-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Have been trying to post on Calguns.net but website is down and I can't connect, so I'll ask here.

Making a run to CA next month to see some family. One of the things they like to do is go to a gun range for a half day and burn some powder.

I have an SKS I would like to take, as they don't generally get to play around with Evil Dangerous weapons living in Komifornustan.

The SKS is as issued with bayonet and fixed magazine.

I'm getting conflicting results on the web as to whether it's legal or not. Seems to be tons of regulations just to cause grey areas where by they can give you a ticket for something.

There would be no transfer of ownership, just possession by me(a non Californian) for a week or so.

Do any of you CA folks know for sure whether I'd be within or outside of the law?

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You'll need a magazine lock (bullet buttom) and 10 round mag.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Not sure how a bullet button fits on a fixed SKS magazine...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I would not risk it, even if totally legal and you run into an idiot, it could make for a long weekend....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
California is a foreign country now. Much of what you know doesn't apply anymore.

Last edited by 21; 08/27/15.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Deerwacker, so long as you've never modified it to take aftermarket high capacity mags I would "think" that with the standard 10 round fixed mag, you would not run into magazine issues. I have no idea on the bayonet in CA.

Of course, as mentioned above CA is like a foreign country when it comes to guns, so I'm not really certain.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
..I would "think"..in CA.

Those 2 words don't belong in the same paragraph.

Looking thru CA's regs they have published,..you talk about a Hodge Podge of Gobbledegook.! A gigantic collection of "feel good" regs that have nothing to do with the lethality of individual weapons. I'm certain LEO's in CA don't know all the regs about whats legal and what's not. I have a feeling they would arrest you on the spot and hold you until they found something in the CA gun laws to get you on.

My kin would surely get a kick out of shooting something different but I probably won't risk it, don't want to end up in Chino because the front sight is fiber optic an not as issued...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
That! no way in hell I"d risk it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Logic and common sense do not apply. I wouldn't take the risk.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
..I would "think"..in CA.

Those 2 words don't belong in the same paragraph.

Looking thru CA's regs they have published,..you talk about a Hodge Podge of Gobbledegook.! A gigantic collection of "feel good" regs that have nothing to do with the lethality of individual weapons. I'm certain LEO's in CA don't know all the regs about whats legal and what's not. I have a feeling they would arrest you on the spot and hold you until they found something in the CA gun laws to get you on.

My kin would surely get a kick out of shooting something different but I probably won't risk it, don't want to end up in Chino because the front sight is fiber optic an not as issued...

DW, there have been many cases in CA where a gun owner was arrested for a completely legal firearm just because the officers involved were unable to understand the CA laws.

In this case you are probably right. Discretion is the better part of valor. They can shoot it when they come see you.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F that. Not worth it.

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think you should definitely do it.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I live in Kalifornia. Good luck.
At one time, no one was allowed to own any SKS rifles. Those who had them were required to sell them out of state when that law passed. I understand the law met with alot of "non-compliance." Some counties even declared publicly that they would not enforce the new law. That went over big.
Nowadays, the laws have changed. But I'm not sure where the fixed magazine SKS's stand. We can, however once again, own and even hunt with an AR-15 if it has a "bullet button" magazine release. Those that own AR-15's with the when purchased legal magazine releases, the last I heard, can't even plink with them on public land, or hunt with them. They can only fire them at formal target ranges.
Yes, alot of cops aren't sure of the laws. Some jurisdictions, like San Francisco, confiscate guns even when legally pocessed. Show up in SF with a gun concealed and your proper CCW license, they, I'm told they will seize them. Or at least some of their cops will. You won't get your gun back if you sue them either. You might get market value for it, but not the gun......
Confusing ? Even my CCW insructor can't kept them straight. My favorite gun store can't either.
Bring something else to shoot. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about if you claim asylum in San Fran, can you keep your gun then??

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Here you go.
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

All they are doing here is removing the grenade launchers.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1103310

There are at least 3 SKS and 3 AK's, all variants that show up at our monthly C&R shoots.
One of our guys who is an 01 FFL brings suppressed rifles out now and then. He made sure the RO's were good with it and the line totake a turn was 15 deep.

Buncha sissies. Our cops don't have xray vision and I have never seen any leos at club ranges. USFS will check for 10 round mag compliance but most of the forest and blm land is closed to shooting. At least the parts that haven't burned.
What part California are you coming to?

Last edited by smarquez; 08/29/15.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Yes, which part. I know the San Jose Police Dept. used to send cops to the ranges to check for illegal guns. E

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I think I would just do what I wanted to do, and not post about it online. smile

Sam......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

719 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,144
Posts18,464,952
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.