24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agreed. He does not have a classification that satisfies that statute; therefore, he does not have an Honorable Discharge nor a General under Honorable Conditions. He almost assuredly has an Other Than Honorable discharge, and I agree that having the service record amended after 36 years (it would take the entire record to be amended) is very high on the improbable scale.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
BP-B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
he'd have better luck getting the law changed than his record.

Assuming he could get Roy Cooper out of the AG spot first.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He will have zero luck getting a non-resident permit from any other state as well, so that's out. Utah, for example, which is the most accepted NR permit in the U.S. requires that an applicant for an NR permit have a valid carry permit in their resident state. Almost all of them have the same honorable conditions requirements for military discharge as well.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NonResidentPermits.pdf

The OP is, essentially, ass out for a CHP due to the discharge over illegal drug use 36 years ago. Without hiring an attorney and trying the very difficult route of getting the entire military record changed, he's OC nor No C only.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I served in the Navy from 1965 to 1976. I was the division chief over nuc machinist mates on two different submarines. In 1976 I had almost 1/2 of my guys busted for dope based on a false accusation. They didn't even piss test them and their naval careers were ruined. They were reduced in rate at a captains mast, transferred from the sub, and allowed to complete their enlistment w/o any chance to re-enlist.

Some things don't allow a do over... Sorry to hear of your plight.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
My DD214 just says Discharge. I did get an article 15 a few weeks prior. If I could figure out how to put a pic here I would show you a picture of the dd214. Thanks for all the input.

Steve ~ Asheville, NC
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then it's a straight General discharge without classification. Damned lucky to not have it been Other Than Honorable, which would have royally screwed your life in many ways. An unclassified General was probably the best you were going to get then and far better than what a drug-related discharge with an Article 15 would get today.

With the Article 15 for drug use prior, it's going to be damned unlikely to have the service record changed to move that to General under Honorable Conditions.

You're looking at Open Carry, or No Carry, as your options for lawful carry from here on out.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Scott,

I have re-reard the thread and must have again missed the place where the OP indicated the specific type/level of discharge that he actually received, except that it wasn't honorable. There are, as you know, multiple levels of enlisted discharges.

A General discharge is an administrative discharge, while three other negative discharges; Other Than Honorable, Bad Conduct, and Dishonorable require Court Martial actions. Since the OP indicated that he had never been arrested, I inferred that the discharge was administrative in nature, therefore a general discharge.

I have no idea where I got it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you weren't convicted via Court Martial, you were most likely administratively discharged under a General Discharge. I think that your chance of getting your General Discharge upgrade to a General Discharge Under Honorable Condition is slim, but if you feel that the investment is worth the cost in legal fees, I'd go for it.

The senior officer involved in your discharge would have had you sign documents acknowledging that accepting a General Discharge could cause you problems in your post-military life. You should have been given a notarized copy of those documents as part of your discharge package. If you didn't sign those documents, or those documents aren't in your military records, your position might be stronger, but you won't know unless you look.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for all the help.

I will try to get my discharge changed. Worse that can happen is they say NO.

I noticed no one suggested contacting the NRA or other second amendment groups.

Steve ~ Asheville, NC
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by bankcardrep1
Thanks for all the help.

Because it's not how I would go. You screwed up, let those groups deal with screwed up legislature/s.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thread should be titled
"Gun laws that only hurt the law abiding"

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Life is all about choices
You make 'em, you live with 'em.

Last edited by TBREW401; 08/28/15.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
some of you pricks are real fuggen helpful as usual.

My diploma is a DD214
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 700LH
Thread should be titled

I guess I need something explained to me: in what way would being busted for drugs be considered "law abiding?" Just curious.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the state of WA there is a real industry for attorneys getting gun rights back for felons after 5 years with no trouble. They will quote a price. I know a guy who has a gun problem that was not a felony, but bureaucratic screw up over an offense "attempted party house".
No attorney would quote a price to fix that, so the guy moved out of state.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH
Thread should be titled

That's because doing illegal drugs while enlisted in the military is NOT law abiding.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bankcardrep1
Thanks for all the help.

Those groups avoid losing cases and trying to change what was rightfully done by the .mil over 30 years ago.

No doubt there will be an attorney that will take your case (money), but that's all that will happen.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Forget about concealed carry.
Make it a good life lesson for you son - sometimes the rules do apply to you and there are consequences for breaking them.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think I would contact a service rep from DAV. The least they can do is help you find out what is in your records.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I do appreciate all the input. I am not looking for sympathy. I know I screwed up. I also know that I was 18/19 and brain not properly wired at the time. And considering the change in political climate about marijuana use and that I have committed zero crimes in a lifetime there might be a fair chance that I could have the record changed or a "waiver of some sort.

Short or throwing money at an attorney.

Steve ~ Asheville, NC
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
216 members (358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,192 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.