Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The question is, leave it as 30-06 (which is a great elk cartridge) or rechamber it to 338-06, 35 Whelen or 9.3x62mm. What would be your choice for a good elk thumping pump gun??? Don't say 270 win either... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I vote 9.3

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My thoughts would be Whelen. I've been eyeing a 760 at the LGS for just such a conversion. 9.3 would be interesting but I don't know enough about it & how it'd work in the trombone.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leave it as is.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Leave it as is. 760 and 30-06 is as classic as it gets, and fine as an elk thumper.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Rebore is limited on how deep the sight screws were drilled.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The question is, leave it as 30-06 (which is a great elk cartridge) or rechamber it to 338-06, 35 Whelen or 9.3x62mm. What would be your choice for a good elk thumping pump gun??? Don't say 270 win either... laugh

270! (someone had to say it!)

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
ha ha...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Leave it in '06. The 760/7600 pump in .30-06 is a lefty shooter's dream. Only downside is the trigger, but that can be fixed.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 08/26/15.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RGK
Leave it in '06. The 760/7600 pump in .30-06 is a lefty shooter's dream. Only downside is the trigger, but that can be fixed.
Bob

[Linked Image]

I was waiting for you to respond... wink Mine is no where near as nice as yours, but a great platform to do a re-bore. However, I really like the good ol 06 too. Maybe I'll just have this one cerakoted midnight blue and call it a day....
[Linked Image]

The trigger was creepy, gritty and heavy when I got it but it's not as bad now after polishing and clipping the spring. Breaks right at 3.25 pounds. Don't know if I want to go any lighter than that. It's still safe and I like safe vs. going a tad too far and making it unsafe. I want to shoot the rifle as it is now and see how accurate it is. The bore is not pristine and was one of the reasons I was thinking about sending it off to JES for a re-bore. I also always thought a 9.3 pump gun would make a cool little thumper. If that happens I'll be installing a 1" pachmayr decelerator though... Thanks for the help guys...

BSA MAGA
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
If a new barrel is needed try out a 35 whelen. That round has always cought my attention. The 760 is very similar to a 870 which is what I carry for upland birds (no budget for fancy side by side) and I get annoyed after a few hours of holding the metal slide guids. From your posts you seem to get out and really hunt, How much does your gun weigh?

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've always wanted one of those BDL lefty 760s with the basketweave checkering. Sounds like you got the trigger weight perfect. I think you'll be surprised how well that pump shoots...the floated barrel helps. They do tend to heat up quickly though, and then start vertically stringing. If it doesn't group well, a rebore to .35 Whelen would be relatively easy.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 08/26/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Leave as is.
That model is developing something of a following.
I vaguely recall a thread a while back about a fella being embarrassed to take one on a guided hunt, but that is changing and they have their place.
There will be one among my hunting party this year.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I'd go 35 Whelen. That combination is like they were made for each other.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
17, One of the Montana guys has a 760 rebored to .35 Whelen.. I bet he answers..

Nice rifle.. I have never owned one.. As much as I like pump shotguns, I should have one..

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Another vote for the .35 Whelen..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't ever shoot the donor rifle smile A 9.3x62 be pretty sweet.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
17, One of the Montana guys has a 760 rebored to .35 Whelen.. I bet he answers..

Nice rifle.. I have never owned one.. As much as I like pump shotguns, I should have one..

That's where I was at too. Seemed like I was always admiring them and thought I'd really enjoy one since I've always hunted birds with a pump gun (rem 870). That's one shotgun I will never part with since it is a left hand wingmaster made in the 70's and those are damn hard to find. I've shot a lot of trap with a pump gun as well and they just feel "right" to me. They are a little funky when shooting doubles though and I'm not going to deny short stroking the hull shucker a few times. Generally turned in an average of 47 out of 50 on the line though. Never enough to win the money, but always had fun out there. I've never fired a 760 pump, so we'll see how I like it after this weekend.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Don't ever shoot the donor rifle smile A 9.3x62 be pretty sweet.

I really like the 9.3x62mm cartridge. My CZ 550 is one of the most accurate rifles I own. However, I'm thinking if I like this one enough and it ends up turning into a 9.3 I might let the CZ go.... blush

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why does 1917's 760 have that step on top the action. Mine has that also but most do not. I have been trying to find info about them and can't find any? Thx, sorry for hijack.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I might be the "Montana guy" who had a 760 .30-06 rebored to .35 Whelen.

Picked it up at the Missoula gun show already rebored by JES. The bore also looked great through my Hawkeye borescope, and it shot as accurately a .35 Whelen needs to shoot for killing big game, around 1" to 1-1/2" for 3 shots at 100 yards.

As I recall the rifle was made in the late 50's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have no idea why you would want to rebore a perfectly good rifle.

Elk thumper? '06 been thumping Elk for a long time. Leave it alone.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kenneth
I have no idea why you would want to rebore a perfectly good rifle.

Elk thumper? '06 been thumping Elk for a long time. Leave it alone.

The bore looks pretty worn. I'll see how she shoots this weekend or maybe when I get a good scope set-up on it.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I might be the "Montana guy" who had a 760 .30-06 rebored to .35 Whelen.

Picked it up at the Missoula gun show already rebored by JES. The bore also looked great through my Hawkeye borescope, and it shot as accurately a .35 Whelen needs to shoot for killing big game, around 1" to 1-1/2" for 3 shots at 100 yards.

As I recall the rifle was made in the late 50's.

Thanks John, but I think they might have been referring to the guy that asked the question about 6 months ago about taking a 35 whelen pump gun elk hunting. I think the consensus here said hell yeah, take it!!!! I actually thought it was a cool combination. About a year ago, I almost bought a real nice 760 that had been rebored by JES, but drug my feet too long and someone else snagged it right up. Been kicking myself in the azz since. This rifle I recently purchased will be better for me as it is already a lefty configuration. I'm also thinking about adding a 1" pachmary decelerator to get the LOP right and reduce recoil: Kill 2 birds so to speak...I also figured if I'm going to put a decelerator on it anyway, might as well go with the 9.3. However, if the rifle shoots good as is, I am going to do like Kenneth said and leave the damn thing alone laugh. I love the 30-06 cartridge: Been using it since I was 12...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been thinking that a 760 rebored or rebarreled to 9.3x62 could cover a lot of bases, and this does not help the idea NOT come to fruition at all.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I think the 760 in the Whelan is the coolest option, however.... The '06 is FAR more versatile and an '06 stoked with 220gr pills will have better sectional density and likely penetrate better than many .35gr projectiles. I'd load a heavy in the 06 and let her roll.

RLTW
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Do you have one in 35 whelen already?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by greentimber
I think the 760 in the Whelan is the coolest option, however.... The '06 is FAR more versatile and an '06 stoked with 220gr pills will have better sectional density and likely penetrate better than many .35gr projectiles. I'd load a heavy in the 06 and let her roll.

I've been trying to weigh this all out in my mind. All great points. Thanks... Oh, by the way do you guys think this rifle will stabilize these:

[Linked Image]

250gr. is as heavy as I can go laugh. However, we know a good 180gr. partition will take care of an elk with ease. I also have 400 200gr. nosler partitions on the shelf too...Elk medicine.. laugh

BSA MAGA
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
338/06
Best of both worlds.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The idea of a fast pointing pump action with a quick follow up shot in 9.3 seems made to be a perfect deep woods elk rifle. But it really does seem like the 35 Whelan would be the classic American caliber. I can't say anything bad about the 06 but it would finish 3rd in that comparison.

I have an old tang safety Ruger in 06 that doesn't shoot but was my dad's and I've thought of a re-bore to make it the close up thumper. It wouldn't be nearly as handy as the pump. After shooting a pump action 22 my grandson asked if he could get a pump action elk rifle instead of a bolt. Now for a 10 year old the 270 would be about right.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a 760 that I rebarreled to .375 Hawk and it is essentially a .375 H&H in a pump gun. I have shot a fair # of hogs with it using 235 gr. Speers and the really die fast. I also used a Timney 870 trigger kit to fix the trigger. That worked great.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just loaded up 50 rounds of the 200gr. Nosler partitions to try out in the old girl... Wish me luck...

BSA MAGA
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just loaded up 50 rounds of the 200gr. Nosler partitions to try out in the old girl... Wish me luck...

Waiting for the results...remember to let the barrel cool thoroughly between groups. Mine heats up and starts stringing after 4-5 shots. 3 shot groups work well, between cooling breaks.
Bob

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I shot a raghorn Elk in the head with my 760 in 06 250 grain
Barnes factory load split the horn base.

kk alaska

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I really like my 358 Win and would probably like it just a bit better if it were on steroids…I'd go 35 Whelen and keep the CZ 9.3x62. My CZ 9.3x62 is very accurate as well and a real thumper.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RGK

Waiting for the results...remember to let the barrel cool thoroughly between groups. Mine heats up and starts stringing after 4-5 shots. 3 shot groups work well, between cooling breaks.
Bob

Thanks Bob. I'll shoot 3 and let her cool... It will be a lot cooler her today so that will help a lot too!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kk alaska
I shot a raghorn Elk in the head with my 760 in 06 250 grain
Barnes factory load split the horn base.

laugh cool

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Mule Deer, I didn't realize you had the .35 Whelen in a Rem. pump..
I looked the guy up his handle is Ulvejaeger... He has shown several elk killed with his .35..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My 760 is in 06 and it's a shooter. Heck of woods rifle, I would leave it as is if it shoots.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeHunter
My 760 is in 06 and it's a shooter. Heck of woods rifle, I would leave it as is if it shoots.

Thanks, that is the plan if it ends up being a shooter..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Alright the bore was a nasty sob:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Worked on it for about an hour this morning before taking it to the range. It was real windy anyway, so I figured shooting wouldn't be good, but it died down a bit and then I went...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
First group fired with the rifle. Not zeroed in at this point:

[Linked Image]

It's nice when a new (to you) rifle shoots sub moa on the first group you fire with it, but 1.339" isn't too bad from a pump gun and 200gr. pills...

Next group fired:
[Linked Image]

Remember, I'm working on loads for this one right now and the bore is still pretty copper fouled.....

Next group:
[Linked Image]

Figured I better check this load again since it shot sub moa on a windy as fu ck day. I re-adjusted the scope to get closer to the orange dot:
[Linked Image]

Wind blew my target stand down once and then it started to sprinkle. I wanted to test the function of the rifle with some off hand shots. 5 shots in about 5 seconds:

[Linked Image]

The slide felt a little gritty compared to my lefty wingmaster, but it worked great. The trigger broke very crisp and cleanly. The LOP is still a hair short, but I figure with hunting jacket on it will be about perfect. I think I am going to leave this one alone: Not even put the recoil pad on it either since it is really a puzzy cat to shoot. I'm liking it quite a bit and think the 200gr. Partition is elk worthy. I'm glad I bought those 400 when they were $13.45/bag. Nothing wrong with these seconds from SPS.. wink ..

I forgot to mention, I did as my buddy RGK suggested and shot 3 shot groups and while I was letting the barrel cool I shot some groups with my 223 rem. I had to test the wind with the little boring rifle. It wasn't shooting as well as it normally does, so I know the wind had an effect on the groups today. Exactly how much? I wont' know until the next time out.

[Linked Image]

Well, I better go and clean the ol girl. More copper to mine... sick

BSA MAGA
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I looked the guy up his handle is Ulvejaeger... He has shown several elk killed with his .35..

I'm here.....
My 760 is a 270 JES rebore to the 35 Whelen and has worked well w/everything I've tried bullet wise. I have settled on either 250 Hornady RN's or Partitions in the same weight. Many elk have met their demise w/either bullet. It is fun, the comments are entertaining, to be the only one in camp shooting RN's!
And it is also one of those cooooooool basketweave models

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
drop the trigger group and clean the slide channels in the receiver real good. that takes care of the gritty slide most times. i bought a cheap 760 carbine a few years ago that barely cycled. i broke it down found a old cleaning patch jammed into the trigger group and the inside of the receiver was full of muddy looking gunk. cleaned the hell out of it and lubed it with remoil and it shoots 165 corelokts moa all day long.

My diploma is a DD214
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I think that one is going to be fine.
Bob

PS-looking for a lefty 06 BDL 760 ON GunBroker now...

Last edited by RGK; 08/29/15.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger

I'm here.....
My 760 is a 270 JES rebore to the 35 Whelen and has worked well w/everything I've tried bullet wise. I have settled on either 250 Hornady RN's or Partitions in the same weight. Many elk have met their demise w/either bullet. It is fun, the comments are entertaining, to be the only one in camp shooting RN's!
And it is also one of those cooooooool basketweave models

That's just plain cool...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RGK
I think that one is going to be fine.
Bob

PS-looking for a lefty 06 BDL 760 ON GunBroker now...

Thanks buddy.. laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
bsa

First of all I'd leave it as is and shoot the 165 or 180 Accubond or Partition.

I have a stable full of 760's and 7600's in many calibers and configurations and proudly take any one of them on all my hunts. They will shoot just as well as most bolt rifles out to 400 with good handloads.

Last fall I used my 270 M7600 to take an Idaho bull at 302yds with a Nosler 140 AB.

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dang whelen nut. You'd think with a name like yours, you would have been telling me to turn it into a 35 Whelen or use the heavies in the 30-06 at least. Now what the hell am I going to do with these good 200gr. bullets??? grin. Most of my shots on elk here, have been sub 100 yards in the timber. I appreciate all of your comments. How do you guys feel about midnight blue cerakoting???? This rifle has a few scratches and a few light spots of rust that will come off pretty easily, but I'd like to have it cerakoted by my local guy that does a hell of a job so it is more weatherized. We get a lot of rain here sometimes during elk season...Here is my 338 win mag that I had cerakoted in midnight blue. I'm thinking about going with the same color on the 760. Is it sacrilege??? :

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I would think not a problem.. There are lots of Remington pumps around.. Don't see the 760's as much as others, but always a few in the used gun racks, especially on the east coast...

Molon Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys, this one has been a long time coming...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just a thought about having JES do a rebore on a 760...a very long time ago I used to shoot a 742 '06 and would stick case's all the time until duoh somebody told me to get a different RCBS die set for stuff being shot out of auto & pump loaders. I grew up on 870's and have always wanted an excuse to buy a 760...and this sounds like the answer, as I miss my 9.3x62 CZ a neighbor talked me out of.

So the ?? is ... if the you rebore/rechamber an '06 etc to a Whelan or 9.3...who makes Small Base sizing dies for those calibers...or do you even NEED to have SB dies at all??
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by verhoositz
Just a thought about having JES do a rebore on a 760...a very long time ago I used to shoot a 742 '06 and would stick case's all the time until duoh somebody told me to get a different RCBS die set for stuff being shot out of auto & pump loaders. I grew up on 870's and have always wanted an excuse to buy a 760...and this sounds like the answer, as I miss my 9.3x62 CZ a neighbor talked me out of.

So the ?? is ... if the you rebore/rechamber an '06 etc to a Whelan or 9.3...who makes Small Base sizing dies for those calibers...or do you even NEED to have SB dies at all??
Ron

I loaded up some ammo using my FL dies and fired them to get the rifle on paper before I started with the 200gr. partitions. They worked flawlessly. I've also loaded for a Winchester model 100 semi-auto, using FL dies and no problems whatsoever. I don't think it is necessary to use small base dies with the pump guns.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
It looks good and I'll bet it gets better. I'm looking forward to seeing where you end up with it.

My 760 shoots the Fusions so well I quit loading for it.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Love the Remington pumps...here's a 7600 in .30-06 (top) and a 760 in 6mm. Both wear late-manufactured Lyman 4X Permacenter All-American scopes, which are a favorite of mine. Both shoot superbly, if you let the barrels cool between groups.
Bob

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice rifles!! Makes me want to rush out and buy one!!

Won't be making my trip to the eastern whitetail states this fall so doubtful if that happens.. Still, I might check around...

Molon Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My dad and his family are from PA, so by all rights I should have had one of these a long time ago.... laugh. Nice rifles RGK... Look to be in primo condition. I wish mine was a little nicer...

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
1917, If you get the hots for another, Grice's in Clearfield, Pa. usually has between 10-20 on the used rack.. I am guessing at that figure, but I check the used stuff there when I am in the area.. Mostly 06's, and .270's.. But some 243, 308, 7mm08, .25-06 once in a while..
I am not sure the chambered them for the .35 Whelen, but I think I may have seen a couple of those.. Will kind of miss my whitetail trip there this year..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Why does 1917's 760 have that step on top the action. Mine has that also but most do not. I have been trying to find info about them and can't find any? Thx, sorry for hijack.

The step was on the BDL versions of the 760. Don't see too many of them.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
1917, If you get the hots for another, Grice's in Clearfield, Pa. usually has between 10-20 on the used rack.. I am guessing at that figure, but I check the used stuff there when I am in the area.. Mostly 06's, and .270's.. But some 243, 308, 7mm08, .25-06 once in a while..
I am not sure the chambered them for the .35 Whelen, but I think I may have seen a couple of those.. Will kind of miss my whitetail trip there this year..

Do you guys see many of the left hand versions?

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I bet, I was in the Pittsburgh area with my dad last year and it was nice to be up there again...

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
1917, I have looked at those racks almost every year since I retired in 99.. For a while I was there a couple times a year, I am not sure if I ever saw a left hand model.. But Pa. does NOT allow semi autos for deer hunting or any hunting as far as rifles.. That is the place I would keep checking for a left hand model.. I probably did see some, and since I am right handed, it didn't stick.. Since Rem. produced them, I am certain Grice had some pass though the store, just didn't pay attention.. Sorry.. If I can remember, I will double check on my next visits, but they won't be til 2016.. But I should be there two different trips..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks wyocoyotehunter...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang whelen nut. You'd think with a name like yours, you would have been telling me to turn it into a 35 Whelen or use the heavies in the 30-06 at least. Now what the hell am I going to do with these good 200gr. bullets??? grin. Most of my shots on elk here, have been sub 100 yards in the timber. I appreciate all of your comments. How do you guys feel about midnight blue cerakoting???? This rifle has a few scratches and a few light spots of rust that will come off pretty easily, but I'd like to have it cerakoted by my local guy that does a hell of a job so it is more weatherized. We get a lot of rain here sometimes during elk season...Here is my 338 win mag that I had cerakoted in midnight blue. I'm thinking about going with the same color on the 760. Is it sacrilege??? :

[Linked Image]

bsa

If those 200's shoot well, use them. That 200gr will certainly do what is necessary to put some elk steaks on your grill.

I still think the Whelen is an outstanding round for elk, moose, and bears but not needed for deer. And I surely wouldn't spend the $$ to rebore your rifle!

WN

Last edited by Whelen Nut; 08/30/15.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That 'Midnight Blue' cerakote is very nice!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I shot my 760 06 today. 180 Fusions went right into an inch group, no need to load for it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MagMarc
I shot my 760 06 today. 180 Fusions went right into an inch group, no need to load for it.

No surprise, there. cool

I have learned that 760's and 7600's with Federal ammo is a good combination.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MagMarc

No need, unless you enjoy that kind of thing or want to wring a little more accuracy out of it. Sounds like a great shooter. I've heard these 760's shoot and have seen 1 that shot very consistent sub moa. Almost had my azz handed to me by a young guy (21 years old), who could shoot that damn thing like nobodies business. We were shooting in a hunting rifle class offhand shoot, no sling support. Smallest steel plate was 4" and I nailed mine every shot. The guy shooting the 760, nailed his 7 out of 10 times and also busted the egg hanging by a string. The egg counted for a lot more points than the 4" steel plates, so needless to say it was a close match.. blush. That match really changed the way I felt about the Remington 760...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've heard these 760's shoot and have seen 1 that shot very consistent sub moa.

I've shot alongside Whelen Nut on numerous occasions @ 400 yds.
His 7600 in .270 will have you picking your jaw off the bench. grin

They're not supposed to do that - but they can - and do.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My brothers 760 270 is the same way.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my encounters with 760’s and 7600’s, far more have shot well than not. In fact I’d say all but one have been capable of 1” or smaller groups at 100 yards.

But we all know modern big game, including elk, requires ½” groups.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I saw one once that shot well....the 1.5moa standard....and it was <gasp> a .270

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
BSA my 760 in o6 will stabilize the Orig Barnes 250 gr quite well. With Factory 250 gr load it was dead on at 100 yards favorite 180 gr load 1.5 " high. The 760 never seemed to loose its zero also.

Last edited by kk alaska; 09/06/15.

kk alaska

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought a 760 in 270 awhile back and of the four 270s in residence, it is easily as accurate as the CLR and a Husqvarna-built S&W "A" and more accurate than the Ruger 77 RSI. This is shooting 130 grain Hornady American Whitetail and Winchester/Olin Power-Max Bonded.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Awesome info guys. Thanks for sharing. I'm pretty happy with this ol girl. I've made comments in the past about "if I ever find a good left handed 760, I might just get rid of my pre 64's". I don't see that happening any time soon, but I can see this one growing on me. We'll see how she does this hunting season. Hopefully I'll get to make a shot on a nice bull with it!!!

BSA MAGA
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Awesome info guys. Thanks for sharing. I'm pretty happy with this ol girl. I've made comments in the past about "if I ever find a good left handed 760, I might just get rid of my pre 64's". I don't see that happening any time soon, but I can see this one growing on me. We'll see how she does this hunting season. Hopefully I'll get to make a shot on a nice bull with it!!!

You know, you can enjoy both...
Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of these years, I'm going to have to have a 760 synthetic stocked, rebarreled to 9.3x62, with the big magazine, tritium front sight, flip up barrel sight, QD rings with a good scope, and a BUIS receiver sight.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4ager
One of these years, I'm going to have to have a 760 synthetic stocked, rebarreled to 9.3x62, with the big magazine, tritium front sight, flip up barrel sight, QD rings with a good scope, and a BUIS receiver sight.

Sounds plenty bad azz, to me! cool

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RGK

You know, you can enjoy both...
Bob

laugh

BSA MAGA
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My experience of one 760 (which makes me an expert) in 30-06 found it to be pretty accurate-1-1.5 inch groups at 100 off the bench were no problem. The recoil with the original buttplate was pretty stout-much more than any other 30-06 I had experienced then. Dad agreed and it got a Pachmayr right quick. Still gets your attention but a neat rifle anyway that would be handy to carry.

Originally Posted by Whelen Nut

Swap that synthetic stock out for a collapsible and add a Picatinny rail under the barrel for your light and you will have something that puts that Mossberg Tactical Lever Action everyone wants to shame!
grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JSH
My experience of one 760 (which makes me an expert) in 30-06 found it to be pretty accurate-1-1.5 inch groups at 100 off the bench were no problem. The recoil with the original buttplate was pretty stout-much more than any other 30-06 I had experienced then. Dad agreed and it got a Pachmayr right quick. Still gets your attention but a neat rifle anyway that would be handy to carry.

Originally Posted by Whelen Nut

Swap that synthetic stock out for a collapsible and add a Picatinny rail under the barrel for your light and you will have something that puts that Mossberg Tactical Lever Action everyone wants to shame!
grin

JSH, I've always heard the 760's kick pretty hard. I was actually quite surprised that the one I have isn't too bad. Maybe not even as bad as my fwt 30-06..

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The more recent rifles have quite a bit less drop at the heel than the early rifles that were stocked for shooting open sights. Those with the monte carlo style stocks seem to distribute recoil quite well, or at least the injection molded stock on my 270 does.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm thinking this one with its lefty cheek piece helps with fit. The LOP is still a little too short for me, but with hunting coat and probably backpack strap in the way, it should work pretty good. I contemplated putting a pachmayr decelerator on mine to lengthen it a bit, but probably won't do that anytime soon. Unless I plan on shooting it a lot with a t-shirt on I think I'll just leave it as is for now...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The hard plate and LOP is nice if you take heavier clothing (quite prevalent in our neck of the woods) and backpack strap into account.

It's slickery in shouldering that way. I still prefer a longer LOP so mine wear decelerators.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 752 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,672
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.