Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
Well, I did finally get a go-pro (hero4)- but man, there's going to be a learning curve there! video is way more edit-intensive than photo. Hopefully I've have it figured out by next week.

Anyhoo, one our other "projects" this year is to try to add a Ferruginous hawk (Buteo regalis) to the fam.

They're the largest and fastest of the N.A. hawks, with the biggest females approaching the size of a male eagle. wingspan up to 5.5 feet, 2kg in weight.

In fact, their classification is somewhat in dispute --- are they a hawk, hawk-eagle, or eagle?

Many falconers believe they should rightly be classified as a booted eagle but right now they're a hawk so you don't have to be a Master falconer to have one on permit. wink

I helped a friend take an eyas from a nest in July, but I didn't have my ducks in a row back then to take one too, so I'll have to actually trap one the hard way (have about six located, will let you know!)

here's the one we got earlier:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
this is momma:

[Linked Image]

juvie fully feathered out:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IMHO, they're the sharpest looking of all N.A. raptors smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the word Regal comes to mind looking at the bottom pics.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
We had a ball feeding them, on our first prairie dog trip to SD some years back. I didn't know what kind of bird they were, but they sure were pretty,, and did a fine job cleaning up the carcasses we were scattering to the winds.

Noisy things, though, you should have heard them fussing when a prairie dog would fall apart as they took off.................................

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beautiful, just beautiful UtahLefty..... smile cool cool

IC B2

U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
Ferrugies are primo prairie dog hunters -- they don't just play whack-a-mole --- they actually get the mole.

interestingly, they have 2X the strength of a RT (4X a Harris Hawk) but their feet are only half the size.

(maybe helps with the whack-a-mole ??)

thinking is coming full circle on them ---> they're more successful at controlling prairie dogs than shooting and poisoning combined

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
So glad to see some raptor pics again. Thanks!

RS

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Amazing stuff, as always. Thanks!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As usual, very cool pictures! That is one beauty of a bird.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
Ferrugies are primo prairie dog hunters -- they don't just play whack-a-mole --- they actually get the mole.

interestingly, they have 2X the strength of a RT (4X a Harris Hawk) but their feet are only half the size.

(maybe helps with the whack-a-mole ??)

thinking is coming full circle on them ---> they're more successful at controlling prairie dogs than shooting and poisoning combined

They ARE beautiful birds, I didn't know what kind of bird it was until I got home and looked it up. The white breast feathers were the giveaway. Heck, I'd never even heard of them until that trip.
They really are good looking birds. I looked it over pretty well thru the scope (with the bolt open) as I sure didn't want any accidents. I enjoy looking at burrowing owls and big hawks while I'm in a PD patch.
It ain't ALL about killing PDs, the other stuff is just as fun to watch and experience whenever I'm out west.
Just this week, I saw armadillos, which I'd never seen before, and some other things that I'd not experienced in the wild, either. It's never a bad thing to see new critters that we don't have here in Kentucky.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I really look forward to this time of year when you start posting hawk pictures.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow. Seriously wow. That connection to nature is just incredible. I can see how it can be all consuming.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
wait til I get the videos figured out Pugs! grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nice, Matt.

They have a hole in the tongue?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
normal position of the tracheal opening Mike. It's shifted forward so they can swallow large chunks and still breathe (like a snake).

More ferrugie fun facts:

1.) they have the largest mouth opening (gape) of any raptor -- they can swallow a prairie dog or squirrel whole.

2.) see the black "prongs" on the sides of the tongue? those are also unique to ferrugies. sort of an anti-regurg device (they often try to steal from each other when swallowing large chunks and these help retain possession)

smile

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Help me a little with avian anatomy. The trachea is anterior to the esophagus?

When the throat has a chunk of food in it, the air goes through the tongue into the trachea?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
[Linked Image]

they can thrust their tongue quite a ways forward when food is in the throat and breathe through that hole while food goes down the larger opening in the back (esophagus) and into the crop

U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
here's the closest close-up I've got

[Linked Image]

tracheal opening is left, esophageal opening is back and right

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Got it now. Thanks!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most enjoyable - thanks. We've seen quite a few Ferruginous Hawks up close here over the years, and they are excellent at grabbing chipmunks/ground squirrels, prairie dogs and even an Ebert squirrel now and then (those seem to resist/fight more). These birds are impressive.

However, it seems thay are only here for a while and then gone. Do they migrate over long distances. I have heard some folks here refer to them as "rough legged" hawks and am wondering it they are one and the same. Info?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

277 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,468
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.