Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
There was a really cool picture of them dropping fire retardant in Kamiah, ID. I'll see if I can find it. Those are BIG planes, flying heavily loaded and LOW in some rough country.

Firefighters from OZ (Australia and New Zealand) landed in Boise yesterday - what an amazing community (wildland fire)!!

We all need and are praying for rain - as well as those on the front line and supporting all their efforts.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Steve:

We live between the Stouts Creek fire and the Cable Crossing fire and it has been smokey since the beginning of the month. Between the smoke and the incredibly dry conditions we are getting cabin fever. When the Stouts Creek fire blew up from 300 acres to 6000 acres in 4 hours we were incredibly lucky. If it had burned north, instead of south, we would have been burned over.

I did hear Washington governor Inslee blaming the fires on global warming. It caused me to wonder how much CO2 has been produced by the millions of acres that are burning.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by logger

I did hear Washington governor Inslee blaming the fires on global warming. It caused me to wonder how much CO2 has been produced by the millions of acres that are burning.

That's friggin hilarious - dumbass libtards. It's like they have a playbook and they look up the situation and find the corresponding response.

>>>>Forest Fire...... = oh, Global Warming!

of course, their playbook has a thousand situations with the same 4 or 5 responses.

Morons..

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Friends, as most folks know, our Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Western Montana fire crews are being tested to the very limits this year. We literally have forest fires everywhere.

One of the most serious fires is up in the beautiful Lake Chelan are of central Washington.

This amazing photo appeared on the 'net this morning and it was taken in the Chelan area.

It's almost impossible to comprehend the skill of the pilot who dumps fire retardant while clipping sagebrush with both wings of his 727.

In-bloody-credible!!!

Blessings,

Steve

[Linked Image]

Great photo Steve. I watched that plane or one very similar to it last year about 8 miles from our place. The pilots that fly those things are amazing.

A friend of mine fighting that Okanogan Complex fire texted that some folks believe these fires will be fought into November possibly until Thanksgiving. With only 10% of the perimeter contained, on a fire over 250,000 acres and no rain in sight, it is a very discouraging outlook.

Bless the brave firefighters for fighting such terrible odds.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
KOMO camera man getting doused with retardant at the Chelan fire.

Link

Aftermath.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Steve; 08/25/15.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very amazing photo. Thankfully, there are people who are willing to do such jobs. There are many ways to put one's life on the line for the good of others without facing bullets.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
It is a DC10, here's more info: 10Tanker

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by dogzapper

This last weekend was really, really smokey here in Milwaukie (OR). We had forest fire sunrises and forest fire sunsets both days ... it was like everything in our world was a weird orange color.

Several of our neighbors are elderly (older than us @72 grin) and they suffered greatly from the air quality.

I'm praying for RAIN. We absolutely need it.

Steve

It looks like our prayers are about to get answered starting Friday and lasting through the weekend. I use Weather Bomb on my phone and it is usually accurate. Shows we will be fitting some decient rain here and in Central OR and WA.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a link to the incident updates for USFS/ USDA in WA:

WA State Inciweb

Of course, all states are available to search, as are photographs...

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I was in Challis Saturday...you couldn't see the mountains on either side of the valley.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Very amazing photo. Thankfully, there are people who are willing to do such jobs. There are many ways to put one's life on the line for the good of others without facing bullets.

I'd rather face bullets.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As ignorant as it may sound, aren't fires a natural occurrence and would it not be natural to just let them burn?

It's actually like trying to fight a hurricane or an earthquake.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Took this pic not far from my house

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More or less.

Nature evolved with constant fires that kept the underbrush down so natural fires usually stayed down low and didn't get into the tree canopies. When you suppress fire for years the fuel supply builds up so when a fire does start it's much more intense and gets into the canopies and that's where the real damage occurs.

Ponderosa pine has a very thick bark that can withstand the lower intensity ground fires. One species of pine actually requires fire to seed, its cones stay closed until fire causes them to open, then the seeds are released on clear ground which has the double benefit of being fertilized by raw nutrients released from the burned underbrush.

After a fire comes through the land takes a few years to recover but it comes back even stronger than before. It provides clearings for edge animals like deer and the plants they eat grow in profusion on the now open ground.

Lots of reason now to suppress fires but most are economic.

We have a terrible cheat grass problem around here - nasty little invasive grass that is far less nutritious than native grasses and has very clingy seeds. Natural fire suppressed it but without fire it out competes the native plants here and has taken over.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fire is good. Fire in overly thick timber with a 10-25% beetle killed dry standing timber ensuring crowning fires.....not good at all. Government prohibiting logging or wood cutting of the standing timber which WILL blow down into an impenetrable mess making fuel for fire and impossible access.....even worse.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Yeh, the cheat has really taken over. Hate that crap. Took dog to vet again with cheat grass seed in ears again.

Really good fuel for fires

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
More or less.

Nature evolved with constant fires that kept the underbrush down so natural fires usually stayed down low and didn't get into the tree canopies. When you suppress fire for years the fuel supply builds up so when a fire does start it's much more intense and gets into the canopies and that's where the real damage occurs.

Ponderosa pine has a very thick bark that can withstand the lower intensity ground fires. One species of pine actually requires fire to seed, its cones stay closed until fire causes them to open, then the seeds are released on clear ground which has the double benefit of being fertilized by raw nutrients released from the burned underbrush.

After a fire comes through the land takes a few years to recover but it comes back even stronger than before. It provides clearings for edge animals like deer and the plants they eat grow in profusion on the now open ground.

We have a terrible cheat grass problem around here - nasty little invasive grass that is far less nutritious than native grasses and has very clingy seeds. Natural fire suppressed it but without fire it out competes the native plants here and has taken over.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
More or less.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The biggest hazard in that kind of flying comes from the violent up and down drafts the fire creates. You can't see them and you can't react fast enough sometimes to counter them. React too strongly and you break a wing - as may have happened to a C-130 fire bomber a year or so ago and to several other bombers over the years.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GeoW
As ignorant as it may sound, aren't fires a natural occurrence and would it not be natural to just let them burn?

It's actually like trying to fight a hurricane or an earthquake.

Only obama can prevent forest fires

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2009/04/08/obama-may-block-sun-rays-to-end-global-warming.html

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
That's about the dumbest idea I've seen from those people yet.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Unintended consequences come to mind immediately.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (10Glocks, Akhutr, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,227
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.