Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Half the state of Alaska is running around with cutco knives and you can keep the cheap ass Winchester knife, on a moose I have to sharpen that damn thing probably 20 times. I read and it seem that SV30 steel is not created equal either. I don't know but I like cutco cheap steel or not and I'm sticking with them. The coldest skinning job ever done was at -40 on a moose and those cutcos with the supposed to cheap steel didn't break..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I like the Cutco knives I have but they are overpriced and I'm always leery of businesses that use pyramid schemes.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My lovely bride got me a serrated hunting knife from cutco, we have a kitchen full thanks to her knowing i think good knives are a better investment than shoes.

The sharpness is fine but the point was a little too pointy for gutting and skinning tasks. Id prefer to leave a deer paunch whole and i punctured the gut of the one deer it was used on twice without intending to do so. I use it as my kitchen camp knife now and it does a fine job. I will say the serrated knives keep cutting for a long time.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Here is the knife I have that cuts very well. It folds, and is safe and easy to carry.

The Walmart price is about $10 however I got a box of them from another source for less.

[Linked Image]

http://www.walmart.com/ip/WINCHESTER-22-49435-Folding-Knife-3-1-2-In/40750376

If you actually use that knife you'll find its not much of a bargain.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My friend and my son have Cutco filet knives that I really like. I was turned off by the "hold the rope loosely when the customer was using his knife and tight when he was using the Cutco knife" ploy when they were demonstrated for me.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Are the ones that you all are liking so much the models with the serrated edge? I can see how that would be a durable edge regardless of the steel they are made of because the serrations sort of protect and help the cutting edge.....same principle as "ginsu" knives from back in the day.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have some of both that I like quite a bit. They use a type of serration that I have never seen before.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Cutcos that I have are very nice tools. The hunting knives that I typically see are the fully serrated models. I have not used one of those to process a deer, but I was gifted a fully serrated lock back like the non serrated one pictured above.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Lotta money for a 440A stainless blade. Much better steel available at that price point.

if there is I haven't found it yet... When I can skin a whole moose and not have to sharpen my knife I'm sold on it. So tell me about these better knives for the same price point and I will look at them until then I will keep buying cutco. I used one of those Havalon knives for about 5 minutes on a moose I broke a blade and I was done with that thing. Told my buddy give me back my cutco..

I have. D2, S30V, 154CM, multiple others, even 440C.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
IC B3

D
D
I have two full sets of Cutco knives one I bought used 2 years ago, it has mostly serrated edges. They hold a edge very well. The other one I got from my late father in law he was a amazing machinist and knew tools and steel who told me when he gave them to me. " they won't need sharpening very often and you'll still have them around for many more generations" he was a frugal man but he paid a Hanson price 70 years ago and thought they were worth the money. That set is not serrated and I use them for butchering deer. Our church has a Wild Game Dinner so we cut up about 20 a year, great knives. I have a custom made knife I use for hunting that I bought from a master knife maker who worked at the Howard city Olson factory here in Michigan it's made from steel from that plant. But the Cutco is keep a edge every bit as good as the Olsons I own if that says anything about the steel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by decoydog
I have two full sets of Cutco knives one I bought used 2 years ago, it has mostly serrated edges. They hold a edge very well. The other one I got from my late father in law he was a amazing machinist and knew tools and steel who told me when he gave them to me. " they won't need sharpening very often and you'll still have them around for many more generations" he was a frugal man but he paid a Hanson price 70 years ago and thought they were worth the money. That set is not serrated and I use them for butchering deer. Our church has a Wild Game Dinner so we cut up about 20 a year, great knives. I have a custom made knife I use for hunting that I bought from a master knife maker who worked at the Howard city Olson factory here in Michigan it's made from steel from that plant. But the Cutco is keep a edge every bit as good as the Olsons I own if that says anything about the steel.

What was the makers' name that made the custom for you?

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a cutco hunter myself for years, it was a gift. Didn't cut well with that serrated edge, had the factory grind it off. Still won't make it through a whole deer skinning job w/o being sharpened. The steel simply is not that great compared to many other cutlery steels. Arguing to the contrary shows lack of experience with almost any other steel with a decent blade geometry or heat treat.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a cutco seraded knife. Worked great for about five hogs. I didnt like the idea of having send it off to be sharpened so after I did the first time I decided on a different knife. I use it now for my steak knife at camp. I have several other cutco knives. A filet knife, a couple hunters. My favorite is one they gave me as a gift its a small seraded locking folding knife. Handest thing ever.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Had a cutco hunter myself for years, it was a gift. Didn't cut well with that serrated edge, had the factory grind it off. Still won't make it through a whole deer skinning job w/o being sharpened. The steel simply is not that great compared to many other cutlery steels. Arguing to the contrary shows lack of experience with almost any other steel with a decent blade geometry or heat treat.

MM

Your experience is very different from the OPs. And from most other Cutco owners. I wonder how the OP can make it through multiple moose and you can't make it through a single deer. Can you post a pic of yours?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am very doubtful the OP made it through multiple moose with a cutco knife, maybe one but it would be a tough chore toward the end. I know my way around knives, their steel, edge geometry and heat treat. 440A won't get it done, with some sharpening absolutely, but you won't convince me of multiple animals the size of moose w/o that blade losing a lot of its edge while doing the job. This thread smells funny to me. My 2 cents, take it or leave it. Bothers me when things like this pop up, embellish some on a hunting story to make it a little more exciting is one thing, false information to sell a product is another.

MM

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am very doubtful the OP made it through multiple moose with a cutco knife, maybe one but it would be a tough chore toward the end. I know my way around knives, their steel, edge geometry and heat treat. 440A won't get it done, with some sharpening absolutely, but you won't convince me of multiple animals the size of moose w/o that blade losing a lot of its edge while doing the job. This thread smells funny to me. My 2 cents, take it or leave it. Bothers me when things like this pop up, embellish some on a hunting story to make it a little more exciting is one thing, false information to sell a product is another.

MM

I see you are a custom knife maker or you sell them anyhow but I guess I'm full of [bleep].. I never been called a liar before on the forums but I guess first time for everything... I really don't care what you think say what you want about me "embellishing my hunting stories". But hey its the internet we are all tough guys on the internet and can tell people they are full [bleep].. Make me a believer in your custom knives you sell me one at your cost and if I can skin a entire moose or elk without sharpening it. I will become your biggest pitchman I will have the boys in AK buying them.. I have made several of my friends believers in the Cutcos. Anyhow have a great day.

Last edited by 79S; 09/11/15.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a hobby maker who sells once in a while, been doing it for a few years now. It takes me at least 8 hours to complete a knife, some makers I'm sure do it much faster but I don't. There is zero chance I'm going to work 8 hours to settle an internet disagreement and send you a knife at cost. If you like your knife so much that is fine by me, and maybe you did get through the moose, I really might be wrong and I'm fine with that. But I know it would have been an S.O.B at the end because that knife had to be pretty dull. Listen to a few other people on here who have tried those knives( like myself) and then used other knives with better cutlery steel and have seen there is a significant difference in edge retention. That is the beauty of internet forums, you can learn from a lot of people who have more experience in fields that you may not in a very short amount of time. Alot of what I learned on becoming a maker I pulled off this forum from guys who have been doing it along time. Not ONE of them would spend time making a custom out of 440A, and there is a reason for that. You should ask yourself why guys who make a living based upon a knife's performance won't use that steel. Its not because Cutco knows something they don't.

MM

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am a hobby maker who sells once in a while, been doing it for a few years now. It takes me at least 8 hours to complete a knife, some makers I'm sure do it much faster but I don't. There is zero chance I'm going to work 8 hours to settle an internet disagreement and send you a knife at cost. If you like your knife so much that is fine by me, and maybe you did get through the moose, I really might be wrong and I'm fine with that. But I know it would have been an S.O.B at the end because that knife had to be pretty dull. Listen to a few other people on here who have tried those knives( like myself) and then used other knives with better cutlery steel and have seen there is a significant difference in edge retention. That is the beauty of internet forums, you can learn from a lot of people who have more experience in fields that you may not in a very short amount of time. Alot of what I learned on becoming a maker I pulled off this forum from guys who have been doing it along time. Not ONE of them would spend time making a custom out of 440A, and there is a reason for that. You should ask yourself why guys who make a living based upon a knife's performance won't use that steel. Its not because Cutco knows something they don't.

MM

6 moose with my cutco.... If one of your knives can do that I will buy one of you today for full price!

Last edited by 79S; 09/11/15.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So you went with 6, well I guess. Best of luck with your Supernatural enchanted Cutco, it must be something to behold. In all seriousness take what I said and consider it, there are new things to be learned every day.

MM

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,213 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,203
Posts18,466,067
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.