Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by Scott F
I was hauling a load of Pepsi one time with a borrowed heavy haul tractor. It was over a hundred thousand gross so I was using the tractor drop axle down. Hit a bump and thought I was going to shake the whole rig apart. I hit the switch and raised the drop and it quit, lowered the drop and went on fine. Delivered the load and headed empty to the shop. New shocks and it was fine. Soda loads in the plastic two litre bottles will tip in a trailer and make a real mess. I didn't tip that load or any other I hauled. I was shocked when I opened the doors and found it still standing and no soda pouring out.

Talk to some of the boys that hauled "Swingin' Meat" through the Roger's Pass.

STUPID to have allowed them to drive that fast in the #1 place

#2,...alla' those hippies down in Vancouver B.C. hated us anyway, called us "blue eyed arabs", and as vegetarians seemed to take delivery of an inordinate amount of Alberta Beef.

everybody slow the F down !

GTC

I never drove swing meat but I understand it is like driving a half full tanker without baffles. eek

Haney taught us to drive all day with a two litre bottle half full sitting on the floor next to the gear shift. Drive all day without tipping it over and you passed.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 66niteowl
Anyone here experienced the death wobble in a Ford F-250 ? I had my first a couple days ago and hopefully my last , unnerving to say the least

96 dodge cummins did that to me. Not a fun experience...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
'96 Cherokee has it, randomly starts as you accelerate to about 45. Didn't know Fords could get it.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of different causes on a coil spring live axle, from insufficient castor angle to worn components, out of round tires or wheels, even incorrect tire pressures can aggravate it. Never experienced it on my own trucks, but saw a 2nd Gen Ram 1500 do it on I-25 near Fort Collins last year. It was so violent I could hear the banging with my windows closed, and watched wisps of tire smoke from the fronts as they touched down at an angle to the pavement.

Last edited by badger; 08/29/15.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 88 superduty that will do it on occasion. Definitely will wake you up. Never experienced it at highway speeds, i don't think I want too.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Had that happen on my 06 dodge 2500 at a high rate of speed. Replaced tires and it never happened again.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
damn I thought he was talking about the Clinton campaign...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never drove swing meat but I understand it is like driving a half full tanker without baffles.

All hearsay, but I have been told that milk tankers are real bad because they will not let them baffle them, for sanitary purposes. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 66niteowl
Anyone here experienced the death wobble in a Ford F-250 ? I had my first a couple days ago and hopefully my last , unnerving to say the least

96 dodge cummins did that to me. Not a fun experience...
I recently replaced all the ball joints on my '08 Dodge Cummings. It hadn't gone into a full blown shimmy on my yet but I could feel it getting close a few times. Dodge has been ordered by the courts to have a buy back program because of it. Mine is one of the bad ones. I don't know yet what they're doing or what they're offering to buy back. It hasn't got that far yet.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have an old 67 chevy truk that would do that every time I drove it. Imagine a truck built in 67 having worn parts. changed the ball joints and it never did it again. It now is awaiting restoration. My pop bought it for me when I was 15 y.o.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B3

E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
1976 ford 4x4 did it bad.The rubber bushings in the front were bad. Replaced them and all good again. ED K

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I had it happen several times on a 91 F150 that I bought brand new. Never lifted it or made any modifications other than putting all terrain tires on it.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Suspension lift kits / Not for girls that stay in girly places.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why don't I drive a Ford? Well that answer is simple...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I see a lot of older Ford pickups going down the road with the front tires at an angle. The square body Fords especially. Ball joints. The 7.3 OBS Fords really liked eating ball joints and wheel bearings. If a Box Chevy is doing the death wobble is an incorrect steering angle (Bubba Inc. lift) or the steering stabilizer is completely shot and running bigger than stock tires.

Last edited by k20350; 08/30/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Why don't I drive a Ford? Well that answer is simple...

I think you'd prefer a Ferd F-15000

U can haul a whale and it makes u grow extra testicles....... And the US Gov't classifies it as 8 tanks not a truck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8P5vGcf-NU

Last edited by k20350; 08/30/15.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by milespatton
I never drove swing meat but I understand it is like driving a half full tanker without baffles.

All hearsay, but I have been told that milk tankers are real bad because they will not let them baffle them, for sanitary purposes. miles

Food grade tankers cannot have baffles. I think they are set up to be full whenever they hit the highway.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
It is a common problem on Chrysler products. Most of the time caused by worn tracking/stabilizer bar. About a $350 fix on my 98

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/30/15.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by saddlesore
It is a common problem on Chrysler products. Most of the time caused by worn tracking/stabilizer bar. About a $350 fix on my 98

It's gonna be an issue on most any vehicle when the pittman arm, center link, tie rod ends and ball joints get sloppy. Loose wheel bearings will add to the problem.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It is that and more.
Makes the nerves go on overtime and it lasted for me for days.

Did drive a 8000 barrel tank with a 6 speed mack hooked up and let me tell you,one should not try any of that Joey Chitwood style of driving with a short load.
Also found out that the only brakes on the rig were the air trailer brakes and with them it took about 3 miles to come to a complete stop.
When in the shop it took 8 drums because they were cracked.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (12344mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 3,324 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,304
Posts18,468,097
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.