Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Any submarine is worrysome. But their fleet has very limited capabilities. While submerged on battery even the old Whiskey and Romeo's are pretty darned quite, but at some point they have to run those diesels, and that's where they get caught. But they can raise a lot of hell and cause some headaches. But the South would deal with them, and God help the Norks if we got involved...it'd be a US submariners wet dream.

In relative terms, Whiskey's and Romeo's are pretty loud. If these were Kilo's with post 86 props, I'd be a lot more worried.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
they are more of a danger as floating debris than weapons. they used to use the smaller ones to drop sappers off along the ROK coast to infiltrate and perform small terror/surveillance activities back in the 70's and 80's. as with most of their weapon systems, ROK and US forces would make very short work of them.

My diploma is a DD214
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by add
No lifejackets?

I honestly don’t recall ever wearing a lifejacket on the bridge, even in some very crappy weather. The cockpit was chest high or thereabouts and pretty secure. The lookouts might have worn jackets, considering they usually stood a little higher on the bench in the back of the cockpit, but they could also tether themselves to the boat. That tether might have kept me from losing my lookout one night in the middle of the Atlantic.

It was more a commentary on the sea-worthiness of the vessel in the glamour shot.

In that case he probably just didn't want to look like Dukakis in the tank with the helmet on. Those other two doofuses sure were dressed to the nines though. Those norks sure do like their goofy looking dress caps.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The North's subs are loud and they will be sunk eventually, but what damage might they cause before they are sunk?

Here's a story on the North's military - see: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...eas-military-capabilities_n_3153691.html

With thousands of artillery pieces and millions of men under arms, they can cause a world of hurt before they are stopped, even after their subs and aircraft are destroyed.

Food for thought.

IC B2

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks all. You all seem to be feeling like me about it. So - sooner or later is something is going to have to give regarding NK or will it just go on like this for another 50 years?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's certainly going to go on for another 16 months.

Sean
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by k20350
I almost guarantee our subs can hear them from a looooooooooooooooooooooooong ways out. Hell they can probably listen to their conversations inside the boat.

Not if they are running on batteries, in which case, they are practically impossible to detect unless active prosecution methods (Sonar) is used..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
805 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12308300, 81 invisible), 3,163 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,714
Posts18,400,344
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.