Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I am increasing neck run-out mostly from bullet seating. Run-out is consistently around .002" from sizing and then jumps up another .003-4" from seating Barnes tsx using RCBS dies. In your experience, what is the most likely cause? I have always had more run-out created in the sizing process but not in this case. Thank you.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Do you seat 1/2 ways and then turn 180 degrees to complete seating?

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Could be uneven neck thickness, uneven chamfering, or a poor match between the shape of the bullet and seater stem. But standard seating dies, unlike more sophisticated dies, don't have a relatively bullet-diameter cylinder to hold bullets reasonably straight while they're being pushed into the case neck.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
mr. saddlesore: No on your 1/2 seat and then rotate. Apparently you've found that to help. I'll give it a try.

And no Mr. B, haven't neck turned with these cases but will also give it a try with a couple to see.

thank you much for your input.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You don’t necessarily have to neck-turn them. Instead you can just select for reasonably even neck thickness, not more than around .001” in variation.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
ruffedgrouse, I do similar process as saddlesore,only I fully seat, then rotate 180 degrees. It seems to work pretty well. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Try for very even inside neck chamfering with a gentle angle.

The reloaders Foster inside/outside tool I have's inside angle must be 30 degrees.

The tool I use from my late dad's tool box is marked 15 degrees. That does an excellent job.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I fixed my concetricity problems by buying Forster seating dies .

Neil

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There are a number of other good seating dies as well. One of the best bargains in the business is the standard Hornady.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Another + for Forster bench rest seating dies. Hornady could be great too but I have never used them.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
With a standard RCBS seating die there's an extra step I do that may help you.

Set the die in the press so the crimp shoulder does not contact the case mouths and lock the die down. Back the seating depth adjustment screw out all the way. Now turn it back in a tiny bit so it's not in a bind.

Now try to seat a bullet. Depending on the bullet it may not even start in the case, or it may start in a little bit. Either way, adjust the seating stem so it starts the bullet into the case a small amount like .04" or .05".

Seat all of the bullets this way.

Once they're all long seated go back and adjust the seating stem to seat the bullets to the desired final overall length.

If your brass isn't plagued with bad necks and you're careful with your technique you may find the runout is cut down a decent amount.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
thanks all for your help. I do have a Forster seater for my .270s but not for this round. Will start implementing suggestions and let you know the progress.

dan

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
So FIRST, how does it shoot loaded as is?

I do the 180 thing out of habit, even with good dies... fwiw.

but I'd worry on the paper first and then if thats not satisfactory, go to solve the now exising problem.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
I am increasing neck run-out mostly from bullet seating. Run-out is consistently around .002" from sizing and then jumps up another .003-4" from seating Barnes tsx using RCBS dies. In your experience, what is the most likely cause? I have always had more run-out created in the sizing process but not in this case. Thank you.

I first experienced this 40 years ago.
The first thing you need to take a serious look at, is the press itself.

Change dies and cartridges and see if you are getting the same thing across all of your cartridges as some cartridges are less effected by this misalignment and others are not scrutinized as much if not perceived "Highly accurate" cartridges.

Also, take into consideration the age of the press you are using.........An older press is more likely to have misalignment between the die holder tapping and the shell holder, which can also mean the primer shaft alignment.

Naturally, it is/was more prevalent with turret style presses because of the multi drilling necessary to accommodate all of the dies. Having the turret head as an additional press component to align didn't help either.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That depends on the turret press. I load 6mm PPC’s on my Redding T7 using Redding Competition dies, and without any tricks like turning the case 180 degrees during seating, the rounds come out averaging around .0005” runout with 65-grain Bergers.
I also must comment that I’ve tested turning the case after seating the bullet halfway many times, using conventional seating dies in many cartridges, and have yet to find it makes any significant difference in consistently seating bullets straighter. Evidently it makes a difference with some dies, in some instances, but I have never seen it.

John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
A technique that has worked for me sometimes is to seat the bullet a couple of millimeters, then spin it on the runout gauge. You can then straighten, spin it, straighten again if necessary. Then seat the bullet to desired depth.

It doesn't always work, (i.e. with neck thickness problems) but it's worth a try.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
And people say my extra step is tedious.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I found that one brand of seating die may work better than others. I found a RCBS seating die gave me straighter ammo than a Lee seating die.

Your mileage may vary......

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Richdeerhunter
I found that one brand of seating die may work better than others. I found a RCBS seating die gave me straighter ammo than a Lee seating die.

Your mileage may vary......

All of my RCBS seating dies turn out .003" TIR or less. It's all about how you adjust them... Hint..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 44mc, Ashworth, 11 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,260
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.