Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Reports coming in saying a big herd coming from Canada. So to all you 40 mile hunters good luck be safe.. I never partook in the 40 mile hunt up by chicken cause of all the crazy ass stories I heard over the years.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
remember the wise words of lil John and the Eastside boyz

"get low, get low, get low"

and stay low

incoming!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Climb to a rise overlooking a valley in the dark prior to sunrise on opening morning, check.

Wait anxiously with a hot cup of coffee for enough light to make out the valley floor and the far hillside, check.

Realize that the opposite side of the hill has a dozen or more hunters on it who are looking directly at you across the valley, check.

Wonder how in the hell you ended up in such a friggin stupid situation as you get the EFF outta dodge. Check.

You sure need to keep your head on a swivel in that country. I'll go back someday, but it will be a couple days early and I'll head deep into the hills to avoid the fluster cuck.

Eat moose, burn spruce
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I know a fella that was invited to go up to chicken a few yrs back on the infamous 40 mile fall hunt. He got his bull but the rest of the people in his group ran out of bullets shooting at bou 600yds out cant remember if they hit anything. So he heads down to get his bou and I guess a group of bou came out and he said bullets whizzing over his head, said he thought he was back in Iraq he hit the ground and waited it out. I don't need that much excitement..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
if they can't hit something as big as a caribou at 600 yards, they need to not only learn to shoot but learn some disicpline.

I really want to do a fly out for the 40 mile herd one of these days. Hope that cuts the numbers of folks down.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

B
BFD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Just curious but is blaze orange required for hunting in Alaska? Sounds like it might be a good idea at least in some places.

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BFD
Just curious but is blaze orange required for hunting in Alaska? Sounds like it might be a good idea at least in some places.

Nope state encourages you to wear it but not required by law.. We don't need NO stinking lower 48 hunter orange laws in AK smile

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not required in the hunts I've done.

Blaze doesn't really matter to game anyway, so wearing it is no big deal.

We rarely ever wear camo anymore unless its the best clothing that comes only in camo.

Typically wear blaze orange head gear to be on the safe side.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i highly recommend wearing blaze orange from head to toe and do not go into the brush. The Cjicken trail is probably the most dangerous place to hunt in Alaska.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I already know where I'm going on my next 40 mile caribou hunt, right down to the lookout and one of the 3 campsites nearby, depending on the weather. One of the campites being the exposed lookout itself, but only 100 yards from timber (the other two potential camp sites within a few hundred yards and with storm protection). Water is a bit scarcer - maybe only alpine sumpholes or in really dry weather a quarter mile to a stream. if it rains, pure tarp runoff is right in any camp. An "easy" 6 mile alpine hike from the truck - only one little 600 foot high hill to cross, and it's a pretty gentle climb, steeper on the truck side.

No Atv allowed, so a a little distance really cuts the hunter herd down - doubt any company besides us. Besides, the spot is a funnel , with all those roadies pushing stuff my way. smile. I'm looking forward to it already and it won't be earlier than next year earliest. I love that place!

Last edited by las; 08/30/15.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Your 600' hill is pretty exciting to be atop when a thundercloud blows over. And your hike in can be a bit wet and soft. Awesome place though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm scouring Google earth now for the lat/long....I'll be there waiting for you with a cold beer... smile

Eat moose, burn spruce
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dang, sounds like Arizona public land hunting!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,737 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,610
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.