Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Got a walnut handled one in my pocket now. Cleaned a few deer with it. Got to watch out for that lock though.

My favorite is a Gerber 2" or so folder I got with a pair of Danners years ago. Light, thin and strong. Don't carry it anymore, 'cause I keep losing it. Next time I might not find it.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Anything Victorniox.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had a Buck 110 ... maybe the first knife I ever bought. I find that it's a hell of a lot of weight per inch of cutting edge. Fine for the truck. I prefer a lighter knife.

For a while they made the 110 with a titanium body. Should have bought one. Hell, I should have bought 3.

Instead, I get by with the Gerber LST family, a medium size one in my pocket and a "magnum" in my pack. They're cheap if I lose them, light to carry, and take and hold an edge well enough to get a deer out of the field ... that is really all the function I require.

My favorite fixed blade utility-price knife is a Buck Vanguard with the rubber handle.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Schrade 141OT, either old USA stock or new China made. If you want a nice well-balanced heavy-duty fixed-blade working knife.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I got hold of a couple of VG-10 blanks for right on $20 each. Probably the best knives for gutting and disassembling deer I'll ever get my hands on. I put curly maple on one and some nicely figured walnut on the other.been using them for 3-4 years and have yet to sharpen either one. I gutted, skinned and disassembled three deer in '13 and four in '14 with the walnut knife.

VG-10 steel is incredible stuff, but it's usually a lot more expensive. Very hard, extremely abrasion resistant, sharpens surprisingly easy. I've been using it for about fifteen years, mainly for butchering.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I had a Buck 110 ... maybe the first knife I ever bought. I find that it's a hell of a lot of weight per inch of cutting edge. Fine for the truck. I prefer a lighter knife.
Tom

Tom -

One of my 110s has a synthetic, black plastic, handle. It is 'noticeably' lighter than the wood handle one.

Actually ordered that one by mistake. My son in hi school could carry a pocket knife with a certain length. Don't remember exactly how long. I ordered this 110 syn. not realizing how long it was.

I got him another and kept this one. Sharp point, excellent cutting edge and LIGHT. I don't know if they are available now or not.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bangeye
How about knives? In this day of having to have a custom knife made of exotic steel forged by elves , let's hear about some of your trusty old $20 knifes that has served you well in the field.

I could go on but let's hear about your $20 favorites.

In keeping with the OP's question, these Kabar Doziers are a great cut/$ value and have served me well in the field. But they are $0.23 over the price point.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...IKX0DER&pf_rd_r=00FD2BQ26AS4F5R1QTGM

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sure a lot of positive reviews on that Ka-bar Dozier knife. Had to have one lol! Thanks 725.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jwall
Mtn B -

Y E A H ***

I'm only 1/3 the knife looney that I am Rifle Looney. People like>>>YOU<<< will make me spend mo money!!!

Jerry

Pretty sure you'll need a couple more!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by fluffy

$20 at the local home improvement store.

Really. "argggh" "argggh" !!

"Gotta get me some" !!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by super T
jwall, wow you're up early, good morning to you. Yeah, you must be careful them(Outdoor Edge knife) 'cause they are sharp. They are also very strong unlike the easily broken Havalon Piranta replaceable blade system knife.

I own a bunch of Knives, including knives from Marbles and very nice custom ones from Winston. I have an old 110 and an equally old 105 Pathfinder that have served me quite well.

But these days I carry a very old Buck trapper in my pocket and an Outdoor Edge 90% of the time.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm outta town now. Just left W W. Got a couple of pics to post this PM.
Incl. prices

Plus a pic of my B 110 w/Syn. Handle.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Lonny
Kershaw Chill-$16.

It's my everyday carry and works well for me. Really like the clip, which is handy as hell when you are holding something with one hand and need a knife in the other. It gets used like a tool for everything from cleaning battery terminals to cutting up something dead. Worst thing about it is the word "China" on the blade...

I really can't wrap my mind around packing a $300 custom for what I need a knife for, but to each his own.

Not saying that your way of thinking is wrong or that mine is right, but by that line of thinking the only gun that is worth carrying is a Ruger American in 30-06. At least when it comes to dollars spent for a piece of gear to perform a necessary function. A truly well made knife, especially hand crafted, is something that I truly enjoy.

God bless,

MM

Last edited by mitchellmountain; 08/30/15.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Okay - Made it home. Before lunch the wife and I stopped at W W and I looked at and took a couple of pics of knives.

[Linked Image]

This Buck 119 and price shown. I bought one yrs ago $30.00

[Linked Image]

This B 110 is now $28.00

MY 110 weighs - 7.4 oz
[Linked Image]

This is a B 110 LITE - weighs 3 oz.
[Linked Image]

Note the similarity between the 110 blade and my Remington. They are not the same but close. I like both.
[Linked Image]

The Remington weighs 4 oz.
[Linked Image]

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
For some reason, I have always hated the Buck 110...cant tell you why, just dont like them. Now, the Case Shark knives, on the other hand...

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Was at Cabelas this spring, they had Kershaw 3/4 tons for $7.90. I bought 4 of them.

Very sharp, haven't used them for anything too substantial yet.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've been using a Buck 119 for years and love it. Holds an edge very well and it's not so pricey I worry about using it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
We all have our preferences. Red-Blue, Ford-Chevy (can you believe some EVEN like dodge?) grin.

I remember my Dad and His Dad raving about a certain brand of knives. Actually there were 2 name brands and they merged.

Well, well, things certainly have changed. Over the yrs. past I've had several of 'those'. They ARE easy to sharpen but WILL NOT hold an edge. I would not give a NICKEL for any 1 of them. I still have a 'few', don't know exactly, I remember 3 or so. They just occupy space.

There is another brand that is highly praised. They have never melted my butter.

The O P asked about what we USE, not what we don't like.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This last year I tried out a Buck Omni Hunter. It has a nice wide skinning blade(folder) that held and took an edge very well. Used it on four deer without issue. Aside from that I have two Moras in my pack when hunting. Can't say enough good about them for the price.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,163 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,135
Posts18,464,707
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.