Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've heard nothing but good stuff about the 64 BSB's terminal performance on game. It's stubby profile and less than stellar target reputation may make it better for meat than groups.

But, I haven't given up on getting some decent groups.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/28/15.
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I don't know how the 64s will shoot in my new gun, or I would have loaded up instead of just buying 100. They don't have to shoot all that great to be useful for deer. On the other hand, at that price, if they shoot really well, then I'll try to get a bunch more for general use on does and maybe 'yotes. BC ain't all that important around here as ranges are generally pretty short.

I can't see the extra money for the copper slugs for my purposes. Maybe living with a Chinese woman (the Chinese can teach God's Chosen People a thing or too about pinching a penny) has started to rub off on me.

Actually, they have a better BC then the 60gr partition.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have a number of 64 BSB loads ready to try in my Ranch Rifle tomorrow morning.

Will chrono and will report.

DF

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
In my limited experience with them, they expand well and penetrate like crazy.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Bently
My sample of one nice doe with the 62 grain Federal Fusion convinced me that the .223 with that load works well. My son hit one quartering to him at about 90 yards, broke the front shoulder (humerus, hit it squarely), tore up the heart and lungs, and the slug was found nicely mushroomed in the off-flank under the skin. Deer did a literal back-flip and was dead.

You can't beat that performance, regardless of the round.

But, we hear all the time, you need bigger than .224 bore to kill a WT... laugh

I find it amazing how kids whack WT's with .223's on a regular basis, but adults somehow need larger bores to do the same thing... crazy

DF

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RinB
Ingwe only shoots 30 pound deer! Now that is what I call being selective.

Maybe he should go to the .204.
If he "improved" it we could all refer to it as Ingwe's "Great 204 Rigby"....WOW! Sort of a mini 416 Rigby.

Mule Deer, there is some new fodder for loonies.

There was a substantial WT buck shot in LA with a .204. That guy got himself into a heap of trouble, lost his trophy, got fined, not pretty.

If he'd have put that gun in the truck and been holding an old 30-30 or similar for the pictures and story, he'd be a lot happier today... grin

His ignorance of game laws wasn't much of a defense... cry

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I believe he also got rung up for several counts of contest fraud.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Things didn't go well for him, for sure.

All that was preventable.

DF

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Things didn't go well for him, for sure.

All that was preventable.

DF

Yup.
Life's tough enough without stepping on your own winky. Some folks just have to play with fire though. Playing games with the rules is half the fun, I 'spose.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
He told everyone, including LEO's about it. Guess he didn't realize it was illegal. He sure found out.

Back to the 64 BSB.

I shot a number of loads this AM out of the above custom Ranch Rifle. I used accuracy loads from where ever I could find some. I used a number of powders including CFE-223, Varget, Ball C, and Benchmark.

The only load that went under an inch was 25 gr. Varget.

Not a match bullet, not a tack driver, but a good meat bullet. I'll load a batch of the Varget variety and go kill something.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's how I feel about it. The only holes I'm worried about are the exit holes.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
He told everyone, including LEO's about it. Guess he didn't realize it was illegal. He sure found out.

Back to the 64 BSB.

I shot a number of loads this AM out of the above custom Ranch Rifle. I used accuracy loads from where ever I could find some. I used a number of powders including CFE-223, Varget, Ball C, and Benchmark.

The only load that went under an inch was 25 gr. Varget.

Not a match bullet, not a tack driver, but a good meat bullet. I'll load a batch of the Varget variety and go kill something.

DF

----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the accuracy report Dirtfarmer , makes me glad I haven't bought any of these.
I have some 65gr. game kings that group about an inch @ 100yds. and hit the target tip first out of a 12tw barrel .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yep, 65 gr. Gamekings will smoke 64 gr. BSB's at the range.

The BSB performs very well on critters, I think the Gameking does pretty well, too.

I guess the bottom line between those two would be terminal performance. I've not seen a comparison. I would think the BSB will hold together better than the Gameking, better chance of an exit wound.

Dead is dead, so it would depend on the size critter being hunted. Would appreciate input comparing these two on game.

DF

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sierra doesn't say much about ths one, but a few of the reviewers say it will indeed kill deer. As the regular price is the same as the over-run price on the BSBs, it's worth a shot.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Watching this topic and seeing everyone else is having about the same experience with the BSB's that I have. While I've never seen either the Sierra 65 gr or the BSB 64 gr used on game I think I'll take my chances with that 1 1/4 in. or so group I get with the 64 BSB over the 3/4 in. group with the 65 gr Sierra. Have no intentions in using either as a long range round.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
If I can get 3/4" groups with the BSB's I'll be ecstatic.

Some evil person on this thread mentioned their good results with Varget, so I guess I'll have to pick up a pound and try it.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
laugh

Guess that evil dude resembles me... grin

Ball C gave best results with the 65 Gameking, not as good as Varget with the 64 BSB. My best BSB load was slightly under an inch, not quite 3/4". I'm going to load a batch (Varget) and see how they work on critters.

Will be waiting for others to report.

For those wondering about a half inch Ranch Rifle, this one had extensive work by Accuracy Systems, Inc. Their full house make over was less expensive back when I had it done. This one beats their accuracy guarantee. I revamped the factory stock into the shape I wanted, painted it black. A great two stage trigger was part of that package.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
laugh

Guess that evil dude resembles me... grin

Ball C gave best results with the 65 Gameking, not as good as Varget with the 64 BSB. My best BSB load was slightly under an inch, not quite 3/4". I'm going to load a batch (Varget) and see how they work on critters.

Will be waiting for others to report.

For those wondering about a half inch Ranch Rifle, this one had extensive work by Accuracy Systems, Inc. Their full house make over was less expensive back when I had it done. This one beats their accuracy guarantee. I revamped the factory stock into the shape I wanted, painted it black. A great two stage trigger was part of that package.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very cool.

I look forward to your pictures of dead critters.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
laugh

Gotta kill some first... whistle

DF

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nosler lists CFE223 as the beauty queen for the BSB.

http://www.nosler.com/s/223-Rem-64gr-Version-7-1.pdf

I've got a pound I found while cruising for components one day. Was going to use it in my .308, but guess I'd better wait.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 14 invisible), 1,659 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.