Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
cdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

A guy came in to the store yesterday with his new A5 he'd bought earlier in the week. He could not get a choke to insert into the end of the barrel(hint: there was already a choke in the barrel), so he tried it from the other end and had a choke stuck in the chamber. I tried for a few minutes to get it out but couldn't budge it.

I knew he felt really embarrassed and felt bad for him. We were pretty busy with a number of customers observing. When I heard the first snigger I gave the sniggerer the best go to hell look I could muster and then gave the rest of the people standing around the evil eye so they wouldn't say anything. But there is always one jerk in the crowd. This nimrod was examining a Desert Eagle in 50 AE and showing off for his girlfriend, with no intention of purchasing. He said to his girlfriend loud enough for everyone around to hear that the guy with the A5 was a dumbass. Before I could button it up I stated that everyone I knew that liked or owned Desert Eagles was obviously compensating for something. That shut him most rikky tik, his girlfriend started laughing at him and he stormed out of the store. I was lucky he didn't call back and complain about me.

Sent the A5 guy to the gunsmith I use.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cdb

A guy came in to the store yesterday with his new A5 he'd bought earlier in the week. He could not get a choke to insert into the end of the barrel(hint: there was already a choke in the barrel), so he tried it from the other end and had a choke stuck in the chamber. I tried for a few minutes to get it out but couldn't budge it.

I knew he felt really embarrassed and felt bad for him. We were pretty busy with a number of customers observing. When I heard the first snigger I gave the sniggerer the best go to hell look I could muster and then gave the rest of the people standing around the evil eye so they wouldn't say anything. But there is always one jerk in the crowd. This nimrod was examining a Desert Eagle in 50 AE and showing off for his girlfriend, with no intention of purchasing. He said to his girlfriend loud enough for everyone around to hear that the guy with the A5 was a dumbass. Before I could button it up I stated that everyone I knew that liked or owned Desert Eagles was obviously compensating for something. That shut him most rikky tik, his girlfriend started laughing at him and he stormed out of the store. I was lucky he didn't call back and complain about me.

Sent the A5 guy to the gunsmith I use.

Now that was funny! laugh laugh

And quick thinking too.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
+ 2

I put that in MY memory bank ! !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good for you. Most folks use these stories to laugh at others misfortune and show how smart and superior to every one else they are, but you showed some compassion and understanding to a guy in need.

Admittedly what the A5 owner did was kind of dumb but none of us were born knowing what we know now, we had to learn it somewhere and make our own mistakes along the way.

You get at least 10 good karma points for that one.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
C
cdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I will admit that sometimes it is hard to hold your tongue. A few weeks ago a guy came in wanting to see a Nugget rifle. Told him I'd never heard of one which caused him to get pissy with me because according to his friend we had a bunch of them last fall. After a little bit of questioning I realized he was looking for a Mosin Nagant. In his mind I was the ignorant one.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That's priceless.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
cdb -

There is ALL KINDS of 'stupid' out there. I'm sure more will surface.

A Friend who worked at a local gun/gear store TOLD me.

A fellow came in looking at a 'semi'auto 30.06. The guy 'axed', how does it work?

Friend said, It is gas operated.

Customer said, QUOTE "where do you put the gas?"

he was serious, didn't know any better.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I agree with your opinion on Desert Eagle lovers.

Me

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Too bad there's not a guy like you in every gun shop. Unfortunately, most are like Mr. Desert Eagle.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In Marine Corps boot camp in 1971 the D.I. was just starting the familiarization class on the M-14. He had just bellowed out the line: "The M14 rifle is a 7.62-mm, magazine fed, gas operated, air-cooled, semiautomatic, shoulder weapon".

A spring-loaded city boy in the front row raises his hand high in the air. The D.I., obviously not happy to be interrupted so quickly into his presentation, barked, "What's your question?"

The spring-butt loudly asked, "What kind of gas, Drill Sergeant?"

Without missing a beat, within a split second, the Sergeant bellowed, "Marine Corps gas, of course, you idiot!"

The Sergeant resumed his lesson so quickly that no one had a chance to laugh (if we dared) or even fully comprehend the humor of the situation. Anyway we were all in a zombie state right after a couple of hard hours of PT and running several miles.

I still laugh out loud at the memory.

Last edited by nifty-two-fifty; 08/29/15.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Desert Eagle owners need a little compassion too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They probably won't find it here!
Sometimes this is not a very compassionate bunch.
Geno

Last edited by Valsdad; 08/29/15.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nifty, I was talking to a young gentleman who didn't really know much about guns at all. We were deer hunting in an area that required shotguns, and I was using a Browning A-5, he was using a Remington 1100.

I remarked how I was liking some of the advantages of gas operated systems vs recoil operated when he interrupted with a "Gas operated?? Lord, I ain't never put none in it, so I hope it don't run out next time I jump one!!"

It was 5 minutes before I could explain to him....

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Poor guy. That was good of you to be nice to him. I never fault someone who makes a mistake, even if it is stupid, so long as they're humble about it.

It is the arrogant idiots that I can't stand.

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've never had a Desert Eagle but always thought they would be fun to shoot. Might have to get one sometime and just put with the commentary.

And the .270 Win seems like a good game-harvesting cartridge too...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm surprised that the snickerers were at the gunshop instead of down at the boat ramp. Maybe they run shifts to make sure that both places are manned.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Last week I listened to a customer tell another customer that he could do his own back ground check on the internet to see if he was eligible to purchase a firearm.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That's like the Iranians doing there own check on themselves to see if they're complying with the nuke agreement

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Back when I worked for a big gun shop I had several guys come in with a sad look and their guns in pieces in a box. Ruger Mark II's were a good one for that. Seemed to get a few of those every year.

I never dogged them out. Just put their guns back together for them and thanked them for coming in. They always asked for me when they'd come in again.

I didn't suffer the loud mouth idiots very well and that sometimes got my butt chewed.

One of my favorites though was the guy who grabbed up a left handed 700 in 30-06 off the used rack and threw it up to his right shoulder. I let him know we had a nice used one just like it in a right handed gun I'd be happy to show him. His reply, "it don't matter none to me. I'm ambiphibious." My partner on the gun counter blew hot coffee out his nose. I guess that doesn't feel good from what he told me later.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The A5 guy did a dumb thing, but he's not a dumbazz.

He brought it to a professional. A dumbazz would have tried to shoot it.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

617 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,040 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,269
Posts18,448,326
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.