Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
U
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
I'm lucky enough to have a true friend living across the cul-de-sac from my family. 40 years my senior, WW2 P-47 pilot, widowed, and an absolute champ of a man. His 4 sons all live within 10 minutes, but can rarely make it over to see him. He's a wonderful "extra" grandpa to my daughter, and I've been blessed with some amazing stories over a good Scotch sitting on his patio. It's just my bride, daughter, and me, so when you cook for 3, you're cooking for 4, and I take him dinner 3 or 4 nights a week.

Made Shrimp & Grits and a nice salad tonight. After dinner, I made him a plate and walked over. He was in his chair enjoying a Scotch. I asked him if he'd eaten yet. He said, " No, on nights you don't come over, I just have some ice cream." I told him I had a real treat for him tonight, put the plate on his TV tray next to his chair, and told him I'd get him a fork, napkin, and a glass of tea. While I was in the kitchen he asked " What is this?" I answered "Shrimp and grits" a couple times, but as he'll tell you, he can't hear himself break wind! I walked back in and sat down next to him, he took his fork and dug right in. It made my whole night when he said, "I still don't know what this is, but it beats the schitt out of ice cream!"

I'm a fortunate man. When guys like him are gone (my Dad has already passed), there won't be any more like them.

GB2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
and a tip of the hat to you, for your kindness and care.

PS, I love shrimp and grits myself. laugh

Sam......

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great post and service Sir! The Creator has a special place for folks like you.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Much respect to you , Sir!

Well done.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well done indeed.

A special thanks to you for your service and kindness.

Sean
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice that you take him meals.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by USMC2602
I'm lucky enough to have a true friend living across the cul-de-sac from my family. 40 years my senior, WW2 P-47 pilot, widowed, and an absolute champ of a man. His 4 sons all live within 10 minutes, but can rarely make it over to see him. He's a wonderful "extra" grandpa to my daughter, and I've been blessed with some amazing stories over a good Scotch sitting on his patio. It's just my bride, daughter, and me, so when you cook for 3, you're cooking for 4, and I take him dinner 3 or 4 nights a week.

Made Shrimp & Grits and a nice salad tonight. After dinner, I made him a plate and walked over. He was in his chair enjoying a Scotch. I asked him if he'd eaten yet. He said, " No, on nights you don't come over, I just have some ice cream." I told him I had a real treat for him tonight, put the plate on his TV tray next to his chair, and told him I'd get him a fork, napkin, and a glass of tea. While I was in the kitchen he asked " What is this?" I answered "Shrimp and grits" a couple times, but as he'll tell you, he can't hear himself break wind! I walked back in and sat down next to him, he took his fork and dug right in. It made my whole night when he said, "I still don't know what this is, but it beats the schitt out of ice cream!"

I'm a fortunate man. When guys like him are gone (my Dad has already passed), there won't be any more like them.

Most considerate...God bless you...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
God Bless You for that. Reminded me of making salmon patties for my Dad when he'd be at my house. I made them the same way my Mom always made them for him... and I'd get the same response as he was woofing them down.

"These are good. They don't even taste like fish". smile

I miss him a lot.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for sharing. I too share your respect for men such as he. I love to just sit and try to absorb as much knowledge as I can grab in their presence..

Buy once, cry once.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt
God Bless You for that. Reminded me of making salmon patties for my Dad when he'd be at my house. I made them the same way my Mom always made them for him... and I'd get the same response as he was woofing them down.

I miss him a lot.

Local_dirt,

Could you post the recipe for your salmon patties please?

My attempts at them have NOT been very good. frown

Also, I could use a break from moose meat!

John

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Thanks for sharing,you are exactly right when we lose all the men and women from that generation this country has lost a national treasure.

Mark

" America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by local_dirt

I miss him a lot.

Local_dirt,

Could you post the recipe for your salmon patties please?

My attempts at them have NOT been very good. frown

Also, I could use a break from moose meat!

John

Sorry jpb, didn't see your reply earlier. This is very close to what I do, but never leave out the green onion, plus this girl's blog has some nice pics. smile

Enjoy!

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/tuna_patties/#ixzz3cgEfDRiE

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Local dirt,

Many thanks!

Lots of recipes on the net for salmon patties, but clearly not all are good.

The two recipes I tried were rather tasteless but I see the one you posted has Dijon mustard in it, so it is likely to be an improvement with more taste!

John

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John, you're welcome, sir.. And a lot of the internet recipes are not going to have any kind of heat either. Given my love of sambal, it makes its way into a lot of my cooking.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
345 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 2,177 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,859
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.