R
For me,filling the freezer would be first and foremost

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RTSJ
Just don't understand this argument. I've killed a buck with my bow since I was 13 yrs old. Got a crossbow a few yrs ago for the kids. I used it for two yrs because it was something new and exciting and different. No different in carrying a 30-30 with open sights one day and ur 7LRM with a NF the next. I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself. If u want to hunt than u hunt with whatever u want with whatever weapon u choose.

Roy

Exactly!

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I used a crossbow one season when I broke a collarbone. Can't say I liked it, but I was at least hunting.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
if you were shooting a matthews you were shooting a vertical crossbow for all practical..

Drawing is an issue, but if you've hunted any, you have that figured out, I've never not been able to draw when I needed to, IE on an animal I wanted to take.

I've never been able to get the right angle on em many times, and clear not to hit 2 or more at times, so I've never drawn or shot.

The crossbow thing is in your head. Hopefully you've gotten it out of your head.

I too, was once arrogant in my youth about things like bow vs crossbow.

LT has it right, as long as you treat it as you should, practice and distance, its all the same.

Good luck with it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bea175
Mathews Outback ...

If I had a shoulder issue, this is one of the last bows I'd be trying to shoot honestly. I have one, the drop off is so steep it felt like it would rip my (healthy) shoulder out of socket letting it down. I replaced the cam with a Switchback XT cam (would have to find my notes but think a 1/2" shorter draw cam and a new length string was all it took), and it's a much sweeter bow. It has 40-60lb limbs, and am in the process of setting it up for my 13yr old now (I shoot a Switchback XT and a DXT).

IC B2

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
something to look into , thanks

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
yeah, thats the ticket, try something that might re injure the shoulder just becuase you are to damn stubborn and arrogant about bow/crossbow.

Crossbow all the way and a crank to cock it.

Get over it. You hunt with a gun some too right.........

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Jeff, you're too dam cranky man... ,

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I got a crossbow last year basically because I don't have enough time to practice with my normal bow.

I can shoot inside of 2" up to 60 yards with the crossbow, but that's all the range you get.

Anyone who says you get more range with a crossbow doesn't own one, or was not too responsible to begin with.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got a crossbow this year when my state made them legal for deer hunting. I like it. I can shoot it in the basement into a cube made to catch the bolts.

It's quiet and can't be heard upstairs.

The one I got cost just a little over two hundred. The styro cube target was not free however the entire thing is fun and something new.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495
yeah, thats the ticket, try something that might re injure the shoulder just becuase you are to damn stubborn and arrogant about bow/crossbow.

Crossbow all the way and a crank to cock it.

Get over it. You hunt with a gun some too right.........

I have already purchased a crossbow and have it setup, sighted in and ready to hunt with. I may like hunting with it, because it is much more accurate than I expected.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by tmitch
In my book, being out there in the deer woods is more important than what's in your hand.
YMMV

...or in your head.

There's no way I'd NOT hunt with a x-bow if it meant not being in the game at all.

We have a winner.

My now late FIL hadn't bow hunted in many years. More than 10, and WI made x-bows legal for guys 60 and over. He bought one, started early fall hunting and fell in love with bow hunting all over again.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,664
Posts18,455,763
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.