Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mudhen
For the first 25 years of my career as a wildlife biologist, I used a Buck 110 folder for everything in the field. When we went into the lab, I used commercial butchering knives and scalpels to do necropsies, but that 110 was the only knife in my pocket or on my belt until it disappeared from my luggage at the airport in Kodiak, AK. I keep thinking that I will buy another, but I just can't believe that it would be the same...

This ^^^^^^

I have a Buck 501 Squire folder like this (still have it, though). Opening day of deer season in Texas is about November 1, but it still can be 85-90 degrees in the afternoon. One such day, we killed three deer from our camp and needed to take them apart and get the meat on ice pronto. I usually carry two or three knives. When one gets dull, I just close it and switch to another, leaving cleanup until the meat is squared away and re-sharpening till campfire time.

We were well into the third deer when I realized I had never switched knives. Back then, that was a $25 knife; even today, it can be had for $40-$50. But it holds its own against the expensive mass production knives, and even alongside the customs.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've never had much luck with Mora knives, either carbon or stainless. The blades are very thin and those that I've owned could take a very sharp edge, but they wouldn't hold an edge.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have used a bunch of knives over the decades, including most of those mentioned. For the past 12-15 years have used the same Victoronix Swiss Army Knife (the Camper model, if I recall correctly) on hundreds of deer and pronghorns. It works great, and started working even better after I treated all the blades (including the saw) with Gun Shield. Can just rinse it off in hot water for a few seconds and everything comes off.

Have used it on bigger stuff, and it's okay on caribou and small elk, and even once was the first knife to start on a water buffalo bull, because nobody else had any sort of knife along. But was happy when somebody else showed up with bigger knives!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
B B -

I have at least 3 Buck 110s and indeed they are very good knives. 1 has nice wood, 1 has average wood, 1 has synthetic handle.

Regarding price --- find one for $20.00 these days.

Since I have more'n one, I haven't checked prices but I guess $40.00ish.

I HAD a friend, now passed, that could NOT sharpen his Buck 110. I sharpened it for him several Xs. Wish I still could sharpen it for him.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
jwall,

I am familiar with that feeling.

Must also note that Victoronix Camper Model Swiss Army knives, which feature an easily sharpened stainless steel, are usually a little (but not a lot) more than $20 these days. But I have picked up several for less than that used at gun shows, and for far less than that from a guy who sells knives confiscated by TSA. 10 bucks is about average.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I like the Mora 711 a bunch. Bought a Mora Robust, but keep going back to the 711.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've been a Buck fan for years, but I no longer use any thing but the Outdoor Edge Razor replaceable blade folding knife. If I dull a blade it's easily replaced with a fresh razor sharp replacement. No sharping for me if I don't want to.

Last edited by super T; 08/27/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any of the Cold Steel offerings, "Bushman" would work fine.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by super T
I've been a Buck fan for years, but I no longer use any thing but the Outdoor Edge Razor replaceable blade folding knife. If I dull a blade it's easily replaced with a fresh razor sharp replacement. No sharping for me if I don't want to.

Mornin "Mr. T"----(grin)

I have a couple of razor blade knives - never used 1 on a deer. I was thinkin the razor blade would cut THRU the skin toooo easily.

Have to give it a try this Fall. I really like the idea of throwin the dull blade away instead of sharpening.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
jwall, wow you're up early, good morning to you. Yeah, you must be careful them(Outdoor Edge knife) 'cause they are sharp. They are also very strong unlike the easily broken Havalon Piranta replaceable blade system knife.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kershaw Chill-$16.

It's my everyday carry and works well for me. Really like the clip, which is handy as hell when you are holding something with one hand and need a knife in the other. It gets used like a tool for everything from cleaning battery terminals to cutting up something dead. Worst thing about it is the word "China" on the blade...

I really can't wrap my mind around packing a $300 custom for what I need a knife for, but to each his own.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by super T
jwall, wow you're up early, good morning to you. Yeah, you must be careful them(Outdoor Edge knife) 'cause they are sharp. They are also very strong unlike the easily broken Havalon Piranta replaceable blade system knife.

I'm normally an early riser but not always on air first thing.

I've been considering an O E knife. I'll tell em YOU sold me on them. Be looking for your kick back. <G>

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Lonny
Kershaw

I really can't wrap my mind around packing a $300 custom for what I need a knife for, but to each his own.

I like Kershaw as well. I have 3 of the skeleton pocket knives. You are right about the pocket clip. I have 2 other, don't remember title, Kershaws that I like for skinning but they're holster models.

Per - $300. for customs -

I have a few similar comments but the least offensive (more p c version) is....

AIN'T GONNA DOIT ! !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
For the past 12-15 years have used the same Victoronix Swiss Army Knife (the Camper model, if I recall correctly) on hundreds of deer and pronghorns. It works great

I love Victorinox blades. The one Victorinox watch I had, not so much.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
tjm10025,

Then we've had the same experience!

I had one Victoronix watch, and it died quicker than any other watch I've owned in the past 30 years.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Opinel. $12.95 on Amazon. They come very sharp, stay that way reasonably well and are surprisingly easy to sharpen. They lock open, lock closed, are very light and quit rugged given their simple construction. I have used them to field dress a number of deer and antelope and, if I am careful, they cut through the ribs just fine. I have had several, never had one break though, like all my pocket knives, they tend to go missing fairly regularly...but at 13 bucks, who cares? Buy a few spares.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hey, this thread cost me money! Remembering all the Buck 112 Rangers I've had over the years and given how perfectly happy I am with a fixed blade BuckLite I have, I ended up ordering three more, two folders and one larger fixed blade plus a Cold Steel PendletonLite! I have owned exactly two custom knives, one with D2 and one with uber-steel. Still have one, but it's a certainty that the knife I can sharpen will be the one I carry.... 420CisAOK

Like this but a RMEF version.
[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mtn B -

Y E A H ***

I'm only 1/3 the knife looney that I am Rifle Looney. People like>>>YOU<<< will make me spend mo money!!!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The buck 110 and 112 models have long been favorites of mine. I also really like Victorinox knives, especially the Farmer model. I carry one of those along with a Case Trapper with CV blades daily. A useful knife doesn't have to be expensive.

μολὼν λαβέ
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
B B -

I have at least 3 Buck 110s and indeed they are very good knives. 1 has nice wood, 1 has average wood, 1 has synthetic handle.
Jerry

Edit/Correction:

This thread made me do a little 'recon' of my knives.

I only have 2 (two) Buck 110s...

I have 1 (one) Buck 112. Had actually forgotton the 112.

I like the size of the 112 a little better BUT....
I use the 110s much more.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 37 invisible), 1,977 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,726
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.