OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Alright the bore was a nasty sob:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Worked on it for about an hour this morning before taking it to the range. It was real windy anyway, so I figured shooting wouldn't be good, but it died down a bit and then I went...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
First group fired with the rifle. Not zeroed in at this point:

[Linked Image]

It's nice when a new (to you) rifle shoots sub moa on the first group you fire with it, but 1.339" isn't too bad from a pump gun and 200gr. pills...

Next group fired:
[Linked Image]

Remember, I'm working on loads for this one right now and the bore is still pretty copper fouled.....

Next group:
[Linked Image]

Figured I better check this load again since it shot sub moa on a windy as fu ck day. I re-adjusted the scope to get closer to the orange dot:
[Linked Image]

Wind blew my target stand down once and then it started to sprinkle. I wanted to test the function of the rifle with some off hand shots. 5 shots in about 5 seconds:

[Linked Image]

The slide felt a little gritty compared to my lefty wingmaster, but it worked great. The trigger broke very crisp and cleanly. The LOP is still a hair short, but I figure with hunting jacket on it will be about perfect. I think I am going to leave this one alone: Not even put the recoil pad on it either since it is really a puzzy cat to shoot. I'm liking it quite a bit and think the 200gr. Partition is elk worthy. I'm glad I bought those 400 when they were $13.45/bag. Nothing wrong with these seconds from SPS.. wink ..

I forgot to mention, I did as my buddy RGK suggested and shot 3 shot groups and while I was letting the barrel cool I shot some groups with my 223 rem. I had to test the wind with the little boring rifle. It wasn't shooting as well as it normally does, so I know the wind had an effect on the groups today. Exactly how much? I wont' know until the next time out.

[Linked Image]

Well, I better go and clean the ol girl. More copper to mine... sick

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Mule Deer, I didn't realize you had the .35 Whelen in a Rem. pump..
I looked the guy up his handle is Ulvejaeger... He has shown several elk killed with his .35..

I'm here.....
My 760 is a 270 JES rebore to the 35 Whelen and has worked well w/everything I've tried bullet wise. I have settled on either 250 Hornady RN's or Partitions in the same weight. Many elk have met their demise w/either bullet. It is fun, the comments are entertaining, to be the only one in camp shooting RN's!
And it is also one of those cooooooool basketweave models

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
drop the trigger group and clean the slide channels in the receiver real good. that takes care of the gritty slide most times. i bought a cheap 760 carbine a few years ago that barely cycled. i broke it down found a old cleaning patch jammed into the trigger group and the inside of the receiver was full of muddy looking gunk. cleaned the hell out of it and lubed it with remoil and it shoots 165 corelokts moa all day long.

My diploma is a DD214
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I think that one is going to be fine.
Bob

PS-looking for a lefty 06 BDL 760 ON GunBroker now...

Last edited by RGK; 08/29/15.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger
Mule Deer, I didn't realize you had the .35 Whelen in a Rem. pump..
I looked the guy up his handle is Ulvejaeger... He has shown several elk killed with his .35..

I'm here.....
My 760 is a 270 JES rebore to the 35 Whelen and has worked well w/everything I've tried bullet wise. I have settled on either 250 Hornady RN's or Partitions in the same weight. Many elk have met their demise w/either bullet. It is fun, the comments are entertaining, to be the only one in camp shooting RN's!
And it is also one of those cooooooool basketweave models

That's just plain cool...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RGK
I think that one is going to be fine.
Bob

PS-looking for a lefty 06 BDL 760 ON GunBroker now...

Thanks buddy.. laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
bsa

First of all I'd leave it as is and shoot the 165 or 180 Accubond or Partition.

I have a stable full of 760's and 7600's in many calibers and configurations and proudly take any one of them on all my hunts. They will shoot just as well as most bolt rifles out to 400 with good handloads.

Last fall I used my 270 M7600 to take an Idaho bull at 302yds with a Nosler 140 AB.

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dang whelen nut. You'd think with a name like yours, you would have been telling me to turn it into a 35 Whelen or use the heavies in the 30-06 at least. Now what the hell am I going to do with these good 200gr. bullets??? grin. Most of my shots on elk here, have been sub 100 yards in the timber. I appreciate all of your comments. How do you guys feel about midnight blue cerakoting???? This rifle has a few scratches and a few light spots of rust that will come off pretty easily, but I'd like to have it cerakoted by my local guy that does a hell of a job so it is more weatherized. We get a lot of rain here sometimes during elk season...Here is my 338 win mag that I had cerakoted in midnight blue. I'm thinking about going with the same color on the 760. Is it sacrilege??? :

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I would think not a problem.. There are lots of Remington pumps around.. Don't see the 760's as much as others, but always a few in the used gun racks, especially on the east coast...

Molon Labe
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys, this one has been a long time coming...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just a thought about having JES do a rebore on a 760...a very long time ago I used to shoot a 742 '06 and would stick case's all the time until duoh somebody told me to get a different RCBS die set for stuff being shot out of auto & pump loaders. I grew up on 870's and have always wanted an excuse to buy a 760...and this sounds like the answer, as I miss my 9.3x62 CZ a neighbor talked me out of.

So the ?? is ... if the you rebore/rechamber an '06 etc to a Whelan or 9.3...who makes Small Base sizing dies for those calibers...or do you even NEED to have SB dies at all??
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by verhoositz
Just a thought about having JES do a rebore on a 760...a very long time ago I used to shoot a 742 '06 and would stick case's all the time until duoh somebody told me to get a different RCBS die set for stuff being shot out of auto & pump loaders. I grew up on 870's and have always wanted an excuse to buy a 760...and this sounds like the answer, as I miss my 9.3x62 CZ a neighbor talked me out of.

So the ?? is ... if the you rebore/rechamber an '06 etc to a Whelan or 9.3...who makes Small Base sizing dies for those calibers...or do you even NEED to have SB dies at all??
Ron

I loaded up some ammo using my FL dies and fired them to get the rifle on paper before I started with the 200gr. partitions. They worked flawlessly. I've also loaded for a Winchester model 100 semi-auto, using FL dies and no problems whatsoever. I don't think it is necessary to use small base dies with the pump guns.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
It looks good and I'll bet it gets better. I'm looking forward to seeing where you end up with it.

My 760 shoots the Fusions so well I quit loading for it.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Love the Remington pumps...here's a 7600 in .30-06 (top) and a 760 in 6mm. Both wear late-manufactured Lyman 4X Permacenter All-American scopes, which are a favorite of mine. Both shoot superbly, if you let the barrels cool between groups.
Bob

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice rifles!! Makes me want to rush out and buy one!!

Won't be making my trip to the eastern whitetail states this fall so doubtful if that happens.. Still, I might check around...

Molon Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My dad and his family are from PA, so by all rights I should have had one of these a long time ago.... laugh. Nice rifles RGK... Look to be in primo condition. I wish mine was a little nicer...

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
1917, If you get the hots for another, Grice's in Clearfield, Pa. usually has between 10-20 on the used rack.. I am guessing at that figure, but I check the used stuff there when I am in the area.. Mostly 06's, and .270's.. But some 243, 308, 7mm08, .25-06 once in a while..
I am not sure the chambered them for the .35 Whelen, but I think I may have seen a couple of those.. Will kind of miss my whitetail trip there this year..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Why does 1917's 760 have that step on top the action. Mine has that also but most do not. I have been trying to find info about them and can't find any? Thx, sorry for hijack.

The step was on the BDL versions of the 760. Don't see too many of them.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
1917, If you get the hots for another, Grice's in Clearfield, Pa. usually has between 10-20 on the used rack.. I am guessing at that figure, but I check the used stuff there when I am in the area.. Mostly 06's, and .270's.. But some 243, 308, 7mm08, .25-06 once in a while..
I am not sure the chambered them for the .35 Whelen, but I think I may have seen a couple of those.. Will kind of miss my whitetail trip there this year..

Do you guys see many of the left hand versions?

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 75 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,503
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.