Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I weighed my rifle the other day and it flat floored me. Everyone here is talking 7-8 pound finished rifles. Mine weighs 11.2 pounds and that is a plastic stocked rifle. I have a Vortex 30mm scope, 1 1/4" super-sling, and ammo sock w/ 10 rounds of ammo on a EW Mod 70 in 270WSM.

So what does your hunting rifle weigh? Outfitted for a hunt. Scope, sling, extra ammo, bi-pod, etc...

It never really bothered me until I got into my 50's but me and my rifle are on a diet. I am mainly worried if most are like me or if I am just carrying to much. The ammo sock will be the first to go and I am looking at an Edge stock.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A couple of my main rifles are at least that heavy. However, I mainly hunt long range over bean fields. I like the extra weight to get steady and I also don't usually walk very far from the vehicle.

For those times when I do expect to walk any distance, I have a couple of Tikkas. Not sure of their exact weight either, but they are much lighter. I've never hunted in the mountains or at high altitudes, so super-light rifles have never been one of my top priorities.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Depending on which one of the four I use. 6.6lbs to 8.5lbs

Last edited by EZEARL; 08/24/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy a Montana or a Tikka SL.

BC mountain sling, talley liteweights, loopy 6x36, only carry 3 rounds in the mag.

You'll be happy around 7 lbs.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yup goin on a diet.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lose the bipod, too.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
130, That is what most of my deer rifles weigh.. I had a mt. rifle once, it lasted the first part of the season.. Too light for ME to hold steady.. I have a couple lighter rifles, one a 700 with a 21" barrel in 7mm-08 another in .300 Savage.. I suppose my 300WS is 8,5 or 9 #, but I bought i on a whim rather than a serious rifle..

I like a fairly heavy rifle with a good scope.. I have lighter ones but they are for specialized hunts.. At almost 70 I decided a long time ago,what worked best for me.. That is something each hunter must do.. For me< I have a bigger problem the rifles that are to light rather than too heavy..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunter130
I weighed my rifle the other day and it flat floored me. Everyone here is talking 7-8 pound finished rifles. Mine weighs 11.2 pounds and that is a plastic stocked rifle. I have a Vortex 30mm scope, 1 1/4" super-sling, and ammo sock w/ 10 rounds of ammo on a EW Mod 70 in 270WSM.

So what does your hunting rifle weigh? Outfitted for a hunt. Scope, sling, extra ammo, bi-pod, etc...

It never really bothered me until I got into my 50's but me and my rifle are on a diet. I am mainly worried if most are like me or if I am just carrying to much. The ammo sock will be the first to go and I am looking at an Edge stock.

The edge stock will be nice on the EW. I had one (30-06) and it weighed 7 3/4 pounds all up with vx3 3.5-10x40 and ammo. I'd suggest buying a hunting vest with the ammo holders built in. Mine (that I've used for many years) holds 6 rounds and has always worked great. I've never had to dip into those, but it's nice to know you have them. Also, your vortex scope is a pig I'm sure. You should look into getting a lighter scope (and possibly mounts if you are not running Talley lightweights) as well. Swaro 3-9x36 or Leupold vx3 2.5-8x36 would be about perfect... Something of this nature:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yote Hunter, I hear where you are coming from and I love the rifle. I am going to pull the ammo carrier off and just live with the weight. I am looking at McMillian right now for a new stock - that should weigh less - but I have not wanted to give up my Bell & Carlson just yet. I like that stock, it fits me.

Just like "Tate" The components I have on the gun suit me and my hunts, I just was astonished to find out heavy it really was and how many years I have been carrying it that way.

Just to clear things up I do not have a bi-pod on it. I have a bigger scope than most (Vortex 2.5x10 Viper HS 30mm tube) and it is a full size rifle with a simple sling. I cannot imagine what the thing would weight with a wood stock.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My "deer" hunting rifle is this:

[Linked Image]

Old model 70 featherweight made in '57 chambered in 270 win. It weighs 8 pounds "all up"...

My elk rifle:
[Linked Image]
Old model 70 338 win mag. Weighs 8 pounds "all up" loaded with 5 rounds in it (yes 5).

My elephant rifle wink whistle :
[Linked Image]

10 pounds all up with ammo. 375 H&H made in 1954 (old model 70)...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The edge stock will be nice on the EW. I had one (30-06) and it weighed 7 3/4 pounds all up with vx3 3.5-10x40 and ammo. I'd suggest buying a hunting vest with the ammo holders built in. Mine (that I've used for many years) holds 6 rounds and has always worked great. I've never had to dip into those, but it's nice to know you have them. Also, your vortex scope is a pig I'm sure. You should look into getting a lighter scope (and possibly mounts if you are not running Talley lightweights) as well. Swaro 3-9x36 or Leupold vx3 2.5-8x36 would be about perfect... Something of this nature:

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the pic BSA. It is inspirational for sure. I own several Leopold VX scopes and may be buying a few more. The reason behind that particular Vortex was the super wide field of view. It is real nice in the timber of Oregon for these ol eyes.

Like it was said earlier, I guess it has a lot to do with trade offs.

What order would you put in for a stock like the one in the pic? I went to their website and there is a lot to choose from.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't see how you're getting 11+ pounds with that rifle and scope. Are you sure your scale is accurate? 7 lb rifle, 1.5 lb scope, mounts/sling/ammo carrier is another 1 lb?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Dang dude, nice rifles. Heck the reloading bench too, I am building mine.

I found one of those belt ammo wallets for my pistol belt back up gun that should help carry extra ammo for the rifle. I never go anywhere without my .44

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cast10K
I don't see how you're getting 11+ pounds with that rifle and scope. Are you sure your scale is accurate? 7 lb rifle, 1.5 lb scope, mounts/sling/ammo carrier is another 1 lb?

Maybe not, used bathroom scale. I will use mama's meat scale when I get home to verify. After what I have just learned there may be something off with my weighing / lord I hope so.

Thanks guys for the education...........

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the pic BSA. It is inspirational for sure. I own several Leopold VX scopes and may be buying a few more. The reason behind that particular Vortex was the super wide field of view. It is real nice in the timber of Oregon for these ol eyes.

Like it was said earlier, I guess it has a lot to do with trade offs.

What order would you put in for a stock like the one in the pic? I went to their website and there is a lot to choose from.

I bought that one used from a member here. It is a hunters compact edge fill with 1" pachamyr decelerator pad. Color: Olive. aluminum pillars, sling swivel studs, factory 1 piece floor plate, not exactly what barrel contour used in the EW (maybe sporter????). If anyone else can help with the extra info I left out, please do. Thanks...

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For comparison purposes:

Rem 700 Classic, short action, BDL type bottom metal, full 24" Rem sporter barrel about .65" at the muzzle

250 Savage so there's more steel in the barrel than say a 30 cal

Factory wood stock

Meopta Meopro 3-9x42

Warne steel bases and (rather heavy) rings

Leather sling

Four rounds of ammunition

It comes in right at nine pounds. The stock suits me and the weight is distributed such that it balances very well and doesn't feel heavy in the hands.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This one is just under 7 1/2 pounds as pictured with sling, but no ammo. So, probably under 8 pounds with 4 rounds of ammo. I've found over the years that 7-8 pounds ready to go is my sweet spot. Anything heavier is a pain in the a$$ to carry all day and anything much lighter is no fun to practice with at the range.

Rem 700 ADL in .308 Winchester with 24'' barrel
McMillan Remington Classic bedded with Marine-Tex
Leupold VX-II 3x9x40 with LRD and BC flip-ups in Leupold dual dovetails
BC Mountain Sling

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jds44; 08/24/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A hunting vest? What's that?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Here's my pretty pix..

521 yds off the pack.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Rancho, 7mm-08 or .308???

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.