Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 49 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 48 49
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4ager

Might making right does not honesty make.

Posted like a true liberal progressive atheist.

The Internet is teaming with dishonest people hiding behind the guise of anonymity ... posting behind usernames accompanied by avatars and preaching our own special brand of religion.

It is the religion of hubris.

As a religious person who considers myself a Christian (even though my wife would argue that claim at times) I am at least honest enough to accept the need for anonymity in today's world, in some cases ... while often times wishing those who violate the rules of basic human decency be exposed for who, and what, they are.

Yet somehow free speech has been convoluted into being confused with the right to say and do anything while hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet ... even encouraged.

Anyone on the Internet taking a holier than thou position on honesty ... my bet is that they are usually the biggest liars IRL. Oh, and I've been witnessing the devolution of the Internet and its users since the old usenet days ... we've yet to bottom out.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SCRooster

Might making right does not honesty make.

Posted like a true liberal progressive atheist.

The Internet is teaming with dishonest people hiding behind the guise of anonymity ... posting behind usernames accompanied by avatars and preaching our own special brand of religion.

It is the religion of hubris.

As a religious person who considers myself a Christian (even though my wife would argue that claim at times) I am at least honest enough to accept the need for anonymity in today's world, in some cases ... while often times wishing those who violate the rules of basic human decency be exposed for who, and what, they are.

Yet somehow free speech has been convoluted into being confused with the right to say and do anything while hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet ... even encouraged.

Anyone on the Internet taking a holier than thou position on honesty ... my bet is that they are usually the biggest liars IRL. Oh, and I've been witnessing the devolution of the Internet and its users since the old usenet days ... we've yet to bottom out.

You come on with the hierarchy of animals and when called on it because might in that world rules, but might does not make right, you resort to claiming that any that disagree are "progressive liberals"?

Honesty requires not religion, nor vice versa. Might no more makes right now than it did under the Pharaohs or Caesar. That's not progressivism; it's truth. That you can't figure it out, says much.

Carry on, though.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

We can actually establish much about their possible range of thoughts by studying the size and structure of their brains. So we may know more on this subject then you think.

Blah blah blah yada yada yada.

We can't even begin to understand why women are as crazy as they are!

lulz

Anyways, pray tell, who is this "we" you post of?

Are humans superior, intellectually, ethically, morally or spiritually speaking of course, to dolphins and whales?

I absolutely cannot wait for your response.

In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Come on, Sean..

I'm not trying to get at anything. And this thread was never about general honesty among or between religious and non-religious people.

A simple question was asked...is it more honest to affirm that there is no factual evidence for a god or to assert that there is to back up your beliefs.

Pure and simple. Anyone who read more into it than that is too sensitive...

And, yes, I agree with you that honesty has nothing to do with religion or lack thereof (not inherently, anyway).

Religion does not require honesty; it requires faith. They are not mutually exclusive, nor are they mutually required.

You asked a question by stating a premise. You claimed, or asserted, in your question that atheists are more honest than christians and in the phrasing asked that your premise be disproven.

Neither is more or less honest than the other, as a general rule - it comes down to the individual. There is your answer.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

We can actually establish much about their possible range of thoughts by studying the size and structure of their brains. So we may know more on this subject then you think.

lulz

Are humans superior, intellectually, ethically, morally or spiritually speaking of course, to dolphins and whales?

You wouldn't understand or acknowledge a thoughtful or proper response, as is evidenced by your own.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You come on with the hierarchy of animals and when called on it because might in that world rules, but might does not make right, you resort to claiming that any that disagree are "progressive liberals"?

Honesty requires not religion, nor vice versa. Might no more makes right now than it did under the Pharaohs or Caesar. That's not progressivism; it's truth. That you can't figure it out, says much.

Carry on, though.

You illustrate to me, anywhere in this realm, where might does not rule ... with regard to anything. Ants, snakes, dogs, monkeys, viruses, whatever you choose ... and we'll go from there. Okay? Deal?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Carry on, though.

You illustrate to me, anywhere in this realm, where might does not rule ... with regard to anything. Ants, snakes, dogs, monkeys, viruses, whatever you choose ... and we'll go from there. Okay? Deal?

Sure. Jesus Himself bucked the "might making right" rule; He perished at the hands of the Romans, died according to their might, yet rose and claimed victory.

One can also look to Moses leading the Hebrew slaves out of Egypt away from the most powerful empire of the time; the lowest of the low claiming victory from the strongest of the strong.

Might does not make right; and certainly does not make honesty.

If you can't fathom that, then much is lost upon you.

Of course, none of that matters to the context, nor to your red herring posts or inability to form or contain cogent thoughts and an on-point argument, if only further proof of the issue at hand.

Last edited by 4ager; 08/27/15.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You wouldn't understand or acknowledge a thoughtful or proper response, as is evidenced by your own.

So, in other words, you give ... you're saying Uncle, amirite? You are intellectually incapable of answering the simple question.

I thought so.

It always ends this way with atheists.

Dangit ... we're not even going to get into what's beyond the edge of our known universe. I'm so disappointed. No dialogue about where it began or where it ends. No speculation on where it all comes from. None of the good stuff.

I've been a member here for years. I rarely post, but I do a lot of lurking.

So here's a question for all of you atheist hunters in this thread.

When you kill an animal (the act of a successful hunt) ... does it have any specific spiritual, moral or ethical meaning to you? Or is it just you being superior, ending the animal's life and then, if you're up to it, you'll dress the animal out and eat it thus nourishing your body on a molecular level because you are the superior being and your life energy force, or whatever, requires that you supply it with the necessary nutrients broken down through your evolutionary adapted digestive system it in order to maintain your temporary presence on this plane of existence?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Come on, Sean..

I'm not trying to get at anything. And this thread was never about general honesty among or between religious and non-religious people.

A simple question was asked...is it more honest to affirm that there is no factual evidence for a god or to assert that there is to back up your beliefs.

Pure and simple. Anyone who read more into it than that is too sensitive...

And, yes, I agree with you that honesty has nothing to do with religion or lack thereof (not inherently, anyway).

Religion does not require honesty; it requires faith. They are not mutually exclusive, nor are they mutually required.

You asked a question by stating a premise. You claimed, or asserted, in your question that atheists are more honest than christians and in the phrasing asked that your premise be disproven.

Neither is more or less honest than the other, as a general rule - it comes down to the individual. There is your answer.

We agree to agree! Honestly, in a way you're making my point.

I concede that my title could've been more specific. It may have been unintentionally too 'click-bait-ish'. I thought my point (and the specificity of it) was obvious following my conclusions and particularly, the last paragraph. Guess not... blush

Just to be clear to those who didn't get the point...I wasn't claiming Christians are inherently dishonest in all that they do because they're Christians or that Atheists are naturally more honest because of their views.

It was only in regards to the very specific situation described in the OP.

Thanks for your thoughts in this thread and have a good evening.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So, in other words, you give ... you're saying Uncle, amirite? You are intellectually incapable of answering the simple question.

I thought so.

It always ends this way with atheists.

Dangit ... we're not even going to get into what's beyond the edge of our known universe. I'm so disappointed. No dialogue about where it began or where it ends. No speculation on where it all comes from. None of the good stuff.

I've been a member here for years. I rarely post, but I do a lot of lurking.

So here's a question for all of you atheist hunters in this thread.

When you kill an animal (the act of a successful hunt) ... does it have any specific spiritual, moral or ethical meaning to you? Or is it just you being superior, ending the animal's life and then, if you're up to it, you'll dress the animal out and eat it thus nourishing your body on a molecular level because you are the superior being and your life energy force, or whatever, requires that you supply it with the necessary nutrients broken down through your evolutionary adapted digestive system it in order to maintain your temporary presence on this plane of existence?

You can't stay on topic or on point to save you, can you?

When I kill something, it's to protect me and mine, and/or to eat it. Irrelevant to the conversation, as is every other rabbit hole you're trying to go down.

You should go back to rarely posting; an intelligent and coherent discussion - on point and on topic - is clearly beyond your capabilities.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sure. Jesus Himself bucked the "might making right" rule; He perished at the hands of the Romans, died according to their might, yet rose and claimed victory.

One can also look to Moses leading the Hebrew slaves out of Egypt away from the most powerful empire of the time; the lowest of the low claiming victory from the strongest of the strong.

Of course, none of that matters to the context, nor to your red herring posts or inability to form or contain cogent thoughts and an on-point argument, if only further proof of the issue at hand.

OH PUH-LEAZE!

lulz

Are you seriously ... no, wait, errrrr, no you di'int just try to quote Old Testament to prove your claim of "might does not make right" ... did you?

Do I really need to tell you the story of the exodus?

Oh my gosh ... I wish I still smoked grass like I did back in the 70s. I'd go hit a bowl right now and have a blast with this thread.

Where did the OP run off to anyways?

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

4ager, go back and read RWE's posts on this thread. Read them carefully, and then you will understand.

As a stated in the "Jesus Picture" thread, I have no reason to doubt the mans character, but some of his posts on this thread were a little wonky.

Wonky? this from the self proclaimed 'great debater' who's debating style is projectionism and logical fallacy.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

OH PUH-LEAZE!

lulz

Are you seriously ... no, wait, errrrr, no you di'int just try to quote Old Testament to prove your claim of "might does not make right" ... did you?

Do I really need to tell you the story of the exodus?

Oh my gosh ... I wish I still smoked grass like I did back in the 70s. I'd go hit a bowl right now and have a blast with this thread.

Where did the OP run off to anyways?

So, your response is to make fun of the Biblical stories of the weak overcoming the strong, and claim that any citing such things as evidence of might not making right are on drugs?

That's quite "christian" of you.

Please... carry on.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Move to Oregon, Washington, or Colorado. Better yet, spend some time in prayer then stop and listen real hard.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by krp

4ager, go back and read RWE's posts on this thread. Read them carefully, and then you will understand.

As a stated in the "Jesus Picture" thread, I have no reason to doubt the mans character, but some of his posts on this thread were a little wonky.

Wonky? this from the self proclaimed 'great debater' who's debating style is projectionism and logical fallacy.

Kent

Ol Antelope is a believer in the making, or at least I hope so. I give him a hard time, although I shouldn't. He just can't see the forest for the trees. wink

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The Holy Spirit is working through him... and he's as judgmental as a bible thumper...

Kent

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

lulz

Wow, what an adult way to begin your post. Regardless, I'll provide you an answer.

If you compare the Encephalization Quotient between the above mentioned species, humans by far, have the highest.

Human: 7.44
Dolphin: 5.31
whales: 1.76.

So yes, by that measure, we are intellectually superior. In addition, we are better able to use that intellect since we have opposable thumbs.
Since ethics, morality, and spirituality are derived from out intellect, it's likely we are superior in these area's as well.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Ol Antelope is a believer in the making, or at least I hope so. I give him a hard time, although I shouldn't. He just can't see the forest for the trees. wink

Come on Wilkes. Give us a good logical argument.

I would hope you have one in there someplace.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can't stay on topic or on point to save you, can you?

When I kill something, it's to protect me and mine, and/or to eat it. Irrelevant to the conversation, as is every other rabbit hole you're trying to go down.

You should go back to rarely posting; an intelligent and coherent discussion - on point and on topic - is clearly beyond your capabilities.

I'm staying on topic ... but in the process I'm easily slapping you out of your anti-Christian atheist pigeon hole.

Your answer just proved my point.

Your disrespect of the life you take ... it proves my point and illustrates the difference between believers, of all kinds, and you atheists.

You have no respect for life ... yet you claim yourself to be morally and ethically superior, "more honest" if you will. That is the special hypocrisy of you atheists.

Yet we believers ... believers in whatever and for whatever reason, we believe, we have faith, that inside every body, every temple, dwells a soul. Christians and Buddhists in particular - we believe even animals have souls.

The belief has evolved over the years but it exists, and for good reason.

Now, if you are so shallow as to believe yourself so intellectually superior, (which you obviously are not), as to have my very simple analogies fly over your head ... that's fine. I get it - I see it all the time in you atheists. I stated it from the very get-go. But do yourself a favor, don't try to baffle me with your "stay on topic" bravo sierra.

You kill your prey without honor of any sort. You do not even respect the life you are taking, the light your are extinguishing, which allows you to extend the life of you and yours.

Now, understand the Etymology of the word "honesty" ... the genesis of this thread. It's early 14th century French meaning, to have honor, to be an honorable person.

Yet you atheists cannot even honor a life? It is meaningless to you on all levels. We have no souls according to you people and you are never even willing to enter into the possibilities that something beyond us, something higher than us, exists ... because it is beyond your capabilities.

My point is proven.

Now, if you would really like to have an honest discussion about honor and integrity and religion ... let me know. We'll start over without your preconceived notions that Christians, or any religious order for that matter, is comprised of dishonest followers based purely upon their belief systems that there is a higher power or that this prophet or that existed or did not exist.

Or you may continue to play your atheist word games and I'll simply ignore you because there is one rule that my grandpappy taught me long ago ... "Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. —Proverbs 26:4"

And again I'll state, I am not a fan of organized religion ... but since my wife and children, my sisters and brothers, my parents and ancestors are - I am a fan of defending their honor.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
MojoHand;
Good evening to you sir, I trust this finds you well and keeping well away from the fires and smoke.

If I may, I've got a question for you since it appears to me there's a category of folks that have been omitted.

Where or how do you or the author classify people who have had experiences in their lives that cannot be explained by science or logic?

We can call them "supernatural" or "miracles" or simply leave the experiences as unexplained - but where will we put those folks?

I'm cognizant that my experiences are not yours as yours are not my own and neither one of us can truly understand or perhaps even empathize with someone else whose life experience is vastly different from our own.

But supposing there are people out there who have had such things happen to them that cannot be explained - would it be acceptable for those individuals to believe in "something more" than we can see, feel, touch or explain with currently understood science?

Just curious is all sir.

As I age I'm increasingly leery of anyone who says, "these people" are "always that way" and this is why - if you know what I mean?

All the best to you in the remaining fleeting days of summer sir and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

I have always loved your humility and thoughtful posts and you ask a legitimate question.

Many people have experiences they can't 'explain' but often they are not fully investigated. In addition, as AS asked, why does it have to be the work of that particular person's particular God? This goes to the point in the OP that if faith is truly faith (no facts and provable evidence to back it up), then how does any 'believer' (no matter their religion/creed) tout their experiences over another? If one wishes to attribute the unexplained to the metaphysical or supernatural, shouldn't they should allow for the possibility it might not be their version of the supernatural?

You ask if it's acceptable for someone to believe in 'something more' than science can currently explain...I say, absolutely. Just please admit that is a choice not based on fact but belief.

I enjoy your posts, Dwayne, and wish you and your family the best this hunting season up in the Nothwoods!

MojoHand;
Thanks to both you and Antelope Sniper for the thoughtful replies, I appreciate the tone and the effort put into them. Well done gentlemen. I appreciate the kinds words too and will endeavor to deserve them in future posts.

As you both might or may not know about me, I was/am the recipient of an unexplained happening such as I eluded to.

Without rehashing the entire episode it was catastrophic enough that my family was called in to watch me die as the best medical minds there apparently felt I had less than favorable odds.

Anyway the over riding emotion for me was a profound sense of indebtedness. I felt that if whatever it was through unexplained means allowed me to continue on - then I was supposed to do something to deserve that.

That feeling was made even keener a few years later when my best friend died in a car crash of injuries that were less severe than mine.

After much soul searching and wandering down wrong paths - for me - I turned to what I'll freely admit I believe is the right one - again for me.

Please note that I believe this faith in a supreme being makes me no better or worse than any other human here on this earth. Frankly I'm puzzled at folks who believe that way - but again it is just as much their right to believe that I suppose as it is mine to respectfully disagree.

Lastly, the faith placed may indeed lead to nothing beyond what I know on this mortal coil - but the benefit for me here and now is that it gives me a ration of daily peace which I didn't have previously.

I apologize to you both that this is a rather incoherent rambling when I read it back - but I felt your replies to me deserved a response and have attempted to articulate one.

Thanks again, all the best to you both and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

PS;
There are more quail here than we've seen in years and the mulies are both getting their winter coats and starting to rub their velvet already - about 10-12 days early for here.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 12 of 49 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 48 49

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,433 guests, and 797 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,574
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.