Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm shopping for a CC gun for my wife. She is going to carry this one on her person, not in a purse. She is 4' 11" and 97 lbs, so this will be a challenge in itself.
She currently has a S & W mdl 10 and a Kel Tec P11. The revolver is difficult to conceal on her body w/o producing a bulge. The Kel Tec 9mm is getting difficult for her to work the action (as we age we lose muscle mass). I am considering a 380 as my fingers are too fat to reload 32 ACP brass.
Ruger and KelTec are high on the list, but what other 380s should I look at? It needs to be light, tiny and easy to operate (both mentally and physically).
Your ideas?

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
I'm shopping for a CC gun for my wife. She is going to carry this one on her person, not in a purse. She is 4' 11" and 97 lbs, so this will be a challenge in itself.
She currently has a S & W mdl 10 and a Kel Tec P11. The revolver is difficult to conceal on her body w/o producing a bulge. The Kel Tec 9mm is getting difficult for her to work the action (as we age we lose muscle mass). I am considering a 380 as my fingers are too fat to reload 32 ACP brass.
Ruger and KelTec are high on the list, but what other 380s should I look at? It needs to be light, tiny and easy to operate (both mentally and physically).
Your ideas?
My idea is you need to go bigger and more quality. Any of the 380's are just going to be harder to manipulate due to their size. A larger pistol will give you more to grip to work the slide. There are plenty of autos that are flatter and easier to conceal than old service revolvers. IIRC, Wyoming is a Constitutional Carry state, so if you inadvertently print, it's not a big deal, right? I like the SIG 938 personally. It gives you a much better caliber mainly due to the fact that there are a lot more loads available in the 9 than the 380. It is not much bigger than the 380 but is not hard to manipulate. Very concealable, shootable and easy to manage.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If she is REALLY having difficulty manipulating things, get her a model 60 Chief's Special. It worked in the seventies and still does. Significantly smaller than the model 10, yet easy to manipulate. Rugger makes some good guns...like the Blackhawk and model 77.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
LCR.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by deflave
LCR.

Travis

That

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As to working the slide, what I have found with some women, is if they keep the arms straight, and twist the shoulders, they have an easier time working a typical auto slide.

I have not handled one, but Glock has a .380 now, IIRC.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Always avoiding COCKS...

Dick Special or Cobra....in 32 Long.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just got the glock single stack 380. Love it. Very similar to the LCR in size. Glock 42. It's worth checking out

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Kahr makes a .380. Otherwise, LCR.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
A 3" J frame .38 with adjustable sights may be just the ticket. Easy to conceal, and with a real set of sights, much easier to shoot well in practice, thus encouraging it.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Bart:

Are there any female pistol instructors - of good repute - in your area that specialize in shooting courses for women?

If there are, a useful thing you could do is drive your wife over there, drop her, and go get some lunch.

A good female instructor knows what works for women and what won't.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Your ideas?
Glock makes a fairly ideal little .380 ACP single stack you should check out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
IMO, for a woman, it would be hard to beat either the Ruger LCR or the S&W Bodyguard 38 sp. with the factory laser.
It's a little lighter than the LCR and also has a great trigger. Also about the same price as the Ruger, but the S&W has the Laser included.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

the Ruger LCR or LCRx in .38 Special, stoked with +P rounds.

if she doesn't mind the extra weight, the Ruger SP101 in .357 Magnum, stoked with .38 Special +P rounds.

my supposition only, but i believe that in most cases, if a woman is going to be attacked, it will usually be one adversary--so high capacity is less of an issue.

gals need a rig they can employ right now--on demand--and the revolver is the better choice for most of them...no slide to struggle with, no safety to manipulate, no de-cock to be remember, etc., etc...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beretta Tomcat or similar?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ya see, this is what happens when you get old!! I went from memory and said she had a S&W M 10. Turns out it is a mdl 36 (5 shot J frame 38 Spl). With her short rib cage and small waist, this gun is hard for her to carry w/o the butt or cylinder sticking out. Yes WY is Constitutional carry, but we are 2 miles from the next state and go there often.
The SP 101 is too heavy for her to carry (but I carry one in the winter), and most other revolvers will have the same problem as the M 36. I'll look into the Glock, SIG, and see what S&W/Taurus is offering. I've handled an LCR in the fun store but have never shot one. After handling it, I opted for the SP 101 for me.
The nearest class would be 75 miles away, and while I don't know if they have a "women only" class, she might be able to fire a few different guns and see what she likes. Then we will have to see if it will fit her body.
One of her friends has a Kahr 9mm and my wife can not operate that slide. I don't know if the 380 is easier or not. My dad has a Tomcat (if that is the blowback 32 ACP from Beretta - again, my memory), while my wife likes the size to carry - the trigger is horrendous!!

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Ya see, this is what happens when you get old!! I went from memory and said she had a S&W M 10. Turns out it is a mdl 36 (5 shot J frame 38 Spl). With her short rib cage and small waist, this gun is hard for her to carry w/o the butt or cylinder sticking out. Yes WY is Constitutional carry, but we are 2 miles from the next state and go there often.
The SP 101 is too heavy for her to carry (but I carry one in the winter), and most other revolvers will have the same problem as the M 36. I'll look into the Glock, SIG, and see what S&W/Taurus is offering. I've handled an LCR in the fun store but have never shot one. After handling it, I opted for the SP 101 for me.
The nearest class would be 75 miles away, and while I don't know if they have a "women only" class, she might be able to fire a few different guns and see what she likes. Then we will have to see if it will fit her body.
One of her friends has a Kahr 9mm and my wife can not operate that slide. I don't know if the 380 is easier or not. My dad has a Tomcat (if that is the blowback 32 ACP from Beretta - again, my memory), while my wife likes the size to carry - the trigger is horrendous!!
The reason the Tomcat is so often recommended in cases like your wife's is that you need never work the slide, due to the tilt up barrel which allows loading the chamber without working the slide. Pretty innovative.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Take, actually have her take a look and handle a Ruger LC9-S, not a bad little 9mm package IMHO. Slide is pretty easy seeming to my arthritic old hands.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My wife had the j frame for years, I had the trigger worked and it was not bad. She just did not handle it all that well she is 5 foot tall as well. She has been very happy with the Kahr p380 she has now. She can shoot faster and with better accuracy with this pistol. Further it is more compact easier to carry. I have the glock 380 and a Kahr CW380 as well. Of the three the glock is the biggest and easiest for me to shoot, my wife prefers the P380, I got the CW380 in case we ever stay at a motel 6 and need two of the same small 380's smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T LEE
Take, actually have her take a look and handle a Ruger LC9-S, not a bad little 9mm package IMHO. Slide is pretty easy seeming to my arthritic old hands.

And a much improved trigger on the new versions also. I'm carrying a Glock 43 9mm as a BUG right now. But I'd have no problem carrying the Ruger or recommending one to someone for a CCW. I've had several women in my CHL Class quailify with the LC9, and like the fact that the LC9-S has a Safety.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

604 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 74 invisible), 2,038 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,263
Posts18,448,214
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.