Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
LOL.

Talley did have AWSOME service about it: they sent me a replacement, immediately, and told me to mail in the other, when I could.

FWIW, you can cut shims from a coke can (.010"), and I've stacked up to two, to get a rig centered.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 08/23/15.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by troutfisher13111
Originally Posted by bea175
I would just put the Nikon back on the rifle, the problem is obviously the new scope

I really want to upgrade, but I might do this if I have to

Sounds like you really upgraded there. Carry on though.. whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Your right. Came to the conclusion that this particular gun needs a scope with a lot of adjustment. Thanks everyone

Did you try to center the cross hairs?You have to do it with the scope not attached to the rifle.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by bea175
I would just put the Nikon back on the rifle, the problem is obviously the new scope

I really want to upgrade, but I might do this if I have to

Sounds like you really upgraded there. Carry on though.. whistle

You don't think a VX3 is an upgrade compared to a Nikon prostaff?

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
My first set of talleys was a disappointment. The leupold vx2 I mounted yesterday didn't have enough windage adjustment with them. Centered the crosshairs in the scope and put on a one piece rail with weaver rings and it took 3 clicks to from center to dial in the windage at 100 yards.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
So, what do you guys think it's worth if I was to sell it on here? It's a vx3 1.75-6x32, matte finish, and heavy duplex reticle. Been mounted on one gun and only had about 15 rounds through it.

Makes as much sense as replacing the gun. Just shim or get offset Burris signature rings.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Can I please suggest you check that you have the correct bases and that the rings are around the right way, as in the correct one is at the front and rear, the rear of the scope should be higher than the front.
To centre the cross hair, all you need to do is wind it one way all the way until stops, then wind it the opposite way all the way and count how many clicks it takes, halve that number and wind it back that number, do both, windage and elevation.

Cheers.
cool

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'd contact DNZ and explain the problem before I'd shim the base. For some reason when we buy a new car we are more than willing to get the dealer to make it right but with firearms and related items we seem to want to fix their problem if in fact it is their problem.

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 08/24/15.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found this on OpticsTalk- a guy had taken it off an old Bushnell box.

[Linked Image]

This help?

Last edited by kenjs1; 08/24/15.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have my grandfather's Remington 740 and we have the rear scope ring shimmed for this reason. It wears a Leupold 4x Mountaineer.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
How do you shim down using traditional shims? With the Burris Signature rings and eccentric synthetic inserts one can move the POI a long distance. But I digress...how do you shim down? Wouldn't you have to remove material from the bottom of the base to lower the ring?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
You put a shim under the back to angle the mount downward.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It can seem counter-intuitive a bit. Sort of like working with a mirror image.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by fldoghunter

Yeah, that's what I've done in the past. I was referring to the diagram above. It draws a line to the front ring and says "shim front base for additional downward movement". That seems more confusing than just counter-intuitive. How do you shim a base and lower it at the same time?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by fldoghunter

Yeah, that's what I've done in the past. I was referring to the diagram above. It draws a line to the front ring and says "shim front base for additional downward movement". That seems more confusing than just counter-intuitive. How do you shim a base and lower it at the same time?

Works the same as iron sights ie you move the rear in the direction you want the POI to go but you move the front in the opposite direction that you want the POI to go.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 6mm250

Works the same as iron sights ie you move the rear in the direction you want the POI to go but you move the front in the opposite direction that you want the POI to go.

Mike

That makes sense. Thanks.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 6mm250

Mike

I should have just applied the mechanical logic of canted rails, however, the front sight - rear sight tandem of iron sights has two planes of vision. I was under the mistaken impression that a scope combined those two planes into one plane, but then a canted rail wouldn't help anything if my mistaken impression were true.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shimming is only a bandaid to what is going on here.. Post up a picture.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

613 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,070 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,266
Posts18,448,266
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.