Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
My son's ready to start bowhunting so I'd like to pick up a good body-harness for him so he's safe. He's 5'8" 140lbs now but will likely be 6' in the next few years so whatever we get it'll have to be pretty adjustable.... crazy laugh

In addition to your recommendations on a harness, if you have experience with a good quality safety line or better yet, have made your own, I'd like your input there as well....thanks!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Safety harness is just a preference. I use the life line ropes. Work great.
I can testify the hunters safety system and the life line works as a tree stand fell out from under me last year.

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I use the Muddy harness and really like it. My son has the HSS and dislikes the leg straps because the buckles click together when walking. He is probably going to make a change soon, but I'm not sure what new harness he will choose. We use climbers so don't use a lifeline but rather a tree strap and stay connected from the time we leave the ground until back on earth.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I think the harness is a personal preference since everyone's body type and shooting and treestand setup is different (ladder, climber, hang-on). The important part is just finding a harness you like so there is never a doubt you will wear it.

But for ropes, these are the best I've found. Jim will sell bulk rope and you can make them yourself which I have done or I just get the lifelines pre-made with prussic knot at the length I need. Top quality all the way.

http://safetreehunt.com/products/

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I spend a lot of time high in a climber, or hang-on, and use a Gorilla Gear G‑TAC vest. Like MOGC said, it's important you have something that you'll actually use. I put it on with my clothes before I go and have a rope loop already in the trees to hook it to when I get there.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
After reading about rock climbing harnesses on Archery Talk a few years ago I decided to try one. Use climbing stands only and attach before leaving the ground. I use a Black Diamond Vario Speed Harness which attaches in the front above the waist. There is no comparison when when test hanging, the rock climbing harness is much more comfortable. In addition in the event of a fall you will be facing the tree making self rescue much easier. There are youtube videos that show how well this works. After trying the rock climbing harness I would never go back to the conventional tree stand harness. As far as ropes I use the standard climbing rope with the prussic knot and it works great.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Rock climbing harness here also.
Lots of advantages but may not be for everyone.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't really care what brand of safety system anyone chooses. However every person in a tree should be using a safety harness.

This year was especially scary and the fall involved was on the ground. However the serious nature of the event and the time to get help was surprisingly longer then I would have ever imagined. Even with the victim that could walk, well sorta walk out on her own. Her leg was cut very badly and needed stitches at the ER, plus dislocated her shoulder and separated collar bone. Pants soaked with blood and a 2/3 mile walk to the vehicle.

This was a 7' fall off an embankment. I reflect back on this thinking what if!

What if it was me and I was alone?
What if it was from the height of the tree stand and not the embankment?
What if the victim was unconscious and needed a medic, ambulance, helicopter?

Hunting from trees alone in the wilderness is a seriously dangerous event for us. It seems casual and easy but humans don't often land well from any height! Our safety systems use a rope from the safety strap in the tree at the stand that hangs to the ground. To this rope we snap in with a full body harness made by hunter safety systems. Then as you climb up you slide up the knot in the rope to the stand. You are locked into that safety rope the whole time all the way up and all the way down.

I've always been attentive to the safety of my hunters because I take so many. But after this injury event with my wife, I realized how really scary things can get in a hurry in the wilderness!

Spend the money and get a great comfortable harness to hunt in the trees!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Amen. The fun of some risks outweigh the danger. Being too lazy to make sure you don't hurt/kill yourself is not one of them.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've used several different kinds and currently run the Summit SOP. Many are good, have him try on a few.

The life lines can be purchased from a several companies on line. I prefer to build them myself with top quality climbing ropes as it's far cheaper when you need several.

Good Luck this season,

loder

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by WPAHunter50
After reading about rock climbing harnesses on Archery Talk a few years ago I decided to try one. Use climbing stands only and attach before leaving the ground. I use a Black Diamond Vario Speed Harness which attaches in the front above the waist. There is no comparison when when test hanging, the rock climbing harness is much more comfortable. In addition in the event of a fall you will be facing the tree making self rescue much easier. There are youtube videos that show how well this works. After trying the rock climbing harness I would never go back to the conventional tree stand harness. As far as ropes I use the standard climbing rope with the prussic knot and it works great.

Facing the tree after you fall does sound like a plus but do you have any issues with those buckles making noise when you're standing or sitting??

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm not familiar with the Black Diamond but my Petzl Corax has zero buckles to make noise. My attachment to the safety line prussic is the same as with any treestand harness it just doesn't come from behind my head.

There are a couple of adjustment buckles on the legs but once adjusted they don't make any noise. Same with waist belt.

W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
If the harness is snug ( as it should be) there is no noise from the buckles at all. Remember to keep your safety line tight enough when in a sitting position that you won't be below the platform in the event of a fall. When you stand to shoot you will have enough slack to shoot to either side of the tree.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,881 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,969
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.