Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Have any of you Sharps shooters changed your barrel sights to something more visible for close range hunting? I inherited the Shiloh Sharps Calvary Carbine that I gave to my Dad for his 72nd birthday and I would like to take it deer hunting but I can't figure out how anybody hits anything with the issued blade and buckhorn barrel sights. I'm thinking an ivory bead front and a semi buckhorn rear. Or maybe a short tang rear with the previously mentioned ivory bead front. Any input would be appreciated. I'm not willing to drill any extra holes. Oh, it's a 45/70. Dad was a 45/70 guy. Thanks; Mike

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What sort of rear sight is that carbine currently wearing, Mike ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it has the Lawrence ladder sight on it, that's a decent hunting sight, it's just a matter of learning to shoot with open irons.
You can call Shiloh and get a semi buckhorn sight from them that will fit right where that Lawrence sight is. It may be helpful to widen the notch out on the semi buck or the full buckhorn sight.
Going to an ivory front sounds like a good idea, until it snows , or you quit shooting at a black bullseye target, then the thing disappears. Best bet is to carry a black sharpie pin and darken the silver blade when needed, or change the front blade to one made from a real copper penny.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I had one of them but in 50-70 was a tack driver! I think i had a ivory bead on mine but want to shoot a bear with it never got to it was one of those guns i wish id never have sold.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks for all the replies. I snapped a couple pictures of the Sharps, both my #3 and the carbine. They both have the same sights.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Maybe it is just a matter of learning how to use these sights. Do you center the top of the front blade in the center of the buckhorn or bury it in the notch? Both seem to hit high at 100 yards with the top of the blade in the notch. Thanks again for the help.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Short and sweet ?

You work with whatever sight picture gives you the best accuracy.

Defining accuracy is probably the place to start.

Is the Carbine "accurate?"

Is the Ammo it's being fed, "accurate?"

If sight picture for short range work is the sole issue,an large bore FULL buckhorn, and the revered copper penny is a hard combo to beat.

That's for MY eyes, ....mind ya'.

Luck, Amigo.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
597 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.