Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Higbean
If you index it properly a guy could take advantage of all the "up" in his scope. That is if he had enough "down". smile

Isn't that how it really should be done. How many smiths do it that way? I think very few. Have talked to some smiths that have no idea. Watching Gordie Gritters benchrest chambering video gives a good case for doing it that way

BP-B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I wonder how it will unwind as it warms up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Half the people on this site will never know apparently.... crazy

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I wonder if I qualify as a guy who shoots? In the last year I've burned two 8 pound jugs of IMR4895 in just my 308's. Never mind the Varget, IMR4320, IMR4166, IMR4064, IMR3031, CFE223, W748, H4895, IMR8208XBR, RL15, ...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think there might be a chance. How many accurate barrels have jumped up and bit you?

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
One or two. grin

The factory barrel on my Rem 700 5R Milspec is pretty darn good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of my friends had a Mil Spec 223 and that was one of the most accurate factory rifles I've ever seen.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If you index it properly a guy could take advantage of all the "up" in his scope. That is if he had enough "down". smile
Sure.. But keep in mind this isn't known until the other end is done.. I.e., the barrel would have to be marked, then turned around, set up again in the lathe and about half the job might have to be done over..

The .015 is edge/edge, meaning (obviously) that the bore is actually only .0075 off dead center.. That should equate to only about a couple clicks on the scope knobs. The owner made a note - said he'd keep this in the file and if the barrel won't shoot he'd replace it and pay for the install..

I'll know shortly.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a buddy chuck up a factory Rem barrel to cut threads for a muzzle brake for a guy. Said it looked like a jump rope and the muzzle did the clown car thing you're talking about. Told the guy about it and he said it was the best shooting factory rifle he'd ever owned!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've got a factory Ruger, a factory dpms, and a factory tikka that havent been bested by my customs. I've had a krieger and a lilja equiped gun that were shooters, but not better. I've only owned three factory guns that were real dogs, but I've owned three with custom tubes that were dogs too and three times the cost.

My next gun will be another tikka or a ruger precision.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you will be going through a barrel change delay and expense either way, I would go with a custom barrel. I have had good luck with Benchmark and Bartlein.

Some factory barrels may shoot nearly as well as custom, but they usually foul much worse.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just had a Benchmark barrel put on my 223 (Ruger Hawkeye). Cost me a ton to have the barrel done and have the action squared up and the stock bedded. Got it back finally and started working up loads. It shot real well, but seemed to go vertical when the barrel got hot. Well, that's not good, but probably not a deal killer. I found the good loads for 40, 55, and 65 gr bullets and loaded up a bunch of ammo. Over a week or two I shot the rifle with a cold fouled barrel to check the zero and the accuracy. I got great accuracy at times (well less than 1/4 inch) but at other times the accuracy was oddly off. I just could not figure out what was wrong. Turned out it was the scope, a Leupold VX2 6-18. Apparently the scope would start to wander on POI the more I shot it, and finally just got random all the time. I had another scope and the rifle is shooting great little groups and does NOT wander when the barrel is hot.

So my suggestion is to go with a custom barrel, but get the action tuned up while it's at the shop. And when accuracy gets odd when it shouldn't, swap out the scope. If I hadn't had a similar soope problem some years ago, I doubt I'd have diagnosed this problem properly. Probably I'd have given the rifle to a nephew and got a new Tikks 223.

And for the record, the original Ruger barrel shot quite well, though not good enough to satisfy me. Turns out that the action/boltface needed to be trued up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought this 1972 Savage 110 223 in 2013 for $240
I put a Lothar Walther barrel on it, different recoil lug, different stock, different paint, different cheek rest, different bipod, different bolt handle, got rid of barrel nut system, no turn neck 223 reamer, etc.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
First 5 shot group from rifle at 100 yards.

It shoots a lot better now.
Not because the barrel is stress relieved and lapped in Germany.

It is because the barrel is so heavy and clean, and the scope is more powerful.

The stress relieved and lapped expensive barrel means it will stay clean longer, and warp less when hot.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
Sure.. But keep in mind this isn't known until the other end is done.. I.e., the barrel would have to be marked, then turned around, set up again in the lathe and about half the job might have to be done over..

The .015 is edge/edge, meaning (obviously) that the bore is actually only .0075 off dead center.. That should equate to only about a couple clicks on the scope knobs. The owner made a note - said he'd keep this in the file and if the barrel won't shoot he'd replace it and pay for the install..

I'll know shortly.

I wanted to bump this and find out how this gun shot. Any word yet Redneck?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
520 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,973
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.