's, until bob james took it apart tightened a screw, and tweaked a spring. And since i had just reloaded some ammo, had to fire it one more time.
I ain't that good, but to pull it and fire it at some coke cans out at about 25yards, i hit i think five out of six. Maybe four out of six. There is a reason those colt/clone s.a.a.'s are still popular.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a from memory first year production, maybe second year colt in 44.40 with a spare 44special cylinder. I bought some 44.40 brass to load some black powder rounds, have never got around to doing it. According to the records i could find, it was sent to the calvary in nevada, and the head of the colt collectors club in az told me it was probably an indian gun, cause part of the barrel had been chopped. They didn't like those long barrels. I really should get busy and load a few rounds for it just to give it one more go.
I am not really getting off topic here, my point is all those calibers kilt all kinds of things from people on down, without hyper velocities or huge bullets.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 09/03/15.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm so [bleep], I can't shoot a M29 with anything but lightweight Keith bullets and Keith bullets suck, so I guess I'll just squirrel hunt with it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I like a bit more beef on the cylinder between the chambers.

Just reduce the caliber a bit. wink

Nothing wrong with a .41

[Linked Image]

just about the cats meow. i have loaded now cast bullets from 170grain up to 300grain in a .41magnum. And i think i am going to use mostly in the future a 230grain as cast at about 1000fps for most everything. I am growing more and more to dislike the blast/and recoil of the full house magnum loads, all of them.
i was talking to a poster on here yesterday about this, say a 45.70 in a contender. Yeah, it does me a lot of good when that gun bucks up so much that after firing it's somewhere over my head. Better make that first shot count at something moving at you.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 09/03/15.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm so [bleep], I can't shoot a M29 with anything but lightweight Keith bullets and Keith bullets suck, so I guess I'll just squirrel hunt with it.

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a from memory first year production, maybe second year colt in 44.40 with a spare 44special cylinder. I bought some 44.40 brass to load some black powder rounds, have never got around to doing it. According to the records i could find, it was sent to the calvary in nevada, and the head of the colt collectors club in az told me it was probably an indian gun, cause part of the barrel had been chopped. They didn't like those long barrels. I really should get busy and load a few rounds for it just to give it one more go.
I am not really getting off topic here, my point is all those calibers kilt all kinds of things from people on down, without hyper velocities or huge bullets.
I really like the 44-40. Venturino took one to Africa with him. I don't recall what game he took with it, but I think he shot some stuff. IIRC, it was loaded to about 1200 fps...probably 210 grain Sierra JHP. I have some similarly loaded. Venturino's gun was a scarce New Frontier. He felt that the heavier topstrap on the gun made it capable of hotter loads than a standard Colt SAA. I had the same model for several years. I was totally insane to get rid of it.

One of my current 44-40's...

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i don't know what i like more, the revolver or the pigsticker.
You probably should send both of them to az.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
i don't know what i like more, the revolver or the pigsticker.
You probably should send both of them to az.
Thanks.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

276 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 36 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.