Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bankcardrep1
I do appreciate all the input. I am not looking for sympathy. I know I screwed up. I also know that I was 18/19 and brain not properly wired at the time. And considering the change in political climate about marijuana use and that I have committed zero crimes in a lifetime there might be a fair chance that I could have the record changed or a "waiver of some sort.

Short or throwing money at an attorney.
Don't give up.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I believe recent court decisions have upheld the rights of formerly convicted felons in some cases to participate in the 2nd amendment guarantees. Perhaps it may be easier now if you cite these decisions.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It might be easier to get your type of discharge changed. Applying and working toward a General discharge might open up doors.
Other than that: AZ, VT, WY, AK are places that don't require permits to carry concealed.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bankcardrep1
I do appreciate all the input. I am not looking for sympathy. I know I screwed up. I also know that I was 18/19 and brain not properly wired at the time. And considering the change in political climate about marijuana use and that I have committed zero crimes in a lifetime there might be a fair chance that I could have the record changed or a "waiver of some sort.

Short or throwing money at an attorney.

I hate to sound cynical, but I don't think the political or cultural climate regarding MJ use is going to have any effect on a technical finding the military used to classify your discharge. I wouldn't spend a dime on an attorney that hadn't successfully done it previously for someone else.

Secondly, everyone makes mistakes. There are very few people walking around that don't have some undisclosed criminal behavior in their past that wouldn't pop out with just a few questions on a polygraph; they just never got caught and have never been hooked up and asked relevant questions.

As is so often the case with all of us, the act itself can be forgiven and forgotten but the consequences of our actions just doesn't go away.

Last edited by 41magfan; 08/29/15.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There is no change in climate. You still can't smoke dope in the military, you'd still get something less than an honorable discharge. Applying today's civilian attitudes to the military of 1979 (or 2015) is not a valid argument.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
79 is before my time. I went into the Navy in 84, and drugs were a no-no then. I was told the crack down started when a Lt and Ensign destroyed a half dozen planes on the Nimitz's flight deck. Pilot/Nav and 90% of the deck crew tested positive for THC. I think that was around 81 or so.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by 700LH
Thread should be titled
"Gun laws that only hurt the law abiding"

I guess I need something explained to me: in what way would being busted for drugs be considered "law abiding?" Just curious.

Tom

Yes! a life sentence seems appropriate.

If he wanted to be illegal he would have just carried the damn thing and fug the state law.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why not just ask the President for interdiction?

The champion of the war against the war on drugs thinks your getting the shaft, so maybe he can author a letter on your behalf?

Just don't tell Øbama why your discharge should be changed...

(only the center sentence was sarcasm)

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Thread should be titled
"Gun laws that only hurt the law abiding"

I guess I need something explained to me: in what way would being busted for drugs be considered "law abiding?" Just curious.

Tom

Yes! a life sentence seems appropriate.

If he wanted to be illegal he would have just carried the damn thing and fug the state law.

It's something that he should have tried to change WAY back when.

Regardless, as you see, this is part of the price to signing your life over to Uncle Sam and why many aren't cut out for it.

You're bitching is akin to people that buy a house next to an airport then complain about the noise.

Everyone, including the OP, knew the price going in. He signed the dotted line. If you don't like know that a bad discharge will follow you around for life either A) Don't [bleep] up whilst in the military or B) Don't join

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everyone, including the OP, knew the price going in. He signed the dotted line.

I didn't they drafted me. laugh

No problem here with what the USAF did at all.

It does seem excessive to lose 2nd amendment's rights for life, for doing what is now legal in several states.

Edit:
I also assume that law was not on the books when he smoked that dope.
Ex Post Facto, if so his offence should not apply.

Last edited by 700LH; 08/31/15.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

It does seem excessive to lose 2nd amendment's rights for life, for doing what is now legal in several states.

Edit:

He didn't lose his 2nd Amendment rights, just his ability to get a CCW permit.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Edit:

Still a life sentenced for doing what is legal in other states.

Punishment above and beyond.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Edit:

What law are you talking about? The CHP law in NC? It's identical to most CHP laws in every other state. NC was a "no issue" concealed carry state prior to 1995; i.e., you could not get a permit to carry in the state at all.

Even if it was not on the books at the time, it does not make it an Ex Post Facto law. Such a law makes something illegal that was legal at the time, and enforcement retroactive. What the OP did (doing drugs while in the armed forces) was illegal then, and it is still illegal. The penalty is still the same in the military. The provision for carry has actually gotten LESS restrictive in NC (going from no issue to shall issue) over time, but the restriction on the level of discharge from military service that applies has not changed at all.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Edit:

Exactly. Until/unless the OP's state goes Constitutional Carry, or the entire U.S. goes Constitutional Carry, the permit is subject to the statutes governing it, and in almost every state that issues a permit his level of discharge from military service is a bar to a CHP. He can still own firearms, and he can still bear firearms (openly, in the course of target or recreational shooting, or hunting, etc.). He just can't lawfully carry a concealed firearm.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What law are you talking about? The CHP law in NC? It's identical to most CHP laws in every other state. NC was a "no issue" concealed carry state prior to 1995; i.e., you could not get a permit to carry in the state at all.

Even if it was not on the books at the time, it does not make it an Ex Post Facto law. Such a law makes something illegal that was legal at the time, and enforcement retroactive. What the OP did (doing drugs while in the armed forces) was illegal then, and it is still illegal. The penalty is still the same in the military. The provision for carry has actually gotten LESS restrictive in NC (going from no issue to shall issue) over time, but the restriction on the level of discharge from military service that applies has not changed at all

My mistake, still IMHO excessive, heavy handed laws from a to often draconian oppressive gooberment.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
See if you congressman can help you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Even if it was not on the books at the time, it does not make it an Ex Post Facto law. Such a law makes something illegal that was legal at the time, and enforcement retroactive. What the OP did (doing drugs while in the armed forces) was illegal then, and it is still illegal. The penalty is still the same in the military. The provision for carry has actually gotten LESS restrictive in NC (going from no issue to shall issue) over time, but the restriction on the level of discharge from military service that applies has not changed at all

My mistake, still IMHO excessive, heavy handed laws from a to often draconian oppressive gooberment.

You mean the one that governs how people who are serving (in his case - VOLUNTEERED) in the military and who are the nation's line of defense, in whose hands are trusted the lives of many, are barred from doing drugs? Laws like that one?

He hasn't had a problem with the discharge in 36 years and only now cares when a law that went into effect that gave most people in his state the privilege to carry concealed (a privilege that did not exist in that state prior) impacts him because of his previous illegal activities.

The CHP law won't change unless/until it goes Constitutional Carry. Getting his service record changed (the only avenue left open to him after more than 15 years out from discharge) is damned near impossible - ESPECIALLY for something that still carries the same penalty or worse in the uniformed armed services today.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You mean the one that governs how people who are serving (in his case - VOLUNTEERED) in the military and who are the nation's line of defense, in whose hands are trusted the lives of many, are barred from doing drugs? Laws like that one?

You didn't read what I already wrote did you?

So how is denying him the Right to "bear arms" not taking away at least part of his 2nd amendment rights?

We're just going in circles here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He is not denied the right to bear arms. He can still carry openly in that state, and he can still bear arms while engaged in any other lawful activity. He is NOT permitted to carry concealed.

Therefore, he is NOT denied his Second Amendment rights.

I read what you wrote, as have others. You still haven't caught on that you are and were in error.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I tend to agree that requiring a permit is dening a part of ones second amendment rights, but we lost that one decades ago. Why should one need a permit to exercise his 2nd amendment rights? He shouldn't, IMHO. I am no lawyer and did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

439 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 2,029 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.