-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is the best garden tractor, but it isn't a very good lawn mower.

[Linked Image]

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I saw a film(video to you young guys) of Roy Roger using one of those to loosen the soil in Triggers pen.

Last edited by websterparish47; 08/27/15.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Simplicity is were I would be looking...I just sold one this spring with 400 Hrs never Had a screw turned.....Still running the original Blades and belts mowed 2+ ac a week. Pulled stumps with it, beat the chit out of it. It had the vanguard engine and tough Torque Trans with traction control. never got stuck. You can get them with a Fabricated deck Now.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
My JD LT178 is 18 years old and still mowing grass. Been serviced every year. As far as I'm concerned "Nothing runs like a Deere".

Do you think a modern day Deere is the same as one made 18 years ago? When Iived in Kansas I had a Hustler ZTR and it was a great machine for the 4 or so acres I had to mow. Again, it was of 1995 vintage so what they make today may well be different.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cuznguido
Once upon a time it would have been Gravely. They had all kinds of attachments and extremely well made and virtually indestructable. Now everything not John Deere green is pretty much pure junk. The one exception is Kubota. But neither JD nor Kubota are in the price range you indicate. One thing for absolute certainty, ztay well away from Cub Cadet. The old ones were great. The new ones are horrible.

I grew up in WV, and just about everyone we knew that had any acreage had a Gravely. It was a shame they went away.

However, nature abhors a vacuum and that vacuum has long since been filled with improvements.

BCS America

You buy the tractor with an implement and additional implements are about $1100.

[img]http://www.bcsamerica.com/assets/tt.php?q=90&src=http://www.bcsamerica.com/aire/../uploads/2013/03/PowerSafe-Controls.jpg&w=460&h=460[/img]

Just like the old Gravelys, you can get a rotary plow, roto-tiller attachement, shovel plow, rough-country rotary mower, sicckle bar mower, snow blower, wood splitter, and a metric-schittload of other implements for gardening, snow removal, mowing, cleaning, grading wood chipping.

Just scroll down to the bottom of the page and check out all the attachments by category.

Last edited by stevelyn; 08/27/15.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My pick is a John Deere, Ive worked on mowers for 20+ years. Get the better one not the L or D series. Ive got a customer that mows commercial with a X300 that has 1700 hours on it. I have another customer that has 2200hrs on a LX 277 which the X300 replaced.

Of course you have to remember some folks can tear up anything.

Majority of my repairs are from bad fuel and water.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Oldman03

[Linked Image]

That one looks about as good as our Super A as far as a small tractor goes. Have done a lot with ours. But its never had new paint etc...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
lots of great info, thanks Guys I'm open to more opinions as well. needs to be a new machine, will be used for mowing primarily with the possibility of heavier cover, possibly other stuff as well like hauling a little wagon W/ 25 gal sprayer.it will be used primarily around a 4000+ acre private conservation property so it could be used for more than just yard work. I do have a big JD with 3pt mower to do the heavy lifting.

part of the reason I was interested in the raven I linked previously, it might serve lots of purposes around here, only problem is they are so new and unreliable I don't want to be wasting money possibly. on the flip side if it works as advertised with minimal problems it would be the cat's pajamas.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Oldman03

[Linked Image]

Very nice!
I grew up on a farm, and we had three Farmalls- A D, an M, and an MD. Wish I knew where they are now.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The best deal I've found on a garden tractor that's also a good lawn tractor, in your price range is this:
[Linked Image]

It's a used Kubota BX2230 with 60" mower deck. It's got a little three cylinder diesel engine with around 24 or so horsepower, four-wheel drive, mid PTO shaft driven 60" mower deck, three point hitch, 540 rpm rear PTO, hydraulic lift on deck, and LOTS of other good features. I've got the 60" belly mower, a used rear blade, a 48" King Kutter gear drive XB series 3pt hitch mounted tiller, a heavy duty dump cart, and a pull-behind fertilizer and seed spreader.

It had 1500 hours on it when I bought it, but the engine, transmission and everything else on it is in good condition. If I'd known what great little tractors these are, I'd have had one years ago.

[Linked Image]

I've kept my 100 yards of gravel driveway in great shape, mowed my yard and the church yard with it, fetched firewood out of the woods, and put in four deer plots with it this summer. I do wish I had a front end loader for it though.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
A friend has one and they had to replace the deck motor controllers.
They said they got a bad batch.

I kind of like that thing because of the gen as part of the machine.

They are fun to drive and haul butt on electric only.
They do a good job of mowing some tall grass.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 71 invisible), 3,007 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,116
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.