Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Anyone out there have any experience with a PTR rifle. They have moved to South Carolina from the Northeast to get away from the anti-gunners, lower taxes, lower wage rates etc.

ARIC

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Nope, but I want one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
had one for a while.
fine weapon, just to heavy for me. reasonably accurate and reliable. throws brass into the next county and with the fluted chamber reduces the life. if I where to be in a serious fire fight I would take a PTR or a cetme over the 223 ar just for the authority of the 308. but then I like big bullets so I got an ar in 458 socom. bang flop

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interesting, folks thinking big bullets give bang flops.

I got a 50 beowulf... have taken probably 10-15 animals with it. have yet to see a bang flop.

Never mind bang flop is related to bullet placement, not caliber. IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I have the PTR91 GI. Never had a jam, and plenty accurate. Great value for the money. When I bought mine a few years ago, factory new H&K mags were selling for four bucks a pop via military surplus sources. At that time I stocked up on them. Think I have thirty or so. Don't know if they're still that cheap, but likely close.

IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Anyone out there have any experience with a PTR rifle. They have moved to South Carolina from the Northeast to get away from the anti-gunners, lower taxes, lower wage rates etc.

They were in the news recently for having some financial issues due to downturn in gun sales, cost of the move and all. Apparently they are pulling out of that. Hope so. They're your neighbors and I'd surely look at one of their rifles if I were looking for an HK type.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
Interesting, folks thinking big bullets give bang flops.

I got a 50 beowulf... have taken probably 10-15 animals with it. have yet to see a bang flop.

Never mind bang flop is related to bullet placement, not caliber. IMHO.

over the last 50 years I have seen more big bullet bang flops than with 30cal or less. and I have taken at least 3 big game animals per year. lots of bang flops. ymmv

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I have the PTR91 GI. Never had a jam, and plenty accurate. Great value for the money. When I bought mine a few years ago, factory new H&K mags were selling for four bucks a pop via military surplus sources. At that time I stocked up on them. Think I have thirty or so. Don't know if they're still that cheap, but likely close.

I have the same rifle, and same experience, no real issues to speak of. The magazines aren't quite as cheap now, but the sources are out there with deals well below what the AR-15 crowd is paying for mags.

You may get used stocks on yours, they will be probably be genuine HK, but used.

For a clone battle rifle, it's decent option.

Downside, if you ever need parts or want to upgrade, you are buying in the HK market and paying accordingly.

Last edited by AH64guy; 08/31/15.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had one. Great rifle but too heavy for my tastes. I does mark up the brass with the fluted chamber which drove me nuts. You can use steel cased for plinking which is the opposite of what a buddy told me. I called PTR and they said they would rather you shoot steel cased ammo than old military surplus. Said steel is absolutely fine in their rifles.

Scott
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by g5m
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

They were in the news recently for having some financial issues due to downturn in gun sales, cost of the move and all. Apparently they are pulling out of that. Hope so. They're your neighbors and I'd surely look at one of their rifles if I were looking for an HK type.

Hmmmm....interesting. I know that they located in the lower part of SC and got quite a few sate grants to do it. As I work in a similar area, those grants have strings attached that don't always allow someone to just pull out ('Course, depends on the deal reached). That is what happened to the MSAR in NC, when they were not getting the sales, they tried to pull out and found it better to just shut than fight the state Gub-mint over it

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If I was in the market for that style rifle, I wouldn't have any qualms about buying a PTR. I've shot PTR91's and seen them shot a lot. Never saw or experienced a failure of any kind. But, as already mentioned, they're heavy.

I've also had the pleasure of shooting a friend's HK91. Nice rifle, for sure. But, they're plenty proud of them.

Last edited by local_dirt; 09/03/15.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
632 members (257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,957 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.