Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I always keep silver carp. You can't keep enough of them to reduce the population.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Silver carp,, are those the ones that jump in your boat?

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Originally Posted by mikeymjr23
Not many fish I won't keep and eat...all depends on who was willing to take me on the boat with them.

One buddy is real involved in bass tourneys, and if he caught me killing ANY bass to take home and eat, well...I'd probably be made into chum for the bigger guys.

I love me some panfish.

Trout are not high on my list of fish to eat, but I'm not above smoking a couple here and there.

Bass tournaments kill more bass than people keeping a few to eat and that's a fact in the south. I have seen 20 - 30 dead fish after a tournament weigh in, many times in the warm water months. Fish caught in summer are hard to keep alive in even the most advanced live wells. And fish caught deep have to be fizzed or they belly up as soon as they go back into the water. Tournament Bass fisherman don't own the lakes and fish like they think they do. Keep all the bass you want.

Oh, I'll keep all the ones I don't catch on his boat. He does own the boat...haha

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Silver carp,, are those the ones that jump in your boat?

Yes, silver carp are the jumpers. It is an experience to be tooling down the river at 35 or 40 mph and get hit in the chest by a 6 lbs. silver carp. I can easily see why the f&g guys have chain-link fence barriers in the boat to protect themselves from silver carp hits.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I don't keep trout. Don't like to eat them.

Somethin' wrong with you...

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager

I don't really care for Trout either,,, or Salmon for that matter,,, although my buddy brings me a fresh caught fillet once in a while that go down pretty easy but I don't want a steady diet of it.
I keep any decent sized panfish....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bluegills, redeyes and walleye are keepers here. As long as they're legal and not too small.

Small and Largemouth Bass go back.

Catfish are 50/50, I don't care for the big ones to eat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^^To add to the above, I don't care what people keep though, long as they eat it.

What I really hate, is when a "proud" bass fisherman will put a dying/dead bass back in the water. Like they wouldn't dare be caught keeping one of their trophy fish, and would rather see it floating that have someone think they kept/ate it.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Redeyes are one of my favorites. Especially good out of cool clear mountain streams! With a side of fried taters and cornbread whew, that's a meal fit for a king.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

I don't really care for Trout either,,, or Salmon for that matter,,, although my buddy brings me a fresh caught fillet once in a while that go down pretty easy but I don't want a steady diet of it.

I like trout but I would take a mess of good sized bluegills, crappie or redeyes over a trout any day of the week.

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
seal, you have that right.. Brookies are ok, only because we have no good eating fish in this country..

Molon Labe
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Very interesting. Some fish I never heard of. As for me, I love blue gills if they are big enough. I keep most any fish, even sheapshead ( freshwater drum) now and again. They are better than store bought crap for $8 lb. in a box. I will keep smallmouth, nice sweet taste, better than walleye actually. Most of my fish are small channels cats. I smoke them for my arthritis in my back. Fish oil all but takes my pain away and channel cats are very oily. Don't like fried channel cats though. Walleye don't go back. I guess the only fish I won't keep is a musky, dogfish , Gar fish, eel pout ( Eel pout are for Viking fans)

Last edited by ihookem; 08/25/15.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the table,sunfish, crappies, perch and walleye are the best. Pike go into ground patties or the smoker. Salmon and occasional trout get grilled or smoked. Joining them in the smoker are spring rin suckers. haven't figured out how to catch whitefish yet, but they smoke good and are rumored to eat goods too. Haven't tried but other yet.

Bass, pike over 10, walleye over 4 (excrept from the Columbia river), and murkiest don't come into the boat. Lake trout too -fun to catch but not to eat. Grayling are not my type.

Sure I'm forgetting someone's favorite, but I made myself hungry-going to thaw some salmon for tomorrow!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Crappie and Stripers are the only fish I keep.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I agree, strippers are very good if you know how to clean them, white bass are the same. Gotta get that red meat out of the fillet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Amen, trout are for the tourists out here

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I am not a fan of eating fish,especially freshwater fish, though I love to catch them. That being said, I had some walleye this spring for the first time and would be happy enough to eat more, given the chance.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I will keep trout, big bluegills and some cats. I release all my bass though unless it's a striper the that will be consumed

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I target crappies and big bluegill for eating, and I set trottlines for 20lb+ flatheads. I'll fish for other species, but just for fun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't think of any of our freshwater fish that aren't worth eating. I have fished some lakes where the rainbows have a swampy taste to them.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 69 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.