Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I was lucky enough to draw a ID Unit 45 Bull tag. They combined the early and late hunts into a single 1-30 Oct hunt. They used to have 50 tags for each hunt, so now it's 100 tags into a single hunt.

Unit 45, although a great draw (one of the best mule deer areas in the state) is MOSTLY private. We've made a few runs up there and have been exploring. It's not a particularly large area (also include Unit 52) so I expect a lot of hunters, especially early when the rut is still winding down.

I wish I had more vacation time as I expect the elk to migrate down into fed/state land later in the season. Regardless, this should be a great hunt and it's about 30-40ish miles from the house - more if I want to explore Unit 52. smile

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

S
super T Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I'm the OP, my brother was checking trail cams this A.M. and heard at least two bulls bugling so it's starting! Can't wait. First day of hunting not that far off, Sept. 12th.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a SW Oregon Cascade muzzleloader elk tag. Could be fun, could be misery, depends on what November delivers at 4000-6000 feet. I've seen deep snow. I've seen sunny weather and dry ground.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Akbob5
I was lucky enough to draw a ID Unit 45 Bull tag. They combined the early and late hunts into a single 1-30 Oct hunt. They used to have 50 tags for each hunt, so now it's 100 tags into a single hunt.

Unit 45, although a great draw (one of the best mule deer areas in the state) is MOSTLY private. We've made a few runs up there and have been exploring. It's not a particularly large area (also include Unit 52) so I expect a lot of hunters, especially early when the rut is still winding down.

I wish I had more vacation time as I expect the elk to migrate down into fed/state land later in the season. Regardless, this should be a great hunt and it's about 30-40ish miles from the house - more if I want to explore Unit 52. smile
Good luck with that tag! I hunted an adjoining unit last year, but didn't hunt until Nov per the advice of a local. Lots of deer in/around 45 as I saw them deer hunting an adjacent unit in Oct. With more tags in the surrounding units, the opener can push a lot of elk into 45.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I go home to the Kootenays of BC, Sept. 08 and set up my bush camp on the 9th. The GOS opens the 10th and it is 6-point only.

I will go solo this year by choice and am limited by age and old injuries as to packing distance. I will be using the Seek Outside Divide pack I just bought and backing it with a modded original Dana Design Shortbed.

I use a Hilleberg Saivo, with a large Hille. tarp to build a bush camp that is luxurious for one and I do NOT build fires.

I know exactly where the elk hang out, very high, tough country, so, have probably about a 5-10% chance of success. But, Mulies,WT Deer and Grouse are available and Moose a bit later....so fun will be had.

Hope to blood the new Kimber MA-.280AI and will bring one of my Dakota 76-.338s as well.

Hope to do 3-4 trips of this type, about 5 days per and am feeling better than I have in the past 4 years.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

SNAP, good and safe hunting.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Drew a pretty decent tag for Oregon this year, have a any bull rifle tag for Murderers Creek, can't wait to get back there. My little spot was loaded with elk last deer season, so hoping a few stuck around from last year:)
Good hunting everyone!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Was going to do general archery in Idaho..But the Utah DWR called and said someone didnt want their LE tag, and I was the alternate..

I guess if nobody else wants it,I may as well take it smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Near home or further south? Good luck! It's amazing to me how many of those get turned back in. Except for medical, I wish they'd lose their points in doing so.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Headed to the White River country north of the Flat Tops, first rifle hunt for the 18th consecutive year. Two of my partners have hunted the ranch for about 30 years, the fourth guy is the newcomer--he only joined us four years ago.

Been hard hunting the last few years due to land use changes in the area, but I am hoping to blood a rifle new to me this year. It came to me, never hunted, as a gift from a cherished friend. I am looking forward to putting it to its intended use!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I will be in the salmon zone of Idaho from 10/10-11/08.
elk, deed and wolf..

Don't gobble at me
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mudhen
Headed to the White River country north of the Flat Tops, first rifle hunt for the 18th consecutive year. Two of my partners have hunted the ranch for about 30 years, the fourth guy is the newcomer--he only joined us four years ago.

Been hard hunting the last few years due to land use changes in the area, but I am hoping to blood a rifle new to me this year. It came to me, never hunted, as a gift from a cherished friend. I am looking forward to putting it to its intended use!

The Flat Tops were one of the neatest places I've hunted.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Idaho Upper Snake Region with a drawn cow tag, general deer and wolf mid-October.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Hunting SW Montana, Snowcrest and Centenial Ranges week before Thanksgiving. Hunting with my son and his kids living in Dillon. My sons growing family will eat all the elk we bring home. Being in good elk country, continuing our families hunting traditions is reward enough for me
.jd

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Yes!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
643 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 69 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.