Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
With Lee products the theory of operation is often quite good, but the execution of manufacture can be spotty.

GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
As MD mentioned, the Hornady seating dies are good, but the Forster seaters are better, or so says my run out gauge.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I always suggest that the way to remove any inaccuracies in a standard 7/8" seater is to go to an arbor press, and Wilson dies.

[Linked Image]

It removes the influence of any potential inaccuracies of the axis of the press's threads, slop in the cencentricity of the die and its threads, tolerances between the threads of the die and the press, flex of a non O-frame press, etc. It has a tight-tolerance chamber which is indexed of the seater-stem's pilot hole--a seater you can swap for either a standard, or VLD style bullet. As a bonus-if your pursuit of accuracy finds you tiring of factory chambers and having custom barrels installed by a decent gunsmith, you can have the dies dimensions cut the same as your chamber, further refining the fit.

I think it provides a more positive and consistent seating depth, as it has a definite, hard-stop, and is not influenced by any potential lash of the ram and lever, or flex in a press.

Lastly, the portability of the whole system allows you to easily develop loads at the range bringing little more than what's shown in the photo.

Failure's always an option
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I concur in that, however with different tools.
Arbor press, Lee dies and Lyman 55. grin

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm also astonished at the concentricity of rounds from my Forster mic-seating die set. It averages about 1.5 thousandths runout.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Buy this first. cool

RCBS tool

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
I am increasing neck run-out mostly from bullet seating. Run-out is consistently around .002" from sizing and then jumps up another .003-4" from seating Barnes tsx using RCBS dies. In your experience, what is the most likely cause? I have always had more run-out created in the sizing process but not in this case. Thank you.

Do you have any compelling evidence at all that such a meticulous non-issue makes any difference at all in translating into accuracy "?

I use my run out gauges and re-adjust the bullets all to center zero deviation. I haven't seen any discernible difference at all in group sizes.

If we are talking about hunting loads it's totally immaterial. If it's championship, competition bench rest shooting - show me any importance at all.!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've blind tested the effect of runout by having a friend who is a good trigger man shoot the ammunition in a rifle known to be reliably precise. He was not informed what he was testing.

In short, runout made a difference.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Put me down as another handloader that seats the bullet half way, spins the case, and finishes seating the bullet. It certainly gives me hunting accuracy with some rifles and loads consistently under 1 MOA. That's all I need for my purposes.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
I've blind tested the effect of runout by having a friend who is a good trigger man shoot the ammunition in a rifle known to be reliably precise. He was not informed what he was testing.

In short, runout made a difference.

mathman, was it a "significant" difference or did it actually matter in real life?

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
perhaps a little more info would be helpful here to my original question. This is a hunting rifle that has been tuned: proper bedding, trigger stoned over a bit, good quality scope of known performance and a new douglas barrel that has only around 50 rounds or so thru it. However, it has been a challenging rifle to get shooting well. My original question wasn't intended to get into overall ways to improve accuracy of the rifle, but only to address the concentricity issue. I've read some conflicting info on how much out of round will actually cause measurable changes in hunting rifle accuracy, but getting the bullet started down the barrel straight seems to make sense. On the other hand, another rifle I've played with this year seems to shoot surprising well with like .010-.012 run-out which really surprised me. Because of the difficulty of getting this rifle to shoot as good as I'd like, I'm looking for all the simple inexpensive ways that just MIGHT affect accuracy. If I could see another 1/4" or so of improvement, I'd be worth it to me. Right now 3 shot groups, and this is with a bullet weight that would not be my first choice, runs around 1 1/4" at 100 yds. The bullet weight I'd prefer doesn't do that well.

So perhaps another question might be how much bullet run-out have you seen actually affect HUNTING rifle accuracy and to what degree?

Thanks again all for sharing your expertise.

Dan

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
ruffedgrouse: I learned this stuff from Mule Deer's writings, who said that runnout of .005 and under would show good results in hunting rifles,and experimenting with some troubled rifles showed this to be the case.

So, the stuff that measures .005 and under gets shot for groups and the stuff over that is used for off hand. It works pretty well with factory ammo, too.One 30/06 simply bug holed 150 gr Fusion factory ammo, after I culled anything over .005.

Anyway this is what I have seen myself.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting thread. I found this link informative.

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.rifle-reloading-bullet-run-out.html

That I am nowhere near there in my reloading, goes w/o saying.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Ready
Interesting thread. I found this link informative.

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.rifle-reloading-bullet-run-out.html

That I am nowhere near there in my reloading, goes w/o saying.

The need to chamfer and deburr with "machine like accuracy" is overstated. I achieve low runout after using hand tools to perform those operations. Also I use a Wilson trimmer which produces more consistent/square trimmed cases that the RCBS the author touts, and which I also have.

The RCBS competition seater, while a step up from the usual seating dies, is not quite in the same league as the Forster and Redding competition dies according to the runout checking fixtures I've used.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Maybe that new Douglas barrel has the chamber itself out of concentricity. It wouldn't be the first time such a thing has happened.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
So perhaps another question might be how much bullet run-out have you seen actually affect HUNTING rifle accuracy and to what degree?

Thanks again all for sharing your expertise.

Dan

I've seen a marked improvement going from .006"-.009" to less than .005" with a good shooter and an accurate sporter. This was with Lake City match ammo fired from accurate 308 rifles.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I also must comment that I’ve tested turning the case after seating the bullet halfway many times, using conventional seating dies in many cartridges, and have yet to find it makes any significant difference in consistently seating bullets straighter. Evidently it makes a difference with some dies, in some instances, but I have never seen it.

I agree, I've never seen it make a difference either.

One thing I have noticed is unsquare case mouths are disaster. Often putting fireformed cases, and cases that are full length resized between each firing back in the case trimmer and squaring them up it is plain to see some case necks will stretch on one side more than the other, usually ones that have large neck thickness variations, this is evident in that it takes a turn or three until a few or often several thou has to been removed until finally cutting around the whole circumference of the mouth making it square. When seating a bullet on an unsquare case mouth the base of the bullet hits the tallest point of the mouth pushing it off center and tips it crooked, doesn't stop tipping it hits the low side of the mouth. This starts the bullet down the neck off center and tipped and stays crooked until it's seated all the way causing runout. Turning it in the shellholder as you seat it doesn't fix this. Add to that uneven neck thickness and it's pretty hard to seat a bullet straight in that scenario.

Personally when I want to make straight ammo I don't fiddle with turning cases in shell holders, and trying to straighten them after seating, I think that just screws up neck tension. To make straight ammo I turn necks and make sure the case necks are 100% square. When this is done no matter what seating die I use I get pretty concentric ammo, it would be hard not to.

Last edited by bushrat; 08/31/15.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
There are a number of other good seating dies as well. One of the best bargains in the business is the standard Hornady.

I've been switching form RCBS to Hornady and am pleased. Good products.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You need to use a little item made by Forester....(I think) that has three brushes and the container holds powdered graphite; brushes fit various calibers! If the button on your depriming pin is a little rough, the case mouth...when run down on one of the brushes picks up graphite and applies it to the interior of the neck. This application lets the case, when being pulled downward slide much easier over the sizer button. What can take place in some instances is the shoulder of the case can be pulled out of alignment because of being hard to slip over the sizer button. Also...putting an 'O' ring under the locknut on the resize die and not 'hogging down' the die (letting the die float) against the press helps!

Wilson inline seating tool is a valuable asset!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've recently seen interesting improved run-out numbers after switching to a Lee collet neck sizer, from both Hornady and RCBS dies in 7-08.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

437 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 2,025 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.