Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
bangeye Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Seems here on the fire we have several threads discussing the value lines of rifles such as the RAR, the savages, the tikkas and how for their reasonable prices they seem to shoot with more expensive offerings. How about knives? In this day of having to have a custom knife made of exotic steel forged by elves , let's hear about some of your trusty old $20 knifes that has served you well in the field.

I have a old western folder made with I'm sure 440A stainless that has served me well and dressed and skinned multiple deer. I also have a couple of colt branded fixed blades made in China that cost probably $25 or less that get shaving sharp and are good for a couple of deer before needing re sharpened and that s usually a few licks on a steel. Moras are another. I could go on but let's hear about your $20 favorites.

Last edited by bangeye; 08/26/15.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the first 25 years of my career as a wildlife biologist, I used a Buck 110 folder for everything in the field. When we went into the lab, I used commercial butchering knives and scalpels to do necropsies, but that 110 was the only knife in my pocket or on my belt until it disappeared from my luggage at the airport in Kodiak, AK. I keep thinking that I will buy another, but I just can't believe that it would be the same...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The only knife in that price range that I still own and use on occasion is a Camillus version of a KaBar. I think it was the first knife I purchased with lawn mowing money a long time ago. It holds an edge pretty well.

I have what I'd consider cheap knives but the only ones that seem like they're a good value were older Kershaws and a couple Gerber Pro-series in ATS34.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My favorite fixed blade is a Kissing Crane Medium Hunter with Yellow Delrin handles. Im pretty sure its made in China, and its probably 440A...but its a damn nice little knife thats skinned more than a couple of deer. I wouldnt mind finding an original Kissing Crane in that pattern, but for now it works great..I think I paid 25 for it.

Another very handy knife that I keep close is the Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife...I think these are about 15 bucks. Its definitely not a Grohmann, but its pretty solid.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Vicky Parer is the first thing that comes to mind. Under $5

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/vic...ing&gclid=CLzIx_uVyccCFUgWHwodNfcLAg

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mudhen
For the first 25 years of my career as a wildlife biologist, I used a Buck 110 folder for everything in the field. When we went into the lab, I used commercial butchering knives and scalpels to do necropsies, but that 110 was the only knife in my pocket or on my belt until it disappeared from my luggage at the airport in Kodiak, AK. I keep thinking that I will buy another, but I just can't believe that it would be the same...
Buy the Cabelas branded one with S30V steel. Better than the original IMO...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Processing a deer is not that demanding of a job for a knife. The 4 deer I killed last year were all taken from field to table with a Case trapper and a couple of cheap fillet knives. I could easily put venison in the freezer for the rest of my life with a Mora number one ($15) a Rapala fillet knife ($15), and a soft Arkansas stone....I'll splurge and spend $30 to get one from Dan's. That's $60 and I am set with totally adequate tools.

Compared to custom knives "made with exotic steel forged by elves" laugh , that cost hundreds of dollars, anything that can be had from Case or Buck for somewhere around a $50 price point that fits your hand and tastes is a tremendous value. Any of them will gut and skin a lifetime's worth of deer, and give you a little pride of ownership....They were what was desirable in the 70's when I was a kid and I still consider them to be "nice".

Last edited by RJY66; 08/26/15.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have 3 110 Bucks. My oldest one is the year they came out or thereabouts. I can't help myself if I see a good deal on one as they have been my go to knife for all these years. My original one has skinned so many deer over the years and been sharpened that the blade is pretty much worn down and I should have it replaced but its to sentimental to me to take a chance to send it away.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And if you watch the sales, you can sometimes pick up a 110 for $25-$30.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As mentioned already I have to go with the Mora line of knives. They are very affordable and take an edge very well. I always seem to have one in my pack, garage, tackle box etc.
My daughters first fixed blade was the Mora scout model and she still uses it. She was actually trying to carve a spoon with it two days ago.
I also bought two more and gave them to a couple of kids I know when they first got their hunting licenses a few years back.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a big fan of the Buck 110.
My father gave me one prior to my first big game hunt. Down through the years I have acquired and used many more expensive and exotic knives.
Nowdays I've pretty much come full circle and that 35 year old 110 goes hunting again. It's not only for sentimental reasons - the 110 is still up to the task.
For the money I don't think there is a better value on the market.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Here's a couple or three 'utility' knives I use every yr. None are HI dollar but dependable and I've been using the Remington drop point/gut hook since 1995. Don't remember where I got it, but less than $50. ( I think I got it from Smokey Mtn Knife Works)
[Linked Image]

This is a 'Bear Paw' multi tool 'type'. I keep this one in my back pack. I like drop points except when skinning. This one skins very well. I use gut hooks every time. This B P also has a bone saw that will cut wood.
[Linked Image]

This is a 'cheap' $30. Winchester brand stick knife I got from Wally W. Can't find one now. It's sharp and holds an edge but not TOO hard to resharpen. For an inexpensive knife, I really like this one.
[Linked Image]

Jerry

ps - You can see I USE these knives. They aren't show ponies.

Last edited by jwall; 08/27/15.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
umm...speaking of 'show pony' !!

In the words of Crocodile Dundee,
"Now that's a knife!"

[Linked Image]

laugh laugh

This Bowie is 15 1/4" long, w/D handle,& burnt stag horn. smile

I don't know what I'm going to do with it but.... grin
I always wanted something similar. Right out of the box it "SHAVES".

I haven't had it long enuff to test the quality but it is 440 SS and if it doesn't cut well, I can always use it as a 'hammer'. grin

Jerry

ps - I'm just having fun today.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Puma SGB. Great stuff.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
None of my knives cost $20 or less.

My pocket knife is a Case Russlock, my hunting folder is a Case XX-Changer. Next is a Knives of Alaska Light Hunter, a couple of Ingrams & a very nice Levengood.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Dude270
Vicky Parer is the first thing that comes to mind. Under $5

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/vic...ing&gclid=CLzIx_uVyccCFUgWHwodNfcLAg

If there is more cut/$ out there, I'm not aware of it. I love my customs, but I use the [bleep] out of my vickies. Which reminds me... I need another handful.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Biggest waste of money I've ever spent is on custom knives. I probably couldn't find them if I tried as they are scattered all over the house. A few vicky parers and a havalon gets it done for me. I should probably trip the ingrams I have.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Calvin
Biggest waste of money I've ever spent is on custom knives. I probably couldn't find them if I tried as they are scattered all over the house. A few vicky parers and a havalon gets it done for me. I should probably trip the ingrams I have.

About all I use, plus a case or an old timer folder.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
A Buck 110 and Case Trapper my grandpaw gave me have been getting it done as long as I can remember.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
New - Buck Bucklite Max 486

New - Gerber Paraframe 1

New - Opinel #8 or #9 stainless

New - Victorinox 4" serrated paring

Used - Buck 442

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (444Matt, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 20 invisible), 1,769 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,182
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.