Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
sorry if i was off in my reply there. even though i have had great success with the .243. on deer,antelope and coyotes; elk and bear gave me a good excuse to get some 30-06s and 7mms.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
David,

You should simply try some bullets that you'd like to shoot and see for yourself. I have a 10 twist and shoot the 105 A-Max at 3060. The calculators say it has "marginal stability" at the altitudes it will be shot and shows also a slight decrease in BC through the 10 twist.

First hand experience shooting it tells me that it works fine. Well, actually better than "fine"...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

710 yards

[Linked Image]

760 yards

[Linked Image]

You'll never know unless you give it a go...

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Have you thought about this bullet:

http://www.hornady.com/store/6mm-.243-105-GR-BTHP-Match/

It is supposed to stabilize in a 10 twist and reports I have seen say it does well on game despite the manufacturer's admonition about shooting game with "match" bullets.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Have some I'll try.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
WTF is an elk?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
WTF is an elk?

Travis

Rabbit with antlers.

Me

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Unicorn with branched headgear.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
Anti Palin, pro Obama, John Cleese in drag

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
95g Partition is right at home with a 10" twist, 43g of IMR 4350 with a win primer

85g triple shock, max load of R#19 with a Win primer, also.

Your house would not hold the deer and antelope we killed with the 95g partition, no kidding. Big Kansas and Nebraska deer that went over 200 lbs and yardage out to 360, NONE ever went over 10 yards. With the 95g partition, quartering shots coming and going is no problem as the bullet plows through shoulder blades and ribs on the quartering shots, always exiting. Wound channels are massive with good blood trails.

Blood trails with the 85g Tripple shock with the max load of R#19 were never seen as all deer were laying in their tracks.

I can't say anything bad about the other bullets mentioned, you just have to use the 95g Partition to see what I am talking about. The 95 at 3100+ causes massive tissue distruction, lungs and heart are just mush, nothing left of them, plus the complete penetration and blood loss.

I think that the new R#26 would shoot the 95's at 3300 with accuracy.

Friends used the 243 with the 95's on 450 lb cow elk in Az with no problems while I held the mules.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Dave, If Elk is on the menu I'd go bigger.

I've pulled fulled heald over.243 Partitions out of elk I've killed with a bigger gun.

If however, I was looking to optimize a load for the .243 for game up to Mule Deer, I'd start with the 95gr NBT...

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Many people apparently still don't understand that even if a bullet will group in a certain twist, if it isn't "overstabilized" by a minimum of a 1.5 factor (1.0 is enough to remain point-on) then BC is reduced by up to 15%. Thus you may have a bullet with a listed BC of .450 but the functional BC can be as low as .380-something.

BC isn't a hard and fast figure, and often another bullet designed to fully stabilize in a certain amount of twist but a lower listed BC may work just as well, because it retains all of of its BC from that twist.

One of the other reasons I suggested the possibility of the 95 Ballistic Tip is I know it's a sure-enough elk bullet, because the guy who designed it for Nosler killed several with it, including mature bulls.

But whatever.

So what's the explanation for reduced BC? I understand that bullet wobble is maximum as the bullet leaves the muzzle and some barrels induce more wobble than others, but generally wobble dampens out as the bullet travels downrange. I've heard this dampening out effect referred to as the bullet going to sleep and that this happens within the first 100 to 150 yards. Is that what you are talking about or something else that's independent of range?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The reduced BC has to do with the bullet's epicyclic motion. There are two arms to this motion- the nutation arm and the precession arm. The nutation arm is mostly damped out by 100 yards, but the precession arm typically remains constant, or it may decrease or increase as the bullet flies down range, depending on bullet mass and aerodynamic properties, and twist rate. It is this precession arm in which we see less stabilized projectiles exhibit greater yaw and pitch, regardless of distance. When gyroscopic stability is insufficient to overcome dynamic stability, the bullet settles into a greater limit cycle yaw angle, and BC suffers.

Typically for every 0.1 factor decrease between 1.0 and 1.5 using the Miller stability formula, you can expect about a 3% decrease in BC value.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...shoot the Fuggin' thing and see how it works.

All the Gibbery Jab means Crap if the bullet shoots at range.

laugh

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Barrels that are supposedly "10" twist, aren't always exactly 10 twist. You should try the bullet and see.

Nothing to lose

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many thanks for the explanation. It seems this effect would be hard to detect in the field particularly given few would inadvertently find themselves in a worst case 1.0 stability situation.

For anyone wanting to accurately measure BC, proper stability is yet another factor that needs to be taken into account.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On another forum I read a thread about stabilizing a Berger bullet in a 10" twist 243.

There were lots of posts and they seemed to alternate between:
1) Works great for me
2) I tried and it was terrible

Myself, I put 75 gr Vmax in a 14" twist 6mmBR and shot at 0.2 moa 3 shot group and a 3 shot group of keyholes. I will mark that one down as marginal.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
259 members (1Longbow, 222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,800
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.