Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 49 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 48 49
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SCRooster
Originally Posted by 4ager
An honest man needs nor is defined by religion or not; he is simply honest regardless of faith or lack thereof.

Honestly is relative. There is no shortage of hypocrites, be they Aetheists or Christians or Buddists or booger eaters. Mendacity is a common malady among our species - some just do it better, or worse, than others. Others still, they justify it for cause or reason.

Honesty has nothing to do with religion but I always get a kick out of the so-called intellectual atheist argument that religion dogma cannot be proved.

Neither can it be proved that there is no higher power or being.

Yet they radical atheist will argue until he or she is blue in the face that his anti-religion religion is superior to those with faith in a higher authority.

That's normally where I just lulz at the atheist and grab some popcorn and sit back and watch the show.

Doing right, doing good ... it's not about religion. Encouraging others to do the same, turning the other cheek, having faith in an unseen guiding entity ... that IS about religion.

In today's world it is much tougher to be one than the other.

I find most atheists to be cowards in real life. Most, not all. I know a few.

Atheists, especially the many radicals who practice that particular religion out there these days ... they feel intellectually superior to Christians, and the militant atheists want war against the Christians ... but they are terrified to speak out against Islam.

Is that honesty within the atheists? Of course not ... it is the epitome of mendacity.

Wow...

That post was like looking at a field of scarecrows...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Many of the response to this thread were just...WOW!

George, RWE, Werner, Eyeball, JGRaider...

Just...WOW!

They are the ones who others referenced as Christians who drive others away.

You misjudge RWE, by a long shot.

Nope. Not 'judging' him. Just his Bullschit posts made here on this thread. Perhaps he didn't express himself or his thoughts accurately?

I suspect that is the case. It's possible he has not thought some of his positions all the way through, and if he had, he would be able to express himself is a more positive light.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Here's your answer, Scott...

👍🏻

laugh

Thumbs up for being honest. Thank you! If only there were a few more on this thread, I could start on the other hand!

laugh laugh laugh

Thank you Sir for the kind words.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The difference between us and other animals is that we have an air of self-importance/superiority and entitlement.

Why, I have NO idea.

You obviously know little of the animal kingdom. I guess you've never heard of the alpha and omega order of nature.

If one believes in intelligent design let's say. Then we evolved from apes or [bleep] or whatever ... lizards, who cares.

We evolved, we learned to reason, but how? It wasn't strictly about eating more protein and enlarging our brains.

We evolved and learned to reason by developing a social pecking order. We learned to recognize members of our evolutionary species according to their individual talents. Some made fire, some hunted, some had intellectual thoughts about stars and the sky. Some learned to communicate and they were probably the first lying politicians.

If you've ever observed a pack of sled dogs for instance ... believe me, there is a pecking order and some believe they are superior to others. I've seen the same traits among chickens, cows, pigs and horses.

So don't kid yourself into believing we are unique as a species when it comes to being haughty and holier than thou.

Ask a sheep if a wolf believes it is superior to the sheep. Ask the wolf the same question.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The difference between us and other animals is that we have an air of self-importance/superiority and entitlement.

Why, I have NO idea.

You obviously know little of the animal kingdom. I guess you've never heard of the alpha and omega order of nature.

If one believes in intelligent design let's say. Then we evolved from apes or [bleep] or whatever ... lizards, who cares.

We evolved, we learned to reason, but how? It wasn't strictly about eating more protein and enlarging our brains.

We evolved and learned to reason by developing a social pecking order. We learned to recognize members of our evolutionary species according to their individual talents. Some made fire, some hunted, some had intellectual thoughts about stars and the sky. Some learned to communicate and they were probably the first lying politicians.

If you've ever observed a pack of sled dogs for instance ... believe me, there is a pecking order and some believe they are superior to others. I've seen the same traits among chickens, cows, pigs and horses.

So don't kid yourself into believing we are unique as a species when it comes to being haughty and holier than thou.

Ask a sheep if a wolf believes it is superior to the sheep. Ask the wolf the same question.

Might making right does not honesty make.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm betting the sheep doesn't think that 'Gee, I believe in Santa Claus, so regardless of the bad wolf, I'm getting a grand reward after the wolf eats me.'

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Just...WOW!

Nope. Not 'judging' him. Just his Bullschit posts made here on this thread. Perhaps he didn't express himself or his thoughts accurately?

He's a sarcastic bastard with a wicked dry sense of humor and a sharp wit, but he is FAR from dishonest and very far from the type of "christian" you make him out to be.

Sean,

I would only say he is dishonest if he tries to tell me his faith is based on facts. He may be be an honest person otherwise (although someone stated that a person is either honest or dishonest religion notwithstanding...now who was that?) wink

Perhaps you misinterpreted my lumping of him in with the others mentioned. That was not to intimate that he was of the same character as the others, only that his posts were of the same quality (and only in regards to this thread).

I don't know any here personally so I can only make inferences from their posts. In that vein, there are few, if any, that deserve to be lumped in with Eyeball, that's for damn sure.

So, no...I wasn't implying he was of the same moral character as any others in that list.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Just...WOW!

I suspect that is the case. It's possible he has not thought some of his positions all the way through, and if he had, he would be able to express himself is a more positive light.

He may not care to espouse his thoughts here, either. I've had MANY conversations with RWE. He's far more than y'all give him credit or take him for. He's thought through it all, many times over; but I've never once known him to claim he has all the answers.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow...

That post was like looking at a field of scarecrows...

Ahhhhhhhhhh ... here we go. They vaguely snippy retort from the self-described intellectually superior atheist who casts all Christians into the ignorant and dishonest category.

Okay, I'm ready. How do you wish to do this? Because your anti-Christian (sic and apropos) argument, up until now, has been boringly predictable.

In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by krp
Words are way overrated trying to prove or disprove God.

Kent

Yep, especially the "truths" that our rights and independence were based on.....

One thing is certain, the wishing in one hand dictum gets no argument from me.

We're [bleep]...good thing we have the semantics to entertain as the ship sinks.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just...WOW!

He's a sarcastic bastard with a wicked dry sense of humor and a sharp wit, but he is FAR from dishonest and very far from the type of "christian" you make him out to be.

Sean,

I would only say he is dishonest if he tries to tell me his faith is based on facts. He may be be an honest person otherwise (although someone stated that a person is either honest or dishonest religion notwithstanding...now who was that?) wink

Perhaps you misinterpreted my lumping of him in with the others mentioned. That was not to intimate that he was of the same character as the others, only that his posts were of the same quality (and only in regards to this thread).

I don't know any here personally so I can only make inferences from their posts. In that vein, there are few, if any, that deserve to be lumped in with Eyeball, that's for damn sure.

So, no...I wasn't implying he was of the same moral character as any others in that list.

I have no idea what you're getting at or why, frankly. Religion and honesty are often mutually exclusive; if not always so. Faith and honesty have nothing in common as one can have one without the other, or both, or neither.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm betting the sheep doesn't think that 'Gee, I believe in Santa Claus, so regardless of the bad wolf, I'm getting a grand reward after the wolf eats me.'

And I'm betting you can't prove that contention.

You have know way of knowing what that sheep or wolf thinks - but thank you for taking the bait.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So far this topic has been mostly debated in a sane and intelligent manor. Please lets not get into a name calling and pissing match.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I have no idea what you're getting at or why, frankly. Religion and honesty are often mutually exclusive; if not always so. Faith and honesty have nothing in common as one can have one without the other, or both, or neither.

4ager, go back and read RWE's posts on this thread. Read them carefully, and then you will understand.

As a stated in the "Jesus Picture" thread, I have no reason to doubt the mans character, but some of his posts on this thread were a little wonky.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F

I can count on one hand (with leftovers) the Christians who have the moral, intellectual and spiritual honesty to say, "I choose to believe this not because of facts or proof but because I want to'. And, again, let me stress...that's ok. However, it leads to at least two questions for me..

One, because it is a matter of pure 'faith' (belief without or in the face of facts) how do you regard your version as any better or 'truer' than another's?

Two, (and this is the big, important one for me) how does your 'faith' then make you a better person? Because most Religious people I've met end up using their beliefs to judge others and make themselves feel superior--sometimes 'innocently' and often maliciously.

In the end, both atheists and Christians have the same evidence for God/gods...none. The Christian chooses to believe anyway and tries to convince you it's fact. The atheists chooses no belief and doesn't try to convince you of anything.

Who's more honest?"

I will be honest with you. I believe in God and Jesus Christ, the Son OF God. Why, because I want to, I made that choice myself without any need for proof. In fact I will go on record as saying not only is their no proof but it may even be a sin to try to find a proof. I believe because I believe and that's all I need.

Just out of curiosity, which finger am I? I won't be upset if you say the middle. grin

Here's your answer, Scott...

👍🏻

laugh

Thumbs up for being honest. Thank you! If only there were a few more on this thread, I could start on the other hand!

Though I have failed a time or two, I do try to be honest but faith, as in the Christian faith, cannot be argued on an Internet forum when "your side" doesn't want to hear anyway. It appears that you've chosen whatever world view you have necessitating denial of a faith that counters it.

The Catch-22 with the Cnristian faith is, if you have it, it is confirmed in you literally by God's Spirit; conversely, by denying or rejecting the Gospel (orthodox Christianity), you become spiritually blind to it and cannot accept it or discern it. So if you won't, don't believe, you can't believe. How then? By earnestly seeking--God draws near to those who search for Him. Christ does not kick the door to your heart down and come in; it is said, "the lock to your heart's door is on the inside."

Assuming for a second or two that my statement above is correct, consider your position-- by your rejection, you risk an eternity of separation from God, and won't even know it (until too late!) affirming yourself in denial. If you are really intellectually honest, you will have to give pause to that thought, do some more studying, research, and questioning.

I'm always open to PMs about this if you are truly open to it because of its importance (an understatement if there ever was one) which is why I posted this, but can carry it no further in this thread.

'Evening gents. 🌅

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

And I'm betting you can't prove that contention.

You have know way of knowing what that sheep or wolf thinks - but thank you for taking the bait.

We can actually establish much about their possible range of thoughts by studying the size and structure of their brains. So we may know more on this subject then you think.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

4ager, go back and read RWE's posts on this thread. Read them carefully, and then you will understand.

As a stated in the "Jesus Picture" thread, I have no reason to doubt the mans character, but some of his posts on this thread were a little wonky.

I don't have to read them; I know the man. This thread is an abortion from the get go, and he's simply casting logs on the fire. I can't blame him.

Really? Debating who is more honest in generalities between one faith and another? You might as well stand there and ask a hooker to measure the respective peckers for all the good it will do.

Think about it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I look at it a little differently.

Christians claim a belief,..or truism, so do atheists. However,no one really 'knows' they are correct...couldn't possibly know.

I'm in the agnostic camp. Personally I hope it's all true, but I have my doubts...as does everyone.

Most honest answer.

Christianity gives rise to great hope and great societies, so it's alright by me. My dad was a Lutheran minister for 48 years.

Ghost,

You don't understand modern atheism. Considering how most ministers intentionally distort atheism, it doesn't surprise me your perception are a little off, so let me clear it up for you.

When a Christian assets a God exists, they are making a positive claim.

The most common form of Atheism, is called "soft atheism", or just Atheism, and does not make any positive claim. The position of the soft Atheist is that NO GOD, OR GODS, HAVE MET THEIR BURDEN OF PROOF. That's it, nothing more.

There are also Anti-theist, which are also called "Hard Atheist", and they do make the positive claim, that there is not God, or Gods.

Another position held by some atheist is that no god or gods have met their burned of proof, and certain god concepts (but not necessarily all of them) can be disproven.

So Atheism is not a monolithic position, there are many variations within it.

You should see how they distort each others denominational beliefs.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I hardly ever reply to these type threads any more cause its usually pointless. All I have to say is honesty is more of a human condition and is very individual. I know just as many Christians that are full of crappie as non believers. But many of the Christians that I know that are really up right before God weren't that way before they became Christians but the ones that are just like every body else were the same before they became christians. I changed a lot,,, then life and bad deeds of people around me made me see that most people aren't worth much and my mercy and compassion tank is now almost bone dry. I am trying to turn that around and not alow that to carry over to everybody. But being less trusting has served me well in the past few years.

I don't really know where I'm going with this, just kinda thinking out loud. I guess I'm just saying I have seen Christianity not change some people and I've seen a huge change in others including myself only to go back and forth with old struggles but never completely turning back to my old ways. As for the PROOF, I don't need it but I got it. When your in a lot of pain and someone prays for you in the name of Jesus and the pain leaves,,, we'll that's proof enuff for me. Nobody can convince me otherwise. A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument. Just sayin, but believe whatever you want I'm not the Holy Spirit jr. or the barney fife or heaven everybody is entitled to live as they see fit. I don't throw rocks cause I live in a glass house. I can't blame someone for believing different than me when they have had a completely different experience. Sorry if some words are not right, auto correct sux and I'm to sleepy to check it. Good night all.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Come on, Sean..

I'm not trying to get at anything. And this thread was never about general honesty among or between religious and non-religious people.

A simple question was asked...is it more honest to affirm that there is no factual evidence for a god or to assert that there is to back up your beliefs.

Pure and simple. Anyone who read more into it than that is too sensitive...

And, yes, I agree with you that honesty has nothing to do with religion or lack thereof (not inherently, anyway).

Last edited by MojoHand; 08/27/15. Reason: Auto correct...of course!

Page 11 of 49 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 48 49

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.