Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody interested in doing a second AR challenge?

This time we can test a different set of skills, but it'll still be a challenge of both the shooter and equipment.

All strings will be shot standing, unsupported. If you want to sling up you can, but you've gotta do it on the clock. The idea is to test your ability to quickly react to a threat, not shoot tiny groups from a super stable position. The target sizes are generous and realistic for a defensive use of your AR.

The starting position for all strings will be with a loaded AR at the low ready position (rifle on safe, finger off the trigger, the buttstock can be tucked into your shoulder but the muzzle has to be lowered to the height of your belt line).

You'll need a shot timer. If you don't have one you can download one for free on a smartphone OR just get a buddy to say "go" and time you with a stopwatch OR count Mississippis in your head while you shoot for all I care, but you really ought to let everyone know if that's how you did it.

I'm not going to be as much of a stickler for the rules as we were for the last competition, mostly because I'm not much of a rules stickler kind of guy. And because these drills are more about getting people out of their comfort zone and trying something that they probably don't do much of.

Take pictures of the targets for each string and tell us about / post a pic of the gun you used.

Scoring

I'll separate scores into Magnified Optics, Non-Magnified Optics (red dots) and Irons.

I'll keep separate lists of winners for each string. So if you can't complete the 50 yards course of fire, submit your times for everything else and then just post your 50 yards times when you can get it done.

After a few weeks (or whenever it looks like everyone that wants to has given it a try) I'll compile the final scores as follows:
The fastest time for each course of fire gets 100 points.
Everyone else is a percentage of that 100 points.
For example:
-If TWR shoots the 50 yard string in 10 seconds and has the fastest time, he gets 100 points.
--If I shoot that 50 yard string in 12 seconds, I get 83 points (10 divided by 12 is .83).
Everyone is graded on a curve, based on the fastest shooter here.

***Scoring like this involves more math, but it evens the playing field for someone who has one really bad string.***

The person with the most points from all three strings "wins".

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You can complete the entire challenge with one thirty round magazine.
If you don't want to print 8" circle targets, use your kids protractor to draw an 8" circle on a paper plate. Or just fold a sheet of paper up to an 8" square.

The courses of fire will be as follows:

100 yards at a torso-ish size target (12x24 or smaller)
On the buzzer, hit the target ONCE and record your time.
Repeat that FIVE times and add all five times together.
***You can shoot as many times as you need to. But the time doesn't stop until you've hit the target.***

50 yards at an 8" circle or square
On the buzzer, fire TWO shots at the target and record your time.
***Only hits count. You've gotta shoot it clean. If you find shots outside of the 8" target, you've gotta repeat the 50 yard portion until you shoot it clean.***

25 yards at an 8" circle or square.
On the buzzer, fire ONE shot at the target and record your time.
***Again, you've gotta shoot it clean***

7 yards at a 3" circle
On the buzzer, fire FIVE shots at the circle and record your time.

On the buzzer, fire ONE shot at the circle and record your time. Repeat this five times.

Add ALL of your times from 7 yards together.
***Again, you've gotta shoot it clean***

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sounds good, I'm already in the lead! wink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You bastids are making me want an AR even more and more!!!!! cry

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a good challenge. I'll have to find a range that would actually let me shoot it, however.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Shoot it with a lever gun or a .22 or even a pistol. Where there's a will there's a way.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
12 inch x 24 inches at 100 yards can you use a "barricade" to shoot off the sides of or does it have to be free hand.

If you miss you shoot it over again and add that time to your total?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh yeah, sounds like fun.

Do we get extra points if our groups are "MOA all day long?"

Last edited by wareagle700; 08/24/15.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp
12 inch x 24 inches at 100 yards can you use a "barricade" to shoot off the sides of or does it have to be free hand.

If you miss you shoot it over again and add that time to your total?

My original intent was to shoot it without any sort of barricade.

But that's probably a stretch for people who don't practice those shots a lot. And I don't want to write the rules to cater to what I practice. I'll edit it in a little while.

The guys who can shoot it standing will have a time advantage, but may not get five hits in a row as consistently and might have to keep trying. It'll work itself out.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Freehand at 100, if it doesn't challenge you then what good is it?

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sounds like fun.

Likely at the rate our trip to AK is creeping up on us, I won't be able to play until after I get back and arrow the 10 point here at home, then I'll see what I can come up with.

Even if I'm late to the party.

Good idea!

And I agree, freehand at 100, we can all embarrass ourselves.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
OK, TWR and Jeff agree with no support at 100. I'll leave it. 12x24 is a BIG target.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
OK, TWR and Jeff agree with no support at 100. I'll leave it. 12x24 is a BIG target.

I like the no support rule at 100. As you say, 12x24 is pretty big. I'll be embarrassed if I miss it.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am more of a hide behind something a bullet cannot penetrate kind of guy before shootin but I will shoot it freehand. If you miss you have to shoot it again and count the time correct? Is a hit 1 inch from the edge a hit?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. A hit anywhere on the target counts.

Timer goes beep / Partner says go
Shoot until you get a hit. Time stops when you get a hit.
-(if you're shooting on paper you might have to check the target after each shot to ensure you hit unless you can call your shots)

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Same / Same with the 8" and 3" targets. A 2" group on an 8" target doesn't help your score.

This drill is about getting a good enough shot right now rather than a perfect shot too late.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sounds good. I agree that offhand is the way to roll.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. A hit anywhere on the target counts.

Timer goes beep / Partner says go
Shoot until you get a hit. Time stops when you get a hit.
-(if you're shooting on paper you might have to check the target after each shot to ensure you hit unless you can call your shots)

I have a 12x24" chunk of steel plate. Shooting steel would make detecting hits at 100 easier. I assume you'd have no problem with the steel versus paper?

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Steel is what I'm using. Gonna paint it first song can still take a pic of the hits.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Its big, but under time, you have to learn HOW to shoot things like this.

Its not unlike bullseye offhand though, as long as its going to fall a 10, you generally don't care, and try to break the shot clean right then. As SOON as you know its coming.

If I could have ever figured out leading into a target I would have been unstoppable IMHO in offhand... I never could get it down reliably enough.

Should be fun!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
PS, care to link a free app for the iphone? Or buy an app?

PS thanks on the trigger one too, I was fishing on my post, didn't get a bite but you were a side product. LOL.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know how to link to the App Store but if you search "shot timer" several free options will show up.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Shot my first try today, cold and on demand. My patrol rifle with a VX6 1-6.

It'll be about two weeks before I can shoot the 100 yard string.

I pulled one shot on the five shot string at 7 yards and had to reshoot it, but included the pic for honesty's sake.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Final Times:
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't know how to link to the App Store but if you search "shot timer" several free options will show up.

Thanks!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Any extra points for double taps?
I will try shooting Challenge r1 on the same 100 yd target.

Last edited by jimone; 08/25/15.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
We have an IPSC sort of match scheduled for this Saturday only shot with smaller concealed carry guns ( G19 is too big). So the range will be out for me. Maybe I can rig up something on our steel range. Don't know when but I'm excited to shoot this one.

Spent the last 6 days on vacation so I'm playing catch up right now.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Couple of tips from today and in general from shooting these kind of things....

-If you use magnification, anything over 3x is really going to slow you down at any of these ranges. It's counter-intuitive because you'd think you can hit better when you can see better. And you can probably shoot a tighter group, but you'll be slower. Every time a shooter is going too slow on 100 yard steel I suggest that they turn their magnification down and they get faster.

It's because your brain starts waiting for the perfect shot on the target that you see a lot of, rather than taking a good enough shot on the target that you can see some of.

-Trigger control is crucial at 50 yards. You've gotta really focus on breaking the shot cleanly or you'll miss. At the other ranges you can get away with some slapping, but not at 50.

Dry firing will help this tremendously. A great drill that I do is 5 rounds of dry fire for every live round, then five sets of that at a time.

-Set your timer up with plenty of delay. I couldn't adjust the start delay on the timer I used today and 3 seconds just wasn't enough time for me. I got quick-beeped a few times and it slowed me down.

After I was done I shot some more at 7 yards and got my one-shot times very consistently to 1.2s and my fastest run was 1.05. Under 1 second is very doable with practice.

I'm gonna guess that 15 seconds at 50 yards, 6.5 seconds at 25 yards, and 3.5 / 5.5 seconds at 7 yards will be pretty tough to beat.

Just a rough guess, but anything at 8ish seconds will be hard to beat at 100 yards.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
can I fire 5 shots at the 100 yard target and count the total time or do I have to hit the timer and fire one shot and then stop the timer? I don't have anyone that will help me time it, so its just me. Not trying to be difficult just trying to figure a way to do it. Like you said one 30 round magazine will do it, we could in fact add a penalty for each miss I guess.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
can I fire 5 shots at the 100 yard target and count the total time or do I have to hit the timer and fire one shot and then stop the timer? I don't have anyone that will help me time it, so its just me. Not trying to be difficult just trying to figure a way to do it. Like you said one 30 round magazine will do it, we could in fact add a penalty for each miss I guess.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/free-shot-timer-iphone-apps/

Maybe one of these will work. I have yet to try it yet but I was planning on using an app like the Surefire.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Top Gun rules of engagement exist for your safety and for that of your team. They're not flexible, nor am I. Obey them or you're history. Is that clear?

Viper

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
10-4 viper whistle

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I bought a timer this past spring when I was shooting a lot of pistol. The timer added way more pressure than I expected and has helped me reaffirm, you can't miss fast enough to win.

Timers are a worthwhile investment.

Maybe on the next challenge we can add some multiple targets and double taps but for now working on presentation will be good.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
100yd.

Total: 10.01

50yd

Total: 17.83

25yd

Total: 6.47

7yd

5= 3.19

Total: 9.08

Kit and caboodle:

[Linked Image]

100yd: Cardboard is cut to 12X 24". I had to spray it slightly to give it some contrast against that plywood. Otherwise I doubt I'd have ever hit the thing.

[Linked Image]

The tape is due to my first two shots only resulting in one hole. So I had to walk down and tape it and start it over. Also this plate is right around 8 1/4 or 8 1/2 but I don't give a fugk!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

7 (first stage)

[Linked Image]

7 (2nd stage included)
[Linked Image]

The 100yd is easier than I'd thunked. Steel would be a huge advantage because you'd know if you hit it. When I shot, I just had to assume I was hitting it without shooting more than once and I was lucky in that regard.

The 50 sucks. It's not unlike the 15yd line when shooting pistol. Too far to really haul ass, but close enough that your brain tells you it's easy. In other words, concentrate at the 50.

The 25 and 7 were easy peasy. I'd never shot a 3" circle at 7yds with an AR before so be sure you check your POI before doing so. I had to aim high.

I was alone and I found it easiest to hang the timer on my strong side. I'd position everything pretty snug into my shoulder, drop my strong side hand and hit the button. I can't say I ever got fugked by the delay. I was ready to go by the time it beeped.

The scope is a 3-10X and I left it on 3 just like Mav suggested. I tried with sling and without and found my times without the sling were faster. I think I was fighting the sling unnecessarily at these distances.

I would like to shoot it again with the Storm and a red dot. Then you shall see the definition of awesome.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by TWR
I bought a timer this past spring when I was shooting a lot of pistol. The timer added way more pressure than I expected and has helped me reaffirm, you can't miss fast enough to win.

Timers are a worthwhile investment.

Maybe on the next challenge we can add some multiple targets and double taps but for now working on presentation will be good.

Shooting without a timer is a waste of time.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Shot it today with my comp rifle and an eotech, getting ready for an upcoming match.

7 Yards-5 Shot String
[Linked Image]

7 Yards-5 Single Shots
1.06---1.23---1.08---1.19---1.19
[Linked Image]

25 Yards
1.17---1.56---1.31---1.41---1.25

50 Yards
3.11---3.80---3.17---3.75---2.64

I shot them on the same target.
[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Rifle- Colt M4A1 Block II

Optic- Vortex Razor GII 1-6x

Ammo- M855A1

Timer- Pro Timer

Target- IPSC B/C zone and NRA B8 25m pistol bull. 8 ring is just under 8 inches.

100 yards-

1) 1.14
2) 1.35
3) 1.19
4) 1.45
5) 1.39

Total= 6.52 seconds clean.

50 yards-

1) 2.71
2) 2.55
3) 2.23
4) 2.18
5) 2.41

Total= 12.08 seconds clean.

25 yards-

1) 1.28
2) 1.10
3) 1.11
4) 1.06
5) 1.06

Total= 5.61 seconds clean.

7 yards-

1) 1.74 (5 shots)

1) .98
2) 1.05
3) .85
4) .88
5) .89

Total= 6.39 seconds clean.

100 yard and 25 yard targets/hits.

[Linked Image]

All targets.

[Linked Image]

Over all I like it. Well everything except the 100 yard stage. That is an astronomically big target. I shot all stages except 7 yards on 6x. The reticle and dot is big enough that it covers up the black on the pistol bull at 1x, and since it is a single known target having magnification was not a hindrance. Having said that I have little doubt that using a dot would be faster.

I will reshoot it with the 10.5in and Eotech to see.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Pro timer? I have to buy a timer.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You guys should have a "1 MOA ALL DAY LONG" challenge like AR 15.com does....:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

They have a call out portion to shut up the loud mouths that don't shoot anything off but their mouths too... wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Timer??? I don't even have a smart phone. Can't afford one. Maybe I should go on welfare so the govt. can give me one... sick

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
nice groups for an AR.

What does all day mean? Guess i could go look, but I gave up on AR15.com full of idiots almost 20 years ago I bet.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Pro Timer= Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II Timer

I prefer the CED 7000

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
but I gave up on AR15.com full of idiots almost 20 years ago I bet.

I have yet to find an online discusion board that doesn't have its share.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
very true, but I just couldn't deal wiht the abundance of them over there years ago...

When your hobby is shoot the AR about every other night and lots of rounds, upwards give or take 20K rounds a year, and you are told you don't know squat....

Its like listening to short stick.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The call out thing is great!!! Now to buy a $120.00 timer... did I mention that I hate this place.

What is your rifle and load for the 5 shot groups BSA??

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I actually like arfcom better than m4varbine here lately. M4 has too many "warriors" who've wrote all the rules and if you don't go to an approved training class twice a month, you can't possibly know anything. Arfcom has a good equipment exchange, the rest doesn't interest me.

Now about those 5 shot groups, notice how they are not in the same point of impact, if you overlap 4 of them for a 20 shot group, they open up a bit. wink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good point on the poi shifts TWR. If you notice, the target says "WINDY"... Most times it was blowing hard to the right so if my first shot was to the right, I'd shoot for a sub moa group and poi would change. The object of the shoot was to shoot moa or better. 5 shots and 5 groups. I also wanted to clarify that this is not a call out of any kind. You guys here on the AR tactical rifles forums are great. I'm really enjoying watching the black rifle challenge and you get guys like deflave competing. Carl Ross had a shoot (postal/positional) going started in the rifle forum and there weren't too many takers. This is where the loud mouths and blowhards (I was talking about) come into play. A couple of them commented saying they could easily shoot it even with iron sights. You guys know the usual culprits. Keep up the good work over here and I thank you guys for letting me join in occasionally. TWR, if you want a 20 shot group, this is the best I can do for you. These 2 10 shot groups were shot 1 right after the other with the same rifle that shot the 10 5 shot groups. You can lay these 2 10 shot groups on top of each other if you want:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

POI and being zeroed definitely has its place... laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Instead of gabbin' about other websites, why don't you losers shoot the fugkin' challenge?

I was hesitant to shoot this course of fire with my Storm, as I don't want Mav to cyber-bully me. But I figured shooting is always better than not shooting so I went ahead. This was shot with a red dot.

100yds.

50yds

25yds

7yrds

5 = 3.65

[Linked Image]

100yd

[Linked Image]

50yd
[Linked Image]

25yd. Disregard that bottom hole. (that's what she said)
[Linked Image]

7yd

5shots.
[Linked Image]

All

[Linked Image]

Waaaay more comfortable with an AR.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I like the Competition Electronics. 1 or 2.

Travis

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
smart phone free ap...

Travis, you make me feel better. I didn't get it how someone can throw up and hit a target at 100 in 1 second....

Probably take me 5.... LOL.

Not sure I can get around to playing before the moose hunt, runnign out of time with lots to do around here before then.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
BSA just giving you a hard time, notice the smiley face.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rost495
smart phone free ap...

Travis, you make me feel better. I didn't get it how someone can throw up and hit a target at 100 in 1 second....

Probably take me 5.... LOL.

Not sure I can get around to playing before the moose hunt, runnign out of time with lots to do around here before then.

I'm not real proficient with that Storm.

Good luck with the moose.

Travis

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Always running short on time, but I did have to shoot the 338-06 to seal in the UBC.

Fired 10 rounds from 100, not sure where you are supposed to start with this game, but I had butt in contact with shoulder, Low ready I think?

Did not download timer yet, have to ask the boss what our password is.

That being said, it seemed like with 6x scope, I had 9 of 10 on 2 vertical sheets of typing paper. Thats with 250s. One I flat yanked low, but a quick glance, that one might have stayed on 12x24.

This could be really fun to play with. Will take a LOT of getting used to.

Best I coudl tell I was taking around 2-3 seconds to get up on and bang.

Moose right now are using life vests in the area we play in. Might get lucky and run the bears into tighter quarters and end up wiht a bear instead.

Regardless AK in Sept is hard to beat.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I shot my 16" Noveske with the 1-6 Firedot VX6 Leupold.
55 gr NBT's

I used a 10x20 "special tactical" target at 100 yards. First 2 runs were not clean but I finally made it.
Total of 8.15
[Linked Image]
I used a paper plate for the 50, it's all I had.
Total 9.59
[Linked Image]
Used a paper plate at 25 too
Total 6.48
[Linked Image]
First I ran the 7 with a pie plate but then realized it was too big. Found a big dot and used it. Missed the very first shot so I just added that time in as well. the next 5 were clean.
1.10 the low miss
Total 6.93
[Linked Image]

Last edited by TWR; 08/30/15.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
And just so Travis doesn't think I was slacking, I spent last weekend in Mexico and had to play catch up at work this week but I got it done!
[Linked Image]

Last edited by TWR; 08/30/15. Reason: Re-named Dave
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm not a beach person at all, but you look REALLY relaxed. Glad you enjoyed it!!

Jeff

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
TWR,

You seem like my kinda drinking buddy. Except for that Eagles shirt. Fugk the fugkin' Eagles.

Nice shootin'.

GFY.

Travis

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sorry didn't realize you were Canadian...

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ouch.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
TWR, did you shoot 10 shots at 50 or just 5?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
TWR, did you shoot 10 shots at 50 or just 5?

He's obviously canadian....

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by TWR
Sorry didn't realize you were Canadian...

Try it out loud:

Dave

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by deflave
TWR,

You seem like my kinda drinking buddy. Except for that Eagles shirt. Fugk the fugkin' Eagles.

Nice shootin'.

GFY.

Travis

Negative points for Travis on this one.....

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Just 5 did I miss something?

I'm gonna have to do it again ain't I?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
deflave, Dave, Travis, all the same in Canada... Oops!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LOL

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Downloaded AIPSC timer last night

First time I thought to see if it was done was about 630 this morning waiting on wreckers at a big 18 wheeler wreck... couldn't hear any of the commands, but I was standing next to Truck 1 with the pump engaged in case we had any more fire.

Will have to play with it one evening I guess.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
Just 5 did I miss something?

I'm gonna have to do it again ain't I?

You can just shoot that part of it.

Each distance is it's own match. Then there'll be an overall winner.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This is why I love these matches. Form forced me to really push myself and evaluate what I was doing wrong.

Shot it again today with an Eotech. I ran out of dots, some had to circle misses from old strings and old shots.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm still trying to figure out how to make a light AR group under 1 MOA blush

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
quit with that already... you are going to force me to order a bartlein blank and go to my buddies and contour the barrel and set it up light and properly and see...

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Come on guys....Don't be scared to get away from the bench!

You can shoot any one distance if you're range is short or won't let you rapid fire or whatever.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Tell me what you can't kill with a 1.5 MOA gun?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
as much as I don't like 1.5 moa guns, for 300 yards and in, they pretty much work.

I don't care for almost 5 inch group at 300 head shooting, but not many folks would head shoot at 300 anyway so I digress.

My moose rifle is about 1.5 moa..... I don't like it one bit, but its a sentimental gun... and I can't bring myself to get rid of the factory tube and the tupperware stock... I would love to MC it and Bartlein it, but lets be honest, 338-06 runs out of steam, likely around 300 yards..... 5 inches at 300 is minute of heart on a moose easily actually sub minute really....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the timer on my iphone is 4 second delay, and I cannot hear that frequency any longer. I hit start counted 1 1000, 2 1000, 3 1000, 4 1000 and shot the target. I ran out of time so did not shoot the 25 yard deal. I did find that my aimpoint was not zeroed and was shooting to the left. Blue can I count the one hit on the edge of the 50 yard plate? If so 11.67 for 100, 18.03 for 50, 7.98 for 7 yards. Again this is a combination of counting and a timer, its as accurate as I could get without buying a timer, and I spent that money on a new BHW barrel to replace the Noomoreveske.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here's my final pics (final-ish, Form has thrown down the gauntlet).

Times for 100 yards, dot times on top and VX6 times on bottom. I was able to get below a second with the dot just a few times, but not when I was recording the times for record.
[Linked Image]

Target, with my hits and some from a shooting partner.
[Linked Image]

And VX6 at 7 yards

1 shot drill
[Linked Image]

5 shot drill
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If anyone else will shoot this I'll rework the scores. Just keep posting them.

Here's the shakedown on fastest times and scores for now. Fastest times are in red and represent 100% so far.

I only have times for part of the challenge from some people, which is why they don't have total points calculated yet. If you want to shoot just part of the challenge I'll adjust the scores.

Bluedreaux Optics--307 Points
100 Yards-9.43 / 69 Points
50 Yards-18.66 / 65 Points
25 Yards-7.69 / 73 Points
7 Yards-8.09 / 100 Points

Bluedreaux Dot--400 Points
100 Yards-7.02 / 100 Points
50 Yards-16.74 / 100 Points
25 Yards-5.53 / 100 Points
7 Yards-7.23 / 100 Points

Flave Optics--286 Points
100 Yards-10.01 / 65 Points
50 Yards-17.83 / 68 Points
25 Yards-6.47 / 87 Points
7 Yards-12.27 / 66 Points

Flave Dot--231 Points
100 Yards-17.48 / 40 Points
50 Yards-24.47 / 68 Points
25 Yards-8.28 / 67 Points
7 Yards-12.95 / 56 Points

TWR Optics
100 Yards-8.15 / 80 Points
25 Yards-6.48 / 87 Points

JimmyP Dot
100 Yards-11.67 / 60 Points
50 Yards-18.03 / 93 Points

Foridilosioususous Optics--399.5 Points (See Note Below)
100 Yards-6.52 / 100 Points
50 Yards-12.08 / 100 Points
25 Yards-5.61 / 100 Points

7 Yards-8.13 / 99.5 Points
**I rounded up and down to the nearest 100th on the scores, but Form has 99.5% on the 7 yard string. So he's clearly the overall winner but rounding up to 100 points would only confuse things so I left it at 99.5.**

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
yes I need to finish it...unfortunately it is bow season here in GA now so more folks on the lease and you don't want to be shooting all the time. If the weather would cool down a bit more I will go after them myself.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bump

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ya I need to do this again with a couple of guns.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like a cake walk. I was high score on the Carl Ross positional match. This one will be easy. Even with irons.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You know you'll need a timer and not a sun dial... grin

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I shot this today with my Colt 6720 EOThingie and M193. Amazing how bad I am offhand.
100 yards on a 1/2 size silhouette (9x12 not including the head)
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
10.75 the last shot I went past my target and couldn’t go back quick enough.
50 yards
15.54 I forgot to add the fifth string at 3.20
25 yards
8.11 but my shot is out even though it’s 8” it’s still a miss but there it is.
7 yards
I couldn’t remember the offset but here it is too.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Forgot the rifle.
All shots offhand from low ready

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Haven’t shot this since 2015. Cool to see it back.

Today cold-

100- 7.06sec

50- 11.51sec

25- 5.51sec

7- 7.87sec

IIDMC...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dammit, I'm going to have to get off the bench and shoot this one. No time to try it yesterday, even though I was at the range half the day and then hit up a new range in the evening... Hopefully my shot timer works. I was only picking up 9 shots when I fired off 10 shots at 100 yards the other day. Practicing for that event we had yesterday. I managed 10 shots in 9 seconds and a score of 100-9x... The Northtech kicks some azz... It fared pretty well in the Carl Ross positional match that Formid remembers shooting...:

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Alright, I pulled my azz off the bench and shot this with my new Colt. I did this late lastnight and fired my last shot at 9:20 pm, so light was just fading and irons were harder to see. I didn't shoot my 50 yard target clean, dropped 2 shots so It will give me a good reason to shoot this again. I love my new rifle but optics and shooting left handed is going to be a lot quicker. Keep in mind, I shoot irons weak side because of my eyesight, so I'm not as naturally quick to the target as I am shooting left handed. Here are the pics with low score, but at least I shot it. I had no intention of shooting this lastnight, as I was working on a load for my m96 swedish mauser for the military rifle shoot I'll be doing next saturday. I brought my new Colt along, so figured what the hell:

100 yard target. Didn't need the huge 12"x24". Did it easily with a 12"x15" target. That means I can run it faster:

50 yard target:

25 yard target. Group is nice, target size is big for 25 yards, so that means I can easily run it faster, even shooting weak side and irons. POI was a little lower, so I'll have to hold a little higher next time:

7 yard target. 3" circle is fairly big at 7 yards. I was worried i'd miss and look stupid, so i probably took longer than necessary:

Times written on the back side of one of the targets I was using for load development for my military rifle:
Yeah, my military rifle is shooting sub moa 3 shot groups with irons at 100 yards... Don't pay attention to that though..

Oops, I left out the best part:

Excuse the piss poor cell pics and slow times.. Will be much better next time with an optic and shooting from my strong side.. I'll probably use my Northtech Defense next time out..

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You did great! There's no way I could shoot it that quick weaksided and I don't shoot these to beat anyone but myself. It's an easy way to see if I'm getting better or not. If I compared my scores to everyone else I'd be disappointed. There's always someone better.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy. I don't mind it much off the bench or during slow fire, but getting on target real quick doesn't feel natural like it does shooting left handed. In some ways, its like I'm learning all over again. This is great practice for me to get quicker, since I can't hunt jackrabbits here in oregon, like I did when I was a kid living in Nevada.. Thats the nice thing about shooting, you can always change things up a bit to make it more interesting...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Blue, no one seems to want to shoot these matches here. Seems like there's always guys griping because we shoot off the bench a lot. Then you have an event like this where you shoot offhand, and those guys griping don't shoot it. I'll post some results from two rifles I shot today. When I get home. This time I have no excuses because I shot left-handed

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Shot this with 2 rifles tonight. Used scopes too. Makes it much easier, for me anyways...

Rifles in the pic are my Northtech defense and Spikes tactical 6WOA. Both wearing Burris AR556 and AR762 4.5-14x42 rifle scopes. :

Scores written down as I shot and took the reading from the timer. If you notice, on the 50 yard run, I recorded the times for the second shot as well.. The timer has that info, so I wrote it down:

Looks like scores are as follows:

100 yard target with clean score. I made mine 12"x12", since 12x24 is pretty fn big...:
Northtech defense:
7.26 seconds

6WOA:
7.74 seconds

Northtech defense 50 yard score:
13.67 seconds

6WOA score at 50 yards:
14.37 seconds

Northtech defense 25 yard score:
6.54 seconds

6WOA 25 yard score:
6.85 seconds

Northtech defense 7 yard target score:
5.42 seconds

6WOA 7 yard score:
5.35 seconds. Forgot to write down the last time of 1.12 seconds.

Target pics:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/VoZKtJy.jpg[/img]

I would have thought formid would have kicked my azz more than that. Maybe our technique is a little different, especially on the close chidt. Keep in mind, I'm using 4.5-14x42 rifle scopes on both rifles in the picture. Thats proof right there, that you don't need 1x or less than 4x to shoot close targets. Ive shot elk running toward me as close as 15 yards away, with a 3-9x40 rifle scope.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The problem with magnificationnup close doesn’t usually manifest in a single target that you’re looking at before you shoot. It aimed when you’ve gotta find targets, discriminate between them, and translation between them.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The problem with magnificationnup close doesn’t usually manifest in a single target that you’re looking at before you shoot. It aimed when you’ve gotta find targets, discriminate between them, and translation between them.

Thats why you shoot with both eyes open, when you are close. A target that big at 7 yards is pretty much a point and shoot deal. I guess the proof is in the speed of the target acquisition. Its your shoot man, your targets. What was your time on the close up 3" target? Ill go back and check. I pulled my azz off the bench to do this shoot, since the know nothings want to make comments about those of us shooting off the bench for the moa and black rifle challenge. If you want to change targets or distance, do so. Like i said its your shoot. You make the rules. Ill shoot damn near any challenge here. Im not skeered..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Easy there, sharpshooter. I’m just commenting on the use of magnification for close targets.

Both eyes open with magnification can be useful, but it’ll never be as fast as 1x. And those disadvantages sometimes don’t manifest until you’re in scenarios other than 1 shot on 1 target that you’re prepped for.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
And the 7 yard targets are 10 total shots, not just the five singles.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I really need to print the rules and go shoot this thing for real. I have no cell service at the range and figured I could remember everything but nope, I didn't.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah I tried to keep it relatable and uncomplicated, but 30 rounds isn’t easy to remember either.

My idea was that at 100 yards it’s good to get a round in the torso. Distance gives you options and time and if you can get a round somewhere on the bad guy that may be enough to give you more time to utilize more options.

At 50 yards a single shot may be all you get, but it’s close enough that you may need it to be solid hit and it’s reasonable for lost people to get that 8” hit at 50.

At 25 you definitely ought to be able to make that 8” shot and it definitely may be needed. 25 yards is real life gun fighting distance and you may need multiple hits right quick to get it over with.

The 7 yard single shots are a test of CNS head shot ability and knowing - remembering your offset. The 5 round group requires some visual patience to not get too aggressive. It also mimics punching through a barrier or armor, or multiple torso hits at 25ish.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It's a good drill/challenge. We've been shooting pistols every Saturday morning and I got there early to shoot this but not early enough. Since I had the steel in my truck my buddy had to wait on me so I rushed through it.

Next time I'll make him bring his AR and join me and maybe I can get it right. Got a match this Saturday but might try it afterwards if there's time.

BSA, quit being so modest.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shot this the other day I beat everyone’s score by like 20 seconds he’ll maybe 30, unfortunately I had my window rolled down and all the targets blew out onto the Glenn hwy. went my bragging material for the next 5 yrs

Last edited by 79S; 06/26/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,502 guests, and 711 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.