Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MagMarc
I've used a Weaver V10 for nearly 20 years on a 300 Win. The view is different but you get used to it. I bought one of $119 close outs just to have. Use it before you decide. My wife loves hers on her 243, and my brother has put a few miles on one on a 270.
I've had one on a 243 for 16 years and like it fine. As you say, the view is a little different but it's clear, bright, holds zero year to year and the actual field of view is just as wide as the other scopes I own in it's power range. In other words, the so called "tunnel effect" amounts to doodly squat.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
Brand loyalty, some people like anything their company puts out

I'm loyal to what I know works and doesn't leave me stranded.... I've had too many leupolds take a chit on me to trust them... You learn after you get burned a few times... Or at least you should.. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've used a Weaver V10 for nearly 20 years on a 300 Win. The view is different but you get used to it. I bought one of $119 close outs just to have. Use it before you decide. My wife loves hers on her 243, and my brother has put a few miles on one on a 270.
I've had one on a 243 for 16 years and like it fine. As you say, the view is a little different but it's clear, bright, holds zero year to year and the actual field of view is just as wide as the other scopes I own in it's power range. In other words, the so called "tunnel effect" amounts to doodly squat.

That's a good summary. Mine has never lost zero, even riding a 300 shooting full power loads.

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Redfield (made by Leupold) is the best bargain I have found lately.
I have a pair of 2-7s

Last edited by BMT; 08/29/15.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Burris FFII is a great scope for under $200

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Those of you who think that a $200 VX1 is a good scope that that price point need to look through more optics. They are pathetic. The FF-II is twice the scope at worst. The Weavers and Nikon Prostaffs are better, there are myriad chinese scopes better...

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Good lord ,next thing the we will be hearing is that Barskas and Tascos and all the clam shell packaged scopes that Wally World sell are better scopes than a Leupold VX1 !

Funny stuff here !

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've got a nib burris c4 3-9 with the cds type system if sell for $200. It was a package deal through cabelas a few years back and comes with their $65 tactical rings.

Bb

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Burris FFII.

An added plus is that that IMO, the Burris ballistic plea is the best drop compensating reticle out there (if only talking about the basic ones). I like it much more than the Leopold B&C or LRD and the Buckmasters (those large circles are absolutely horrible) or even Vortex.

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a couple of Burris FFII and a couple of Bushnell Elite 3200 scopes, and I rate both as excellent value for money.

One of the Burris scopes has the Ballistic Plex reticle and, while I'm not usually a fan of these types of things, it does seem a good one of the type: nice and simple, and not trying to do too much. It is in the 3-9 on my Brno Hornet, and under still conditions it really does make it easy to stretch that accurate little rifle out a bit.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Blackheart

That's a good summary. Mine has never lost zero, even riding a 300 shooting full power loads.

I find the tunnel vision issue with the V10 to be distracting, so it is a non-starter for me. If you don't mind that aspect of the V10, then it might be a good choice for you. I don't directly own any shares of any business related to the firearms industry, so I don't have any hidden agenda regarding my dislike for the Weaver V10. IOW I'm not trying to sell you anything, for any reason.

I have several recent production V16s and think that they are an excellent scope for a rifle with minimal recoil. I have them installed on 17HM2s, 17HMRs, 204s, 223s, and 22-250s. I also have a few RV7s around, but only one installed, on a CZ 452FS in 22LR. Also have several K2.5 and K3 ElPaso Weavers installed on 30-30 and 35 Remington woods rifles.

All of which reminds me that I need to start selling the superfluous "stuff", as neither of my kids are interested in shooting or hunting and it would be a PITA for them if I was to die and leave them with all that "stuff" to dispose of.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think (I don't know) that sometimes certain optics just don't work well with certain eyes. I also think (I actually know this because I have seen it) that sometimes people pick up a scope, look through it and make their determination right there in the store without adjusting the scope that it's not a good scope. I think some scopes just make a better marriage with our eyes than others.

A scope is one of those things that has to be used to see if it is really good. Use it in bright daylight. Use it on a cloudy day. Use it 25 minutes before or after sunset. Use it 25 minutes after sunset with the last of the day's light to your back. Unfortunately, until you use one, you really won't know how good it is.

If I were looking for the best $200 scope, I start with a VX-1. Mine (old style) is a good one.

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sightron sii. Should get one for around $200. Better than a VX1 IMO.

Last edited by m77; 08/29/15.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
In need of a scope for my wifes Ruger American 7mm08. Thinking of Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 plex, also was looking at the Leupold Rifleman for her, any thoughts on the rifleman scopes?

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by pymi
In need of a scope for my wifes Ruger American 7mm08. Thinking of Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 plex, also was looking at the Leupold Rifleman for her, any thoughts on the rifleman scopes?

The price is so close to the VX1 and the Redfield Revolution...I think I'd get one of those instead of the Rifleman if I went with a Leupold.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Comparably speaking, The Rifleman is not worth the price, nor close.

After owning/using multiples of most every scope mentioned, I have concluded that the new model VX1 is not only the best scope value today, but maybe one of the best ever. I now own 4 of them.

I have always liked my Weaver Classic 3-9x38s (NOT the 2-10Xs) and they remain a solid value IMO. As do the Redfield Revolutions.

I still own 2 FF2s. Both with LRS. But I'll never buy another, as 3 have failed.

But for myself, it's easy. If I'm in the market for a "cheaper" scope, the VX1 will get the nod every time now. You can't get more for less..........

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
To me a scope should be a long range proposition...meaning I'm going to keep it a long time. The VX1 may be a good value but nothing beats the VX2 when one considers longevity, value, warranty and brightness/clearness. At $50 more amortized over 20 years it's a whopping $2.50 a year. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 08/30/15.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How many times has a Redfield Revolution been mentioned?

Note, the Redfield parallax can be re-set by anyone just like the Leupold, have one set to 50 yards and sitting on top of a Benji Marauder.

But 200 would be just as easy.

Dave

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TheBlueMountainApe
Burris FFII.

An added plus is that that IMO, the Burris ballistic plea is the best drop compensating reticle out there (if only talking about the basic ones). I like it much more than the Leopold B&C or LRD and the Buckmasters (those large circles are absolutely horrible) or even Vortex.

I agree 100%

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 2,993 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,702
Posts18,456,802
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.