Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I

I don't know what the weight for finished product would be but the recipe looks pretty damn good.

recipe

Food tastes better when you eat it outside.

Except camping food. Or, well, most camping food. Even the freshest air can’t revive those lifeless, salty bags of dried-out backpacker “meals.” Which is why the following recipe for sweet-and-sour chicken stir-fry might be the best thing to happen to camping since fire.

ADVERTISEMENT

The recipe comes from outdoorsman Dean Hoath, who has been guiding tours through some of Australia’s most primitive parts since 1996. (He now works for Indigofera Ecotours.) Hoath uses a dehydrator (we like this one from Waring Pro) to turn a simple stir-fry into a “just-add-water” backpacker meal. Though the cook time may intimidate you, just think of the payoff: tucking in to a meal of sweet pineapple, lemon-tenderized pork cutlets, crisp peppers, and hearty mushrooms—all beneath the stars in the woods.

Beats the hell out of a can-o-beans, huh?

Sweet-and-Sour Chicken Stir-Fry
Recipe by Dean Hoath of Indigofera Ecotours in Northern Australia

What you’ll need:
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb pork loin, cut into stir-fry strips
2 medium Portobello mushrooms, cut into large chunks
1 small white onion, cut into large chunks
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into large chunks
1 8-oz. can pineapple chunks, drained
Juice of 1 lemon
½ cup sweet and sour sauce
1 tsp honey
1 Tbsp minced garlic
A few sprigs of fresh cilantro

How to make it:
1. In a large skillet or wok over high heat, add the oil. Add the cook pork and cook, stirring often, until done, about 5 minutes. Drain any excess liquid from the pan.
2. Place the skillet or wok back on the heat, lower the heat to medium, and add the mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, pineapple, lemon juice, sweet and sour sauce, honey, garlic, and cilantro. Cook, stirring frequently until the vegetables are tender and the sauce reduces by half, 10 to 15. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. Line a dehydrator plate with parchment paper, and thinly spread the mixture onto the plate, using additional parchment-lined dehydrator plates, if necessary. Turn the dehydrator on and dehydrate on medium (280°F) until the ingredients are dry, about 15 hours. Transfer to zip-top bags*.
4. To make the meal at the campsite, place the dehydrated mixture in a pot with enough water to cover the ingredients. Boil over the campfire, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and the ingredients rehydrate, about 30 minutes. Makes 3 servings.

* Dehydrated meals have an average shelf life of eight months before they begin losing flavor. For best results, prepare them as closely to the date of departure as possible and store the dehydrated packs in sealed zip-top bags in the freezer until you’re ready to head out on your trip.

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All ya need is Kraft mac and cheese, 1 can of cream of celery soup, & 1 or 2 cans of tuna.

Make mac & cheese, draining 2/3 of the water, add the rest. Add pepper.

Hell yes!!!!!

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Sounds good but dehydrators in Australia must be different than ours.

280 degrees (medium??) is not dehydrating

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yep. I'm getting pretty sick of freeze dried food and on my trips this summer it has been difficult to gag that stuff down. I've used some dehydrated meals over the years like Knorr or Lypton casseroles, dehydrated beans and rice and tortillas top make burritos, etc. I think I'm going to do more of that. But I'm not going to spend too much time prepping at home. It's too easy to get dehydrated packaged foods at the super market.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Just another reason why I like horseback hunts. We eat real food.

Freeze dried IMO, is to fill a hole and keep you alive.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
733 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.