Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone know if Ruger is planning to offer the Ruger American in magnum calibers. like 7mm RM or 300WM? Had a guy at work ponder this, and was curious

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like the RAR's, but the 308 is about as much as I want in rifle that light.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I wouldn't mind a 7mm RM in an RAR, but dunno how well that cartridge sells anymore.

There was a time when I didn't mind the recoil of the .300 WM in a 7-pound (including scope) rifle, even with the 200-grain bullets at 3000 fps. But eventually experience taught me that much rifle and bullet wasn't necessary for most hunting.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by iambrb
Anyone know if Ruger is planning to offer the Ruger American in magnum calibers. like 7mm RM or 300WM? Had a guy at work ponder this, and was curious

Tell the cheap bastid to pony up with the checkbook and buy a real rifle instead of wishing for that which ain't there.....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The question also makes me wonder about several things:

1) Is he planning on hunting some animal that might actually require a 7mm Remington or .300 Winchester Magnum, or is he one of the many guys from east of the Mississippi who thinks a magnum will work better on whitetails?

2) Has he ever owned or shot a 7mm RM or .300 WM before?

3) In my part of the world there are a pile of used 7mm RM's for sale for prices similar to the RAR. Not so much with the .300 WM, but you can still find one for $450 or less in good shape.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I wouldn't mind a 7mm RM in an RAR, but dunno how well that cartridge sells anymore.

There was a time when I didn't mind the recoil of the .300 WM in a 7-pound (including scope) rifle, even with the 200-grain bullets at 3000 fps. But eventually experience taught me that much rifle and bullet wasn't necessary for most hunting.

I have seen things go full circle. Used to be that standard calibers were, well, the standard. Then magnumitis set in and everyone needed a magnum. And now folks have gotten their senses about them again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by iambrb

Tell the cheap bastid to pony up with the checkbook and buy a real rifle instead of wishing for that which ain't there.....

Some folks have light thin checkbooks and really aren't bastids at all, like so many who have big fat checkbooks are. wink

Have you ever shot an RAR? I didn't think so.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
nope.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Do they make them in rimfires?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
mebbe I could borrow enuff money to get one........

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grin grin

OK...whose photo did you poach?? confused

I have no affection for guns that don't have blue steel and walnut, but some are attractive in their precision/price/function.

...got me! shocked

wink

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
mebbe I could borrow enuff money to get one........

If you can find someone dumb enough to cash my check we'll split and buy a bunch, each. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari

I have no affection for guns that don't have blue steel and walnut, but some are attractive in their precision/price/function.

A little paint can make them more 'attractive'.......

Can't help on price or function.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Always interesting to see what's considered "attractive" painting of synthetic stocks. To me they always looks like some variety of plastic, which ain't necessarily unattractive, but....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
paint helps?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
not like I'm trying to finish your sentences, or anything....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by luv2safari

A little paint can make them more 'attractive'.......

Can't help on price or function.

Don:

you're definitely the Campfire's Rattle Can Rembrandt...

you've made many a plain rifle look awful darn good... at least in pictures.. but I am sure they look as good or better in real life...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not like I'm trying to finish your sentences, or anything....

Well, you'll never make a good wife.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I sell firearms at a very high volume store in Texas. Using no scientific method, just memory, I would say .308 is the number one chambering people ask for in a hunting rifle. There are still a large number of people that ask for .300 WM, 7MM Mag and .300 WSM. The magnum people generally are of a type and nothing less will do for them on Texas deer. I know a lot of members of the Campfire have seen and/or hunted Texas deer and I've personally never felt the need for a magnum here. I'm 56 and used a milsurp 30-06 as a kid, bought a .270 when I was 13 and switched to a 6.5x55 about six years ago. To each his own. My daughter kills deer and hog just as dead with her .243 as my son does with his 30-06. If I lived further north where the big deer are I would possibly go to a 7x57. I'm sure it is a character flaw that I shoot standard calibers more accurately than magnums. The one elk hunt I went on was when my 700 ADL .270 was still my go to rifle. I was originally going to take my 30-06 but bad judgement got the better of me and I brought my .270. I was incredibly lucky and shot my elk at approximately 225 yards. We had to track the darn thing for 30 yards but finally found it. My experience I realize was probably a miracle and defied many accepted hunting truisms.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The question also makes me wonder about several things:

1) Is he planning on hunting some animal that might actually require a 7mm Remington or .300 Winchester Magnum, or is he one of the many guys from east of the Mississippi who thinks a magnum will work better on whitetails?

2) Has he ever owned or shot a 7mm RM or .300 WM before?

3) In my part of the world there are a pile of used 7mm RM's for sale for prices similar to the RAR. Not so much with the .300 WM, but you can still find one for $450 or less in good shape.

Oh hey, sorry about not responding sooner, I just saw this!

As you know John, I live well-far east of the Mississippi, and this guy is indeed one of those guys that hunts SC whitetail with a magnum rifle. Why? Not too sure! He has been using a Howa in 300 magnum for more than 10 years. Our state limit for deer is 10, and he has filled that amount every year since well before he bought that rifle. He likes the RAR, and was asking because he just wants a 7mm RM, plain & simple. Guess in his own way, he is a rifle loony, though not really a guy given to spending time in blog sites

I have been doing a bit of digging and it is surprising what a low number used 7mm mag can get. I have seen Remmy’s on GB for around the retail on the RAR, and that is OTD. I am not interested in it, I personally think 30-06 here is almost overkill, but in my career I have had some exposure to marketing, so when he asked, it gave me something to ponder on my commutes to work, hence the question, and thanks so much for answering!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,810
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.