-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's one held every month at NRA's Whittington Center which will expose posers...

I attend regularly.

wink

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll cover the hotel accommodations if we can get John Burns in the mix.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I might even pay (at least for gas to get there) to see a shoot-off between Rick, Boxer and Formid. It would be especially interesting if at least one phase required 6-18 Leupolds.

How about a phase where 6x was max magnification, whatever the scope?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
JG,

That is not a failure. When Leupolds do it, and they do, it is not a failure. Every single scope, from every company can and will have dust that can accumulate on the glass. There is grease in the tube to hold it and he could have smacked it on a book and it would have fixed the issue, as that's more than likely what NF did.....

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
I might even pay (at least for gas to get there) to see a shoot-off between Rick, Boxer and Formid. It would be especially interesting if at least one phase required 6-18 Leupolds.

Hilarious. You should show up too.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by mathman

Hilarious. You should show up too.

I figured that would be your response. But I never claimed 6x was "the best" for your kind of match, or that I was a long range match shooter either.

If we have a "6x beef" it's because you made some pretty strong statements about what couldn't be done with one even at short range, and I simply know better from experience.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I had more problems with Leupold 8.5X20 LRT than my Leupolds 6X18. That's why I sold all my 8.5X25 LRT and bought Nightforce scopes. BTW I have 13 6X18's not one back to the factory, I have the some of the first ones they made and I also have the newer CDS dial ones.

Last edited by gemby58; 08/25/15.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I would pay $100 and drive to some neutral state in a Ford pinto to see the "event". Pinto's never had problems either, great cars.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

any one there use the L 6-18?

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Ol' hole in the horn Camuglia kicked some arse! smile

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I would pay $100 and drive to some neutral state in a Ford pinto to see the "event". Pinto's never had problems either, great cars.

LMAO. Did you hear the one about the Pinto that hit the guy on a bicycle? Guy on the bike rode off, didn't even stop to help.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boxer
I've [bleep] Reupie 6-18's for a looonnngggggggg while.

Mainly because they are USELESS pieces of schit,that only satiate THE most fhuqking STUPID Kchuntsumer(s).

Their "tracking" is a fhuqking joke,their subtention follows suit(schit reticles),POA/POI shifts like a dog taking a schit,the erector "travel" is embarassing and they are incapable of holding a zero.

Just for starters.

Hint.

(Addendum...for THE Clueless Kchunt)

'Lia,

Oh myyyyyyyyyyy that is compelling "testimony". Laffin'!

Kudos for really flogging on said glass. Laffin'! You godaaamanned nearly shifted "power" and almost fhuqking nearly,shook the reticle out. Laffin'!!

You really get after it!

Wow!

Well, good day there Boxer. How are you this bright, shiny morn?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm curious if there are bending or torsional modes that cause failures with the Leupo 6-18x under 'typical' mounting and excitation conditions, but not in certain other conditions crazy

In other words...

Let's say that Ric's scopes are mounted in such a way that these bending and torsional modes do not stress the scope to the point of failure. Certainly this would make him think the Leupo 6-18x is just fine and dandy. Whereas others have the same scope mounted differently (typical) and with a rifle exhibiting different whole-body recoil characteristics which create different bending and torsional modes... and ultimate failure of the erector system. Note that by "mounted differently" I don't mean inadequate or inferior.

The Leupold 6-18x appears to have a reputation for not being durable in terms of zero retention or repeatability. I've heard this from others besides Formi and Boxer. Any scope could fail, and 603C had one that did. It's anecdotal evidence, but I admit that its created a bias in my mind against the 6-18x since I've heard it from several different sources.

Conversely, there seems to be certain scopes where it appears rare that failures occur in comparison. But regarding the Leupo 6-18x, it seems suspicious that it has the reputation that it does which would lead one to believe that durability depends on response to excitation. Make sense?

All that to say... if a scope only survives under certain "ideal" conditions, it might be best to heed anecdotal evidence that seems to point to the fact that failure is a definite possibility grin

J

Last edited by 4th_point; 08/26/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Along those lines, I'd be interested in instrumenting and analyzing different rifle/scope combos to see if we can actually learn something regarding the bending and torsional modes. I don't know much about this stuff, but have a basic understanding which might help confirm or deny the anecdotal observations.

In the interest of full disclosure, I suspect that the Leupo 6-18x doesn't hold up well. Whether this is due to OAL, erector spring design, maintube thickness, mounting conditions, or excitation, I have no clue.

I have the means to collect objective data for a correlation experiment to support or refute the anecdotal evidence, based on the modes. We just need the specimens.

Last edited by 4th_point; 08/26/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Ol' hole in the horn Camuglia kicked some arse! smile

That is pretty much par for that course. Rick has shown time and again that he can shoot, clays or LR. cool

Originally Posted by David_Walter
I'll cover the hotel accommodations if we can get John Burns in the mix.

How about the booze?? laugh

You guys got me log back in for this???

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I'm curious if there are bending or torsional modes that cause failures with the Leupo 6-18x under 'typical' mounting and excitation conditions, but not in certain other conditions crazy

In other words...

Let's say that Ric's scopes are mounted in such a way that these bending and torsional modes do not stress the scope to the point of failure. Certainly this would make him think the Leupo 6-18x is just fine and dandy. Whereas others have the same scope mounted differently (typical) and with a rifle exhibiting different whole-body recoil characteristics which create different bending and torsional modes... and ultimate failure of the erector system. Note that by "mounted differently" I don't mean inadequate or inferior.

The Leupold 6-18x appears to have a reputation for not being durable in terms of zero retention or repeatability. I've heard this from others besides Formi and Boxer. Any scope could fail, and 603C had one that did. It's anecdotal evidence, but I admit that its created a bias in my mind against the 6-18x since I've heard it from several different sources.

Conversely, there seems to be certain scopes where it appears rare that failures occur in comparison. But regarding the Leupo 6-18x, it seems suspicious that it has the reputation that it does which would lead one to believe that durability depends on response to excitation. Make sense?

All that to say... if a scope only survives under certain "ideal" conditions, it might be best to heed anecdotal evidence that seems to point to the fact that failure is a definite possibility grin

J

This is what comes from using your scope as a carry handle....

David

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I missed that thread but will need to check it out grin

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Seafire
Got a 4 x 16 Tasco on top of one of my 223s....

Its had at least 3,000 rounds fired from underneath it...
and it still works fine...

I must be lucky, we all knowing how Tascos just won't hold up at all....

I have a 3X9 Tasco from the 70's, no telling how many rounds and whitetails, super clear glass! Ive photo somewhere! I understand the later ones were cheapened up and trouble! This one is bullet proof, I loaned the rig to a BIL 15 years ago and I check it each deer season, dead nuts and the azz hole uses it as a handle 99% of the time!!! v best WinPoor
I wish I had 5 of em ,just like it! Came on a super accurate 30-06 Weatherby that I hunted 30 years! Its still pilling em up!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Let's say that Ric's scopes are mounted in such a way that these bending and torsional modes do not stress the scope to the point of failure.

They've been on and off of a few rifles. .243 WSSM, .17 HMR, .223 Rem, 7mm Weatherby, but most rounds have been fired with a .300 WM underneath. All mounted in Leupold rings and bases. If they can take that licking and keep on ticking...

Originally Posted by JohnBurns

How about the booze?? laugh

You guys got me log back in for this???

Then 'flave would crash the party laugh

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,768 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.