-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I have been hitting the Lamar every week since it cleared up and the fishing has been great. The last couple weeks have been the best. There are some real nice fish in the Lamar...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Fished it a couple/three years ago in mid-September, just caught the end of the hopper season. Pretty river to fish and I managed to have a little success, but nothing like those! I also fished it many years previous and managed a couple decent fish (that was late July).
Is the fly of choice right now a hopper pattern or do you have a secret recipe?
No doubt I will get back there within a couple years!

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Those are real nice fish in any stream in the country. I have fished in Yellowstone but did not fish the Larmar. When I get back there I will fish it for sure.

I fished the South Holston tailwater in Tennessee yesterday and had a ball catching fat browns on size 24 black flies larva and 18 sulphur nymphs. It has always amazed me how a large fish will eat a micro fly.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Most people don't know how or where to fish the Lamar. You would be amazed at where these fish are caught. I use a 3 weight rod with 7X tippet and you have to be real careful to not break fish like these off.

The water is Gin clear where these fish are and they can take a long look at your fly before they bite. You need to have good polarized glasses to see into the water and be able to watch the fish. There are lots of times the fish will come up, look at the fly and go back down without making any sign.

When I know I where the fish are, I fish to that particular fish, and if they turn down a fly several times, I change to a different fly and do it again. People will say Cutthroat are stupid fish, but once they get fished this much and get that big, they are no fools...

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very nice.. We went up to the Lamar this month.. But the day we chose to fish, it was pretty cloudy.. But the drive was worth it...

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Deeply envious. Toss up between the Lamar and Slough Creek for my favorites. Nice fish for damn sure.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I need lessons from you...spent the last two weekends on the bighorn without a fish.. My buddy from Texas that just learned to fly fish last week has two fish....that's just wrong

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
I need lessons from you...spent the last two weekends on the bighorn without a fish.. My buddy from Texas that just learned to fly fish last week has two fish....that's just wrong

When you know you are going to the Bighorn, let me know, I have fished it a ton. I love that river, but it can be tough. I don't use nymphs, but most fish can be caught using nymphs. Besides that we can hit the Custer Battlefield for a nice tour of history...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We rented a drift boat and followed the advice of the local fly shops..i wonder if the bite changed..didn't se a whole lot of fish caught but a few..
I'm staying in harden so it's not too far down to the river...can't remember the name but little tiny fly with pink bead and a teeny tiny black bead head..
The float thing I just can't manage as I don't cast that well and end up tangled only about half the guy on the river were using floats..
I tryed the hopper with dropper and got a couple tail swats but that's it.
Might try it next weekend if you want to drive that far...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Does Ray Charles sound familiar? They use that a lot on the Bighorn. I was planning on fishing the Bighorn this weekend but heard it was dirty and mossy. Black Caddis should be hatching now. Woolly Buggers with sink tips will usually produce good results.

What are the conditions of the river and what is the flow in cubic feet/minute?

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That sounds like the setup...the river was a little off color sat but better Sunday..saw more fish caught sat..I think the off color might have been better...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like the second pic with the fish still in the water. The upper, however, looks to be a gonner with its centered eye. Can one keep a fish for the pan in the park?

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
Like the second pic with the fish still in the water. The upper, however, looks to be a gonner with its centered eye. Can one keep a fish for the pan in the park?

You don't keep Park fish. There was a Ranger there when I took the picture and the fish was looking up at her...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can keep park fish, just not cutts. I believe this year you had to keep all 'non-native' fish in the Soda Butte/Lamar/Slough area.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dug some worms and loaded some lead on the treble hooks.
See you on the Lamar this Thursday, after I get back from Cody.
slave

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was there.....

You weren't.

I was crushed.

Have Dog

Will Travel

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by wageslave
I was there.....

You weren't.

I was crushed.

But did you catch fish?

PS Know any brookie streams in the locale?

ETA: I can give up grayling info. smile

Last edited by Jcubed; 09/21/15.
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Beautiful fish indeed. Never fished the Lamar, but did spend some time on Slough Creek a long while ago. Thanks for sharing.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Fished the Lamar, Firehole, and Madison last October. Planned on going this year but flew down to Belize for Tarpon/Permit instead. Hopped under a bridge into the Lamar and immediately sight casted to an awesome cutt. Not a single bite the rest of the day but one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

The Lamar is a favorite, I have been fishing it every Thursday through the summer. The Yellowstone at Buffalo Ford used to be my favorite, but the die off the past 10 years or so has ruined it for the once prolific Cuts that used to hang out there. I still managed to catch this pig there a couple years ago...

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

346 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 1,913 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,655
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.