Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
America has become a 'disposable' society. And the gunmakers are giving out what's wanted by their public.

Yup. I'm just waiting to see which one is the first to switch manufacturing to China. Once that starts all of them will follow suit quickly.

The big issue with that is dealing with the potential risks of importing small arms though. It doesn't take an actual law for your livelihood to be screwed with if you're importing firearms and not building them here in the US>

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
mebbe you should go hungry tonight and lissen to the radio.

You can't maintain a full figure like mine by skipping meals.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RinB
It is in the evitable that there will be many aftermarket parts

Wish they'd hurry up on decent replacement mags.....

I wish they'd get on a stainless .22.

What's wrong with the mags, other than the OAL issue with the .223s?

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
If everyone starts buying RAR and sales drop off on the Hawkeyes I think they could go away.

Until I started working with the M77 MarkII and Hawkeyes I did not appreciate them. I have a Tikka and see no reason to get a RAR. You start voting with your pocket book and you'll end up with tool chest of Tiwan Tools. The rifle industry may just end up the same way.

A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think there's still enough demand for CRF, blued steel, and walnut to keep the 77s going. The RARs are selling to folks who might otherwise buy used or borrow something to hunt with, and also of course to Loonies who want to play around with something without burning out Old Faithful's barrel. Where once guys would chop down an old SMLE or 95 for a truck or barn gun, now they can get something new, accurate, and reliable for a few hundred bucks. I'm convinced a fair number are sold as impulse purchases. Guy goes to the LGS, would like to buy something, but his budget and/or conscience hold him back until he spots the RAR and BOOM, game over. Once he's had his fun or if little Sally Ann suddenly needs an operation, he can sell it and not lose much money.

Another thing is that so far, they're not chambered for any magnum rounds, which still have a following. Whether that's a marketing decision or to keep costs down is anybody's guess.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by JPro
The 'Murican is more of a tool than a pride-of-ownership item, but it serves a purpose. You don't mind getting it dirty, it is light, it shoots without much fuss, and it is cheap. My secondhand 7mm-08 SS compact likes Hornady's American Whitetail 139 Interlock load just fine ($21 at the hardware store). It's not as pretty or as solid as a M77, but it does what it is supposed to do, which means the engineers did their jobs.

More 'Murica......

[Linked Image]

That's not a Phillipino scope is it?

Nice ride.

The "Beast" gave my liver a purpose many years ago. We've met. Back when beer was breakfast food.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The budget rifles are king as far as sales go. Those SKU's turn significantly faster than the higher priced counterparts.

Right now, the Hawkeye is in limbo. There isn't a stainless/synthetic model in production....the first time since the MKII stainless hit the shelves 25 years or so ago.

You might laugh, but I think the stainless finish on the current Hawkeye helped diminish sales. Now that I'm on the other side of the counter, I can't tell you how many times a week I hear someone complain about their current color/metal finish. That's something Ruger will never be able to quantify. Had they just taken the shiny stainless and gave it a nice bead blast, I think they would have been evaluating totally different sales data over the last few years.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen a lot of complaints here about the finish. I like the very matte finish on my Predator, as it's very subdued and non-reflective. My 77/22 RSI seems less so, but still is very attractive. I had a couple boat paddles years ago and always thought they were a bit too shiny. Not enough raccoon blood in me, I guess.

The Alaska boys are going to miss those stainless 77s. I've read several times that the .338s are very popular. Prices might start to go North like the boat-paddles. CDNN has some for about $550. Might not be a bad investment.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by ringworm
Not his taste in mowers...

Definite points on the JD.

Travis

By what he shoots and drinks, he should be ridin' a Kamikaze - bump

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The shooters of the day loved the 721/722 rifles. Same with the 700s and the 788s.

And ask those who've hunted with a 788 if they don't have "soul"...

I myself could like the RAR a bit better if the stock looked and felt more like a normal stock.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
squint yer eyes and wear gloves......

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (AdventureBound, 338reddog, 260Remguy, 44automag, 4xbear, 79S, 13 invisible), 1,638 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,189
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.