Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Bond Arms Backup and a rape whistle might work.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
BP-B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by deflave
LCR.

Travis

That

YUP

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My youngest turned 21 last March and she wanted a pistol for her Bday.
She is 5'3" and maybe #125 soaking wet. We fired and also concealed carried pretty much every popular hand gun on the planet but her final choice was a Smith 442 J frame. I paid $375 for a used like new model.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you thought about a pocket holster for the J frame?

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm leaving for the road Monday and am heading to Minn/St Paul instead of Seattle this week. There is a Cabella's and Gander Mtn on I-94 in MN (I think near Rogers). I'll stop in and compare some side by side. Hopefully I can eliminate some and then take my wife to the fun store for the final decision.

She thinks an IWB holster would be best. We saw some here: http://thewellarmedwoman.com/

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Wife has an IWB cross draw holster for her Glock 42, and it works well with an non tucked shirt or sweater.

I taught her to pull with one hand, and push with the other to work the slide. Works good for her!

Virgil B.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My 100 lb 5’ tall wife uses a S&W 442 in the glove box with a SOB holster. Puts it in her purse when needed. Has a glock 19 in a ditch bag in the trunk for sh*ts and grins.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Kahr PM9

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try the LCR, or take a look a the Kimber Micro Carry .380. It has the most easily manipulated slide of any semi-auto I've ever encountered; the recoil spring is something like 8#.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Has she tried the "push" "pull" method for "racking" the slide? That may work or it may not. Most semis, especially the smaller ones are difficult to rack? Strength or technique, preferably both are required to operate them.

If she can work a revolver than I would figure a way for her to dress around it, even if she has to carry off the body which is not recommended but that will be her decision and responsibility. Good luck.

Last edited by Esox357; 08/30/15.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Something like this may be an option? http://www.smartcarry.com/

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Cowboybart: I just bought a Smith & Wesson Model 642 Ladysmith in 38 Special last week.
This stainless and alloy revolver is of the "hammerless" design with a 1 7/8" barrel.
My Model 642 is NOT rated for 38+P shooting but several other (later?) Models of the 642 ARE rated for 38+P ammo.
I have not shot it yet (and may not as I bought it mostly as an investment) but the more I handle it the more I like the feel and smoothness of its design and its small size and light weight.
I think it would be an excellent choice for a smaller woman to use for "CC".
Best of luck to you both with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Stopped by a Cabella's and got to fondle just about everything. The Ruger LCP, I think has the easiest slide cycle of the DOA guns. The Sig 238 and Kimber 380 are easier yet, but I'm not sure my wife is ready for a single action cocked and locked carry. I'll take her out and let her try my Commander and see if she gets the mechanics of it. With enough training cocked and locked will work - I just don't know if she will put in the training time!
I did not find a Taurus 380 to handle, or a Kahr 380 (found a 9mm). Other than that I think I got the bases covered.
One plus is that she will want the purple is she likes the Ruger. If she likes the Sig it will be the multi colored Ti slide. If the Kimber gets the nod the Sapphire finish! If she wants the Kimber the $1200 price tag is gonna hurt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you really care for her, don't let her get the Taurus.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Last edited by supercrewd; 09/04/15.

NRA Life Member
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 4ager
If you really care for her, don't let her get the Taurus.

+10000

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Took the wife to the fun store today. To my surprise she couldn't operate and didn't like the Sig or Ruger, even though the Ruger was purple! She did like the S&W Bodygaurd, but had a hard time holding onto the slide. The serrations are very faint on that model and something would have to be done. I was thinking that 2 beads of TIG and a refinish of the slide would solve the problem. The Glock 42 was the most difficult for her to operate but she could do it. One of Supercrewd's links show a wide gizmo to go on the back striker of the 42 to make moving the slide easier, this would be needed for her. It also was the largest and felt the heaviest.
The winner.... The Kimber Micro (in sapphire of course). She could operate it with the hammer cocked and with it de-cocked. The size and weight were right and it is thin enough for her to conceal. She did like the slide and front strap serrations on the Micro Raptor better, the looks of the Sapphire won her over. Story of my life - champagne taste on a beer budget!! GB lists several that do not have the $1200 price tag like the one in the shop.

I'm gonna call Kimber and see if they can do a Sapphire model with the Raptor serrations.

Have yet to lay my hands on a Taurus and based on your recommendations, I won't search one out.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just about a year later and my wife is tickled with her new toy. Reading my post above - WOW look how things have changed. Turns out she did like the Kimber but settled on the Glock. She didn't want me to spend that much money on a "pretty" gun that she would be afraid to scratch or put wear on.
I did get her the wider striker plate, larger mag release and larger slider release. The gun fits her, she can operate it, and she loves the Cerakote!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is what I got my wife, LCR .38 to carry and for practice a LCR .22. Both now have Crimson trace.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by T LEE
Take, actually have her take a look and handle a Ruger LC9-S, not a bad little 9mm package IMHO. Slide is pretty easy seeming to my arthritic old hands.

And a much improved trigger on the new versions also. I'm carrying a Glock 43 9mm as a BUG right now. But I'd have no problem carrying the Ruger or recommending one to someone for a CCW. I've had several women in my CHL Class quailify with the LC9, and like the fact that the LC9-S has a Safety.

two models of ruger
the LC9-s has an external safety and a magazine disconnect.
the LC9-s professional has neither.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
478 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 42 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.