Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Well, it hit the fan this year. Lots of guys are scrambling...
Tags are still available where I hunt but won't be for long. If you're looking PM me, I'll check a couple times a day for a while

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My favorite spot is up in smoke.
There are fires everywhere. Link

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank God we have sporadic rain today(!!!) and more forecast for tomorrow....driest weather most have seen here in many, many years if not ever. Most logging operations have been shut down and loggers have been fighting fires.

Humidity was 5% the other day...unbelievable.

We were worried about losing our acreage here, hunting has ended up very low on the priority list even with the wife and daughter both drawing excellent local cow elk tags..

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
There closing down the whole forest up here..No entry...

Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forests Human Entry Closure

Incident: Red River Complex Wildfire
Released: 42 min. ago
Due to public safety concerns, Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forest officials are in the process of closing all managed lands to human entry, EXCEPT the Palouse Ranger District.

They request that:
1. Recreationists currently on the Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forests relocate to areas outside of national forest system lands safely away from fire activity, and

2. Prospective Forest visitors find alternate locations away from the Nez Perce-Clearwater national Forests at this time.
Roadways are open for people leaving the forest. For state and county road closures please contact your local Sheriff’s office and the Idaho Transportation Department.
Your cooperation is appreciated.

Jayco

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's pouring out there right now...thank God.

We didn't think it was ever going to rain again....thinking it has rained once since mid May. 90's+ every day.
We're north of Moscow about an hour...

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Broomed

Glad to hear you're getting the rain, I'm an hour + south and it's just starting!
Yippie!!!!!
Please lord, let it pour and keep the yellow shirts safe!
LJ

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
With the high winds that kicked up this afternoon I had heard that they were evacuating Priest Lake and Priest River. A real mess up here.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by broomd
It's pouring out there right now...thank God.

We didn't think it was ever going to rain again....thinking it has rained once since mid May. 90's+ every day.
We're north of Moscow about an hour...

Glad to hear you folks got some moisture. Nothing here on the Snake today, an hour or so SW of Moscow, except a few drops. Humidity was up though which might help.

Fella at work says they are doing evacuation notices down around Peola WA and farmers down that way are plowing the stubble to slow the fire down if it gets out of the forest. Area burned around 10 years ago too.

Elk hunters in this part of WA are wondering what the season's going to be like for them too.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hope that you see some much-needed rain tomorrow...it is forecast around here....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't see the mountains form my house due to smoke form Idaho and Washington. And we're south of Denver.

Hope you guys get a LOT of rain.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 08/29/15.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Amazingly, most of southern Idaho has been largely spared...so far. It's very dry out there, though, and a big one can get going in no time at all. The curse in much of the west is cheat grass. A wet winter & spring makes it grow thick and tall. When it dries off in late June, it makes the rangeland a fire bomb waiting for a spark.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Well,today is the bow season opener along with wolf and last night they did this in my area:

Being on or using the following area (National Forest System lands) within the North Fork, Lochsa-Powell, Moose Creek, Red River, and Salmon River Ranger Districts Fire Closure is prohibited.

The Salmon river is closed also to fishing or floating from Riggins to French creek.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My logging outfit been shut down for a week due to very dry conditions up here in northmost idaho... we were on of the last crews to be shut down.

Then being we had idle equipment, I was deployed with the dozer to fire lines around houses, open up 'dormate' roads and such to help keep EVERYTHING from burning. Somr cases it worked, some cases the fire consumed everything.

It is dry this year no doubt about that, But a little more management of forests and rangelands... 'aiming specifically at federal owned ground' and the powers to be that are incharge of such, could have curbed this frigg'n rediculess fire season from being as bad as it is. Nobody wins with these fires, nobody. Federal policy has got to change... but thats anouther WHOLE ball of dirty wax

We got some rain today thank god, cleaned the air and settled the dust. My throte is raw, eys scratchy but far from what others had happen to them.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boom, you guys have my utmost respect...you loggers and the deployed fire crews are tough-ass hombres. It is dangerous, dirty work to say the least.

It's absolutely pouring out there right now, this should greatly alleviate fire danger here for the remainder of the Summer if it keep blowing and sheeting like it is all day long.
I ran 2.5 miles in it this morning, never felt so good...

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Amazingly, most of southern Idaho has been largely spared...so far. It's very dry out there, though, and a big one can get going in no time at all. The curse in much of the west is cheat grass. A wet winter & spring makes it grow thick and tall. When it dries off in late June, it makes the rangeland a fire bomb waiting for a spark.

A good bunch of SW ID burned about 3 years ago....I'm sure that's helped the number of fires here.

Thoughts and prayers for you all up north.....it doesn't seem to be getting any better, year after year.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Its been pouring rain for over an hour here in St. Maries. All of the dust is turning to slimy mud, its great. I hope it continues.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Awww shucks broomd...... It is still lightly raining up here, I can clearly see across the valley now, have not been able to for little over a week now and the breeze is COLD.

I cannot see any smoke right now, hopefully all hot spots and fires are killed off with this rain

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
HB.

I will be heading back to where we were last year. Leaving home on the 10th. I will not have a father in law to baby set this year..

Last edited by Fullfan; 08/30/15.

Don't gobble at me
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Akbob5

A good bunch of SW ID burned about 3 years ago....I'm sure that's helped the number of fires here.

Thoughts and prayers for you all up north.....it doesn't seem to be getting any better, year after year.
Cheat grass is an annual and the seeds will survive really HOT fires. The cheat burns hot and fast so the sage, etc. are killed to reduce competition so cheat comes back the next spring stronger than ever. It's the reason that many of the fires are as bad as they are. A range fire without cheat burns cooler and much less intense so the native plants will survive it.
Livestock will eat down the green cheat and reduce the fire hazard but the greenies are adamant about getting the stock off the range where it can do some good.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Akbob5

Cheat grass is an annual and the seeds will survive really HOT fires. The cheat burns hot and fast so the sage, etc. are killed to reduce competition so cheat comes back the next spring stronger than ever. It's the reason that many of the fires are as bad as they are. A range fire without cheat burns cooler and much less intense so the native plants will survive it.
Livestock will eat down the green cheat and reduce the fire hazard but the greenies are adamant about getting the stock off the range where it can do some good.
It's not so much the temperature of the cheatgrass fires as it is the repeated nature of them. Most areas of southern ID were historically on a fire return interval measured in decades. Not uncommon in areas with a lot of cheatgrass to have multiple fires in one decade. Grazing cheatgrass off in a manner to reduce fire hazard is a pretty darn hard thing to do. Timing and year to year fluctuation of cattle numbers being particularly tough riddles to crack. The best approach is to get the areas reseeded, even if only by aerial broadcast.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 14 invisible), 1,659 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.