Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I just posted a new article titled, Casting with a PID Controller. If you’re interested go to the following link:

http://www.texas-mac.com/Casting_with_a_PID_Controller.html

From now on it will definitely be a part of my casting process.

Wayne

Last edited by texasmac; 08/21/15.

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks, Wayne. At ~$140.00 for the DIY Kit, it is certainly appealing for those who want to pour very consistent bullets.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The "Make and Break" thermostats on smaller casting pots have ALWAYS been the weak, or erratic link.

That is really fine development, and you're right about the price.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Lookin at building a pid for a lee pot.

Picked up some beautiful mihec molds from a divorce sale this spring that I would like to put to use next month.

Looks like it would work well for pouring lead into those big brass molds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have heard a lot of glowing stuff about those PID's, but I can't help but wonder how we ever managed to cast good bullets with nothing but a cast iron pot over a fire of some sort and a ladle to work with.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Have heard a lot of glowing stuff about those PID's, but I can't help but wonder how we ever managed to cast good bullets with nothing but a cast iron pot over a fire of some sort and a ladle to work with.

They also rode wagons across country; road buggies, horses or walked to town and back, etc., etc., etc... I enjoy taking advantage of new technologies.

Wayne

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Been using a PID for a few years.

Holds temperature to what is set.

Easy to change to change temps for different molds, alloys, ambient temps, etc.

One less variable to worry about.

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mtnfisher
Been using a PID for a few years.

Holds temperature to what is set.

Easy to change to change temps for different molds, alloys, ambient temps, etc.

One less variable to worry about.

Has it decreased the weight variation in your bullets?

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Not a lot. A good casting cadence is needed for either method.

But what it has done for me, is allow me to cast more bullets from a pot. I throw the sprue back. Without a PID after about a 1/3 to 1/2 pot the temps would drop too much. With the PID, I can add the sprue back till the pot is too low to fill the ladle and the temp holds.

Lee pots were the worst for this. The Waage wasn't as bad. Now they both allow me to cast the full pot.

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by mtnfisher

Not a lot. A good casting cadence is needed for either method.

But what it has done for me, is allow me to cast more bullets from a pot. I throw the sprue back. Without a PID after about a 1/3 to 1/2 pot the temps would drop too much. With the PID, I can add the sprue back till the pot is too low to fill the ladle and the temp holds.

Lee pots were the worst for this. The Waage wasn't as bad. Now they both allow me to cast the full pot.

Excellent comments and mirrors my results during the short time I've used a PID so far. The one exception is, of the two pots I have, the "better pot" is a RCBS. The other is a Lee.

Wayne

See www.texas-mac.com
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 20 invisible), 2,162 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,649
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.