Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've measured and reamed all my .45 Colts. Some need it more than others.

DF

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's a 4227 group at 20 yds.

[Linked Image]

Here's what shot it. Three screw SBH .44 Mag line bored by Jim Stroh to .45 Colt, 6" Shilen barrel and other custom features. I did a trigger stop and tuned the trigger to perfection.

DF

[Linked Image]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Yep. I've had to ream the cylinders on several of my new model BlackHawks in .45 Colt. But I've heard Ruger has finally gotten them right on the new guns now.

I was talking to a gun shop owner this week and he said Ruger is finally doing it right.

Not being snotty, friends, but what is "right"?

I've heard lots of things, but seeing is believing.

Some measurements would be nice!

0.4525" is where mine are cut

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Favorite loads so far for a Ruger Bisley and a Browning low wall...

8-9gr Unique 255lswc

13gr HS-6 255lswc, from Linebaughs favorite 45colt loads
http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm

26gr H110 250 XTP, great with the low wall

gonna work on some loads this fall for couple different 300 and 300+ bullets and 270 rcbs flat point and hollw point out of a mihec mold.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yep. I've had to ream the cylinders on several of my new model BlackHawks in .45 Colt. But I've heard Ruger has finally gotten them right on the new guns now.

I was talking to a gun shop owner this week and he said Ruger is finally doing it right.

Probably not telling you anything you don't already know but, right, at least as far as cast bullets goes, would be having the chamber mouths slightly larger than groove diameter. I just picked up an ANIB 1993 Ruger Bisley 45 Colt last week. I haven't had time to get to the range yet but I did run the critical dimensions and it is, at least according to everything I've read and experienced with cast bullet guns, is wrong.

Using pin gauges its cylinder mouths measure .450 and the groove diameter slugs at .4514. It also shows the usual restriction where the barrel mates to the frame. By all accounts it should shoot cast bullets poorly. A trip to the range with the Ransom Rest will tell whether or not it wants to shoot cast bullets well.

I don't shoot jacketed bullets in revolvers so won't be able to say if the Ruger will shoot jacketed with these dimensions. It most likely will. Jacketed bullets tend to be more forgiving than cast of less than perfect critical dimensions.

I'd be curious to check some new Rugers in 45 Colt to see if Scott's gunshop guy is right. My Redhawk four inch 45 Colt I bought four years ago was certainly undersized on the cylinder mouths and had to be opened to .4525 before it would shoot cast bullets well.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Reloder28
[Linked Image]

4227 probably has the smoothest pressure curve of any powder in that class. It's easy on cylinders, can even be used in older guns.

Reprotedly Hank Williams, Jr., who is a Colt collector and pretty knowledgable about such stuff, likes 4227 in the .45 Colt.

DF
My choice too.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just happen to have some 4227 on the shelf.

Thanks for giving me the incentive to finally try this powder in the 45colt.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think you'll like it. Of course, we'll need a report.

To me, 4227 has less flash, boom and recoil of the others and still pushes bullets pretty fast.

Hot loads of H-110, even 2400, seem more violent than full house 4227 loads.

Not sure how one quantifies that, just my $.02.

Try them and compare. See what you think.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
For something different, try the 170 Thunderhead from Penn Bullets. They're bad on hogs, hit with an audible whallop.

Not quite as accurate as the Bull X 255 SWC, but not bad.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Legitimate question. All 6 cylinders being cut the same or almost the same and measuring 0.452".

There was a time I "fixed" several bad cylinders. I had accesses to a Sunnen Hone with an air gauge. I would measure and find the largest then clean up and rough spots or tool marks then make the other five the same within 0.00005. It is easy to do with the right equipment. It does the job way better than a reamer ever dreamed of doing.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's a Jim Stroh worked over Bisley I bought used 10-12 years ago, fitted stag grips, even installed the Ruger emblem. And, below that is a Blackhawk three screw that I fitted with a SBH grip frame, blued and fitted Micarta grips many years ago. It's so old, the ivory Micarta is now yellow.

.45 Colt, both, of course.

You may think I like .45 Colts... grin

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
i really like 2400 for my .45 LC. A 300gr bullet with a stout load of 2400 is all the recoil I care for. The extra velocity of H110 would pretty much wasted for my needs.

Hunt Africa while you can
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This thread has helped me do some thinking. There is a great chance a Ruger Flattop convertible with a 5 1/2" barrel will take up permanent residence in my safe soon.

I really like Accurate powders and have been looking for some loads in the lighter side of +P. I also have read that the 45 LC has some case capacity problems with the newer powders in that the case is not nearly full and powder position can make a significant difference through a chronograph and thus down range. My research shows loads with the 255 gr cast I plan to start with list Accurate powders 9, 4100, 5744, and Ramshot Enforcer. All have +P loads starting at 20.6 gr and going up. Those +P starting loads range around 1,230 fps to 1,350 fps. I do believe those loads would do the trick on most any critter in the lower 48 and still be pretty mild to shoot. Add that with a fuller case for more even burn and less powder position problems should be a win, win.

Thoughts? Am I over thinking this or am I on the right track. Thanks.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Scott,

Wish I could comment on the Accurate powders, but while their rifle powders are available locally, I have almost never seen their pistol powders. I think #9 is the only one I've run into around my area and that has been rarely. If I could find some of any of those you mentioned I'd give them a try.

I think you're on the right track though. Enforcer, 4100 and #9 are all right in there with 2400 for burn rate and 5744 runs real close to 4227. Any of them should meet your goals.

In a big case like the 45 Colt I'm more comfortable with a fuller case. Blue dot is about as fast as I've gone with the big cases with the exception of Elmer's Bullseye load in the 44 Special. I generally prefer 2400 and H110 and after reading this thread am going to do some more work with 4227. I tried it when I was developing heavy bullet loads in my 41 magnum and it gave outstanding accuracy and milder recoil than H110. It did lag a little behind in velocity but not by much. I'd be curious to run some 5744 and 4227 through my 45's to see how they fared.

Congrats on the Flattop convertible. That ought to be a very enjoyable handgun. Keep us posted on how it shoots.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This thread has helped me do some thinking. There is a great chance a Ruger Flattop convertible with a 5 1/2" barrel will take up permanent residence in my safe soon.

I really like Accurate powders and have been looking for some loads in the lighter side of +P. I also have read that the 45 LC has some case capacity problems with the newer powders in that the case is not nearly full and powder position can make a significant difference through a chronograph and thus down range. My research shows loads with the 255 gr cast I plan to start with list Accurate powders 9, 4100, 5744, and Ramshot Enforcer. All have +P loads starting at 20.6 gr and going up. Those +P starting loads range around 1,230 fps to 1,350 fps. I do believe those loads would do the trick on most any critter in the lower 48 and still be pretty mild to shoot. Add that with a fuller case for more even burn and less powder position problems should be a win, win.

Scott, I don't think the new Flattops are as strong a frame as the standard model BlackHawks old model Vaqueros. If that's the case, you don't want to shoot the Ruger "only" heavy handloads. I may be wrong, but that's what I was told when I bought my first new model flattop several years ago.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Scott, I don't think the new Flattops are as strong a frame as the standard model BlackHawks old model Vaqueros. If that's the case, you don't want to shoot the Ruger "only" heavy handloads. I may be wrong, but that's what I was told when I bought my first new model flattop several years ago.

You may be right. Seems I remember something about them using the smaller, New Vaquero series frame for that gun.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Scott, in Dangerous Game Rifles by Terry Wieland, he writes 5744 is a favorite reduced load fuel for the big "elephant cartridges" because it is not dependent on case fill density. IIRC, he stated that it could be sloshing around in some fraction of the case, changing position and still get reliable ignition and apparently consistent pressure. Should be the same in the 45 C case.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks.

I said Flattop but after looking it is listed as a Blackhawk convertible. I will check into it more and make sure. I have not ordered it yet as I do not have the cash in hand and won't order it until I do.

While we are on the subject I was offered it in a blue with extra cylinder for the 45 ACP and a 5 1/2' barrel for $699. This is from a local gut I would like to support. Does that sound about right?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Scott,
MSRP is $699

Through Davidsons Gun Genie I can order it through a local dealer for $553 and 27 are available.

Check online for prices ordering it through Davidsons to your/a local dealer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks.

I said Flattop but after looking it is listed as a Blackhawk convertible. I will check into it more and make sure. I have not ordered it yet as I do not have the cash in hand and won't order it until I do.

While we are on the subject I was offered it in a blue with extra cylinder for the 45 ACP and a 5 1/2' barrel for $699. This is from a local gut I would like to support. Does that sound about right?

That's too high, Scott

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

452 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 1,916 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,216
Posts18,447,389
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.