-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
With all the fires in the NW, we're seeing some fantastic red sun rises & sets. However, digital cameras normally can't show the red sun because of the light wavelength. It burns through the clouds and smoke so photos always come out with the sun yellow or white.
What kind of filter or setting is needed to keep the red color?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like you are overexposing the sun. Does you histogram show the clipping? You may have to underexpose to get the sun, and then blend images together.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Doug is correct. The sensors can only capture a range of about 6-10 stops of light, the sun, even filtered through clouds will still be pretty bright. Underexposing will give you a better shot and blending will fix it. As for the issue of the sun being yellow or white, once you underexposure, or just expose for the sun a simple White Balance adjustment should do the trick or at least get it closer to what you are looking for. Be extremely careful though of leaving your camera exposing to the sun for a long period of time, it can easily burn a sensor.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks guys. Now that the fire is under control and the smoke is clearing I'll have to wait until we get another one to try it.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Of course this is while the sun is setting and isn't as bright as it is while high in the sky, but my camera has various settings for different light levels and applications.

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A hard GND should work well in this case

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
dunno what happened but I got the red. there was a mix of clouds and smoke. I would lift the camera so there was just a little of the mountain/sunset in the frame, push the shutter button to lock the settings,bring the camera down to get the picture I wanted and shoot. the pictures still do not do the sunset justice. it was unreal. the wife and I had to stop the truck, get out and watch the sun set.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I can get the red surrounding the sun. What I can't get is the sun itself when it's a red ball in the sky. The fires in this area area are out now so I can't try again until we get another one (I'll gladly wait, hopefully for a LONG time).

― George Orwell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 19rabbit52, 56 invisible), 2,862 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,695
Posts18,456,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.