Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I don't know if the Cray super-computers are still with us or not. but, thanks to the high Priests at NASA providing us with a global view of our Earth, we can see we're trapped in a terrarium of sorts.

I don't know if we're changing the climate or not. but, some say the weight (density) of the mega-cities are having an influence on the tectonic plates and their pressure on the magma. I don't know.

it's not inconceivable that all the automobile exhausts, and industrial outputs globally are having an impact. just how much of an impact I have no clue. but I'm not blind either.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How much of that exhaust is blocking the sun's energy from reaching the earth and actually reducing the amount of warming that we'd have without it?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Here's an easy way to visualize it. You have a 10 gal block of ice floating in the sea. 9 gal of it are below the surface and 1 gal is above. When the block melts, it becomes more dense and the 10 gal of ice is now the size of 9 gal of sea water - which exactly fills the hole in the water made by the block of ice.

That was my mistake. The 10 gal block of ice (which is 9 gal of water when thawed) won't displace 9 gallons of sea water. It would displace as much sea water as weighs the same as 9 gal of fresh water.

Sea water is about 2% denser than fresh water. So your 10 gallon ice would displace 8.82 gallons of seawater. When it thaws, it would mix with the 9 gallons of seawater to make 18 gallons.

Last edited by Calhoun; 08/27/15.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
How much of that exhaust is blocking the sun's energy from reaching the earth and actually reducing the amount of warming that we'd have without it?

there's some counter-balancing impacts going on, but I don't even know if the atmospheric chemists can successfully model it all or not. it's doubtful that they can, but they can provide important insights.

(did you catch the sales pitch for more research is needed)?

I can't believe all the emissions doesn't have some degree of impact. and then add the random, chaotic, and unscheduled releases of gases from volcanoes and the plot thickens. It thickens even more with the annual behavior of the sun.

personally I believe we have created a witches brew of sorts with all the chemical that post-modern humans are releasing into the atmosphere. but it all might counter-balance each other. I do not know.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The big issue is how much money someone can make by convincing people that it's harmful.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Actually I'm wrong and Steelhead is right (no shocker there). I knew I was missing something.

A freshwater iceberg will displace the equivalent mass of seawater when floating - but when the iceberg melts the volume of the water in the iceberg is added to the volume of the seawater - so it ends up in a net sea level rise.

Mass versus mass for displacement with solid masses and water, but volume plus volume for water added to water. Since seawater is denser than fresh water, the iceberg displaces less seawater than equivalent volumes of freshwater and seawater would make up.

Never doubt a coastie when he talks water. grin

Eureka!

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reloder28
In the beginning, God set the limits of the waters so they would not transgress their boundaries. Don't reckon that'll change until He decides different.

laugh

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Water is most dense at 4*C (39.2*F).

Density decreases at temps warmer than 4C and at temps colder than 4C.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Remember this?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Water is most dense at 4*C (39.2*F).

Density decreases at temps warmer than 4C and at temps colder than 4C.

How does salt effect that? I know salt water freezes at a lower temperature, and I believe it boils at a higher temperature.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good question. Had to go to Google. wink

Pure water freezes at 0 °C and boils at 100 °C (212 °F) under normal pressure conditions. When salt is added, the freezing point is lowered and the boiling point is raised. The addition of salt also lowers the temperature of maximum density below that of pure water (4 °C [39.2 °F]). The temperature of maximum density decreases faster than the freezing point as salt is added.

http://www.britannica.com/science/seawater

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Just as water doesn't conduct electricity.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sea level rise over the period of record has virtually nothing to do with melting ice on land surfaces. The melting and freezing cycle of sea ice is a net zero calculation in this context.

Ocean water temperatures have risen over the last century or so and when you warm water it expands. That is the cause of about 90% of sea level rise.

And I think Al Gore is an idiot.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Remember this?

I do remember that! eek

your son and daughter should adapt fine

you and I are F'ed, unless we drink a whole lot more beer and increase our flotation capabilities! whistle

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well....if that's what we must do.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Just as water doesn't conduct electricity.

Now that one I already knew.. though it's better to keep the uninformed alive by saying that "pure" water doesn't conduct electricity. Any water found outside of a laboratory is going to conduct electricity quite well.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We should ask the "scientist" who are advocating for global warming how much the sea levels are going to rise each year for the next 100 years. They should be able to give us that info and it will be correct because global warming is settled science isn't it?

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They don't know. History is a definitive record, forecasts are speculation. Forecasts from NOAH and USGS for my back yard over the next 100 years range from 0-6'. The rise since they began paying attention (over 100 years) has averaged 1.8 mm/year...in my back yard. Tampa is a bit higher at 2.0 mm/yr but it is thought that subsidence is at play to some degree. Our single-wides are not as heavy as their concrete skyline?

I WGAF in 100 years.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just wish it would hurry up (I'm not getting any younger) and get here (the rising sea levels). Saw a map that predicted most of La. would be underwater and it was very likely I would have some oceanfront property.

Come on global warming!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There will be some bodacious snapper fishing amongst the high rise reefs in south Floriduh.

I am..........disturbed.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 65 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.