Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a Shilen trigger for a Remington 700. I'm a little perplexed. It seems the Remington safety pivot pin seems too short for the safety snap washer to sit into the pin correctly with the Shilen trigger. (not so with the Remington trigger.) I can't get the washer to slip into the groove on the pin.
Since the Shilen trigger was bought second hand, I wonder if there should have been a hair longer pivot pin.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how did you resolve the issue. I've sold my lathes or I might have been tempted too widen the groove.
Thanks for any constructive responses.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That's why I buy Timney. The safety is already mounted.

I'd call Shilen.

DF

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
That's why I buy Timney.

Ditto, Timney or Jewell - call Shilen.....

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Never had a problem. I'm assuming you ain't trying to switch a safety from an X-Mark Pro.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I can't for the life of me figure out why Shilen doesn't include the safety on their trigger. The only safety that works is the old style, and 95% of the triggers that they're replacing are X Mark Pro so the owner has to order an old style safety in addition to the trigger and put it together.

It's stupid.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
HEY!
Guess what! Shilen does offer the safety and bolt release! Quit jumping to conclusions. Some of us like to save money and transfer the parts. The OP is probably running into the same thing a lot of folks do, It is a pain in the A$$ to install the clip.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
HEY!
Guess what! Shilen does offer the safety and bolt release! Quit jumping to conclusions. Some of us like to save money and transfer the parts. The OP is probably running into the same thing a lot of folks do, It is a pain in the A$$ to install the clip.

From Shilen's website:

"This trigger does not come with a safety. You must use the safety from your original Rem 700 trigger. If you have the newer X-Mark Pro, you must purchase a safety kit and bolt action release."

If you go to the price list they list a trigger with safety, none of the online vendors I checked listed them so maybe they have recently finally pulled their heads out of their a$$es and decided to offer one. All I've ever seen you had to buy a rifle basix safety kit to make the thing work.

If they make one with a safety then it's something they just started because they never have in the past. Saving money and transferring the parts is fine, if you have the parts to begin with. The vast majority of triggers getting replaced on a remington M700 are the X Mark pro triggers and the parts don't fit so there's extra money and time getting the safety kit sent to you.

I don't really care, there are a bunch of other good triggers for a M700 so it's easy to just move past the Shilens and get one that actually comes complete and ready to install. Maybe Shilen finally figured out that they'd sell more triggers if they actually furnish all the stuff you need to make it work.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
HEY!

From Shilen's website:

"This trigger does not come with a safety. You must use the safety from your original Rem 700 trigger. If you have the newer X-Mark Pro, you must purchase a safety kit and bolt action release."

If you go to the price list they list a trigger with safety, none of the online vendors I checked listed them so maybe they have recently finally pulled their heads out of their a$$es and decided to offer one. All I've ever seen you had to buy a rifle basix safety kit to make the thing work.

If they make one with a safety then it's something they just started because they never have in the past. Saving money and transferring the parts is fine, if you have the parts to begin with. The vast majority of triggers getting replaced on a remington M700 are the X Mark pro triggers and the parts don't fit so there's extra money and time getting the safety kit sent to you.

I don't really care, there are a bunch of other good triggers for a M700 so it's easy to just move past the Shilens and get one that actually comes complete and ready to install. Maybe Shilen finally figured out that they'd sell more triggers if they actually furnish all the stuff you need to make it work.

So you just use a Tinny trigger?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

All my Remingtons or Remington clones have Jewells. I would consider a Shilen but by the time you buy one in stainless and the stainless safety kit on the side you're almost at the price of a Jewell.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

All my Remingtons or Remington clones have Jewells. I would consider a Shilen but by the time you buy one in stainless and the stainless safety kit on the side you're almost at the price of a Jewell.

Have a lot of Arnold's triggers, but I do not like them on a hunting rifle. They have to be adjusted too light to eliminate the creep.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A Jewell set at slightly less than 2 lbs or 28-30ozs makes a great hunting trigger. Mine has no creep. powdr

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

202 members (12344mag, 300jimmy, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 2UP, 22 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.